Some old Lions TV clips

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

Someone has been nice enough on YouTube to post a bunch of old CBC and CTV clips from the late 1970s and early 1980s - the kind of stuff that should be on ESPN Classics but never is. Anyway, here are some relevant clips for you Lions fans:

(there is a mention of a new stadium on the horizon during CBC's coverage of a 1978 Lions game in Montreal)

(a 1978 game between two teams in Toronto which David Braley would eventually own)

(the 1981 Western Final in Edmonton)

(a 1978 Ottawa/B.C. game from the old, dark Empire Stadium broadcast by the CTV duo of Peter Young and Frank Rigney)

Enjoy!
David
Team Captain

Thanks for the clips Ravi. I actually own that entire 1978 Ottawa game on DVD, complete with commercials. Had not seen the Montreal and Toronto clips before though.

1978 was the 2nd year of the Vic Rapp era (and RB Larry Key's first year with the team). While fielding winning teams throughout his 6 year reign, Rapp's teams had a tendency to start strong and fade down the stretch. Apparently he worked them too hard at training camp and at practice so they had nothing in the tank come October and November.

Also note that 1978 was the year the club went to a "Cleveland Browns" color scheme - the away uniforms look nearly identical to today's (except for brown being the accent color instead of black). I've never heard a reason why we made such a radical change to brown; it stayed that way 'til 1990. I was hoping to find it in Bobby Ackles' book. It was also the first year of our 'current' logo as seen on the helmets, except today it's an orange lion over dark "BC" lettering, not the reverse.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

fun to see the old names. was 1978 33 years ago - Yikes.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

always nice to hear lancaster.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
BCLions4Ever
Rookie

David,

I was talking to Kay Ackles and Norm Fieldgate some time ago about the use of the brown accents. Apparently it had to do with Labbatt's when they became the major sponsor of the team (they paid $250,000 in 1976 for "promotional rights" and re-upped in 1981 with $500,000, plus $60,000 per year for 5 years). They did not like the black - it was too sinister or something, so they "forced" the team to go to the chocolate brown. The team couldn't really argue, because they were operating in the red and Labbatt's saved them from bankruptcy.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

ye olde golden rule. those that have the gold make the rules. dig it.
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

I didn't notice a lot of motion in those clips. when did the rules concerning unlimited motion by skill position players go in to effect?
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
Ravi
Legend

David wrote:Thanks for the clips Ravi. I actually own that entire 1978 Ottawa game on DVD, complete with commercials. Had not seen the Montreal and Toronto clips before though.

1978 was the 2nd year of the Vic Rapp era (and RB Larry Key's first year with the team). While fielding winning teams throughout his 6 year reign, Rapp's teams had a tendency to start strong and fade down the stretch. Apparently he worked them too hard at training camp and at practice so they had nothing in the tank come October and November.
That 1978 season was a particularly odd one for the Lions. They started the season 3-1-2 before losing their next six (the Montreal game was the first of those six losses in a row) and then they finished up the season winning their final four in a row including two wins over Edmonton, and the wins over Ottawa and Toronto where a couple of those clips are from. That put them at 7-7-2 but unfortunately it was not good enough for a playoff spot that year.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

BCLions4Ever wrote:David,

I was talking to Kay Ackles and Norm Fieldgate some time ago about the use of the brown accents. Apparently it had to do with Labbatt's when they became the major sponsor of the team (they paid $250,000 in 1976 for "promotional rights" and re-upped in 1981 with $500,000, plus $60,000 per year for 5 years). They did not like the black - it was too sinister or something, so they "forced" the team to go to the chocolate brown. The team couldn't really argue, because they were operating in the red and Labbatt's saved them from bankruptcy.
Huh. Well, at least they didn't force Labatt Blue on the team, which is pretty much where the Blue in Toronto Blue Jays comes from.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

BCLions4Ever wrote:David,

Wow. This is really interesting BCLions4Ever. I never heard this before.

Don't forget 1978 was the year the Vancouver Canucks moved to a black uniform (flying V jerseys). Maybe the Lions wanted to differentiate themselves too? Thankfully we haven't had too many colour schemes/logo changes over the years. It's been fairly consistent.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

thank you so much for posting those videos JohnHenry! I am somewhat new to Canadian rules football, and the CFL Traditions series I just watched taught me a LOT. I've cared about the league since 2006 and watched it regularly for two seasons, but I just learned more in an hour than I have since my first exposure to the game.

It may be a Canadian sport, but it's a game I think the world should embrace. :beer:
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote: [video][/video]
(the 1981 Western Final in Edmonton)
This was certainly a heartbreaker as the Lions almost upset the Eskimos, and they probably could have had it not been a very bad officiating call late in the first quarter. Too bad the clip doesn't show very controversial call but understandably the Lions and their fans were furious when Devon Ford returned a 90-yard kickoff for a TD, only for the officials to rule that he stepped out of bounds at the 2-yard line even though replays showed he didn't. The Lions were not able to convert for a TD after that. And maybe if it was Dewalt instead of Paopao at QB, the Lions would have pulled the upset.

-----------------------------

In the thread that I created about the best Lions WDF win, nobody selected the 1983 WDF even though it was the first time in 19 years the Lions won a WDF to advance to the Grey Cup, and it was certainly a comeback win by scoring 28 unanswered points after the Blue Bombers led 21-11 in the 3rd.

[video][/video]
This clip shows the action in the middle of the 3rd quarter with John Hufnagel completing a long TD pass to Rick House to give the Blue Bombers a 21-11 lead before the Lions made the huge comeback.
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Some good stuff there Robbie. Yes, that was a courageous effort by the Leos against that powerhouse Eskimos team. The defence was superb during that playoff run thanks to the work of coordinator Vince Tobin who went on to hold the same position with the Chicago Bears and eventually an NFL head coach.

And the 83 WF is one of my all-time favourites with Merv Fernandez going off in a huge way to the tune of 7 catches for 260 yds and 3 TDs. The second greatest playoff performance by a receiver in league history. :thup: