Describe your ideal offseason

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

With the season ending on the most positive note possible, what would my fellow BC Fans ideal offseasons look like?

For me:

-Wally stays at Head Coach
-Travis Lulay signs a 3 yr extension
-We retain:
-Aaron Hunt
-Andrew Jones
-Anton MacKenzie
-Dante Marsh or Ryan Phillips
-Paul McCallum

-Somehow manage to keep Sol-E as well
-Find a clear replacement for Jamal Robertson, we need a #2 Rb who can go between the tackles.
-Add some good DE passrushing prospects, Smith did well for us, if Johnson retires we need someone to fill in

Thoughts?
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Rammer
Team Captain

joe kapp22 wrote:With the season ending on the most positive note possible, what would my fellow BC Fans ideal offseasons look like?

For me:

-Wally stays at Head Coach
-Travis Lulay signs a 3 yr extension
-We retain:
-Aaron Hunt
-Andrew Jones
-Anton MacKenzie
-Dante Marsh or Ryan Phillips
-Paul McCallum

-Somehow manage to keep Sol-E as well
-Find a clear replacement for Jamal Robertson, we need a #2 Rb who can go between the tackles.
-Add some good DE passrushing prospects, Smith did well for us, if Johnson retires we need someone to fill in

Thoughts?
My first thought was that is a great Christmas list, just missing Mitchell signing long term. MacKenzie is probably gone along with Phillips given a choice as you indicate.
Entertainment value = an all time low
joe kapp22
Legend

I realized that as well, what a long list of FA's we have this offseason.

3 or 4 key defensive starters are up for a big $$$$, IDK if we can afford to keep them with the SMS.

1140 am is reporting we turned down a Riders request to interview Mike B
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well my first thought involved a long white sand beach, crystal blue waters and the Tahiti National Women's Volleyball Team

however,

Travis Lulay signed to a long term deal
Replacing any losses on the oline with suitable replacements
Keep Mitchell
Keep Hunt
Develop some alternative plans for the safety position. Groom Muamba sp? for that position.
Keep Sol E.
Find a legit kick return threat.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Anyone have any idea of Arland Bruce's contract status .... Annual salary??? Annual up front bonus??? Length of current contract???

Sure hope he is back next season but don't know how much the Ti-Cats had already paid of his 2011 salary to make the trade work with BC to begin with. Geroy is around the $200,000 range and I'm sure Bruce is not too far behind that. Can you work both those deals under the cap without it impacting other areas of the roster?

Wally also has three very key young Canadians heading into the option years of their deals — Harris, Gore and Foster. All three due for significant raises and represent the core of the Lions Canadian content for years to come.

And Wally not giving the Riders permission to talk to Benevides sure sounds like he is setting the stage to step down as HC.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Anyone have any idea of Arland Bruce's contract status .... Annual salary??? Annual up front bonus??? Length of current contract???
Bruce has said recently that he becomes a free agent this offseason but the Lions say they have an option for 2012. According to Lowell Ullrich, Bruce was being paid $190,000 in Hamilton. He signed an extension with a signing bonus and a lower salary last year.
B.C. got a bargain when Bruce took a pay cut off a reported $190,000 deal in exchange for an extra season on his contract. Hamilton also paid him a signing bonus. The numbers may not be quite as palatable next season.

Link
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Anyone have any idea of Arland Bruce's contract status .... Annual salary??? Annual up front bonus??? Length of current contract???
Bruce has said recently that he becomes a free agent this offseason but the Lions say they have an option for 2012. According to Lowell Ullrich, Bruce was being paid $190,000 in Hamilton. He signed an extension with a signing bonus and a lower salary last year.
B.C. got a bargain when Bruce took a pay cut off a reported $190,000 deal in exchange for an extra season on his contract. Hamilton also paid him a signing bonus. The numbers may not be quite as palatable next season.

Link
Thanks BC Fan .... Wally could have a major juggling act with the payroll to keep Arland in a BC uniform next season.
The_Pauser
Legend

I read a rumour that if we re-up Lulay (around $400k) that Andy Fantuz may become a desirable destination when he becomes a free agent in January. It would definitely mean bye bye to Paris Jackson, but there is no denying that a receiving group of Simon, Bruce, Fantuz, Gore and Foster would be absolutely deadly.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:I read a rumour that if we re-up Lulay (around $400k) that Andy Fantuz may become a desirable destination when he becomes a free agent in January. It would definitely mean bye bye to Paris Jackson, but there is no denying that a receiving group of Simon, Bruce, Fantuz, Gore and Foster would be absolutely deadly.
The Lions have no room for Fantuz in the starting lineup or under the SMS. He would have to take Arland Bruce's spot, and I expect the Lions to keep Bruce and Simon together. Gore, Foster, Johnson and Iannuzzi will be allowed to continue to develop. Paris Jackson will have to again accept a limited role as the team's seventh receiver or go elsewhere to be a regular.

If Fantuz doesn't throw away another season chasing a hopeless NFL dream, he'll re-sign in Saskatchewan or go to Toronto. On either team, he can be the No. 1 receiver and be paid accordingly.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Resign Lulay, Elimimian, Marsh, Phillips, Mitchell and Hunt.

Acquire a kick returner and a bona fide safety.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

First, I would like to see Wally concentrate on the GM role...have Benevides take over as HC and promote Randy Melvin to DC, if he will accept.

Second, on offence, we have to accept the fact that Olafoye will be gone next year and have to move forward without him...this is what I would like to see...

* extend Travis Lulay for 3 more years (at least)
* an open competition at RT to try and replace Olafoye...don't just hand the job over to Nick Hennessey
* have Angus Reid come back for at least one more year
* re sign Arland Bruce to a 2 year deal...he is CRUCIAL in this process
* re sign Paris Jackson to back up the kids and contribute on special teams...
* have an open competition between Tim Brown and Jock Saunders for the import RB and KR spot
* Have Dorazio retire and let Kelly Bates take over that role full time...Dorazio has done a good job for a long time, it is time for him to enjoy a retired life
* re sign Paul McCallum to a 2 year deal

Third, on defence, we will likely lose Mitchell, but may be able to keep Eliminian, but there will be consequences...

* with Mitchell gone to the NFL, resign Brent Johnson for one more season as a highly effective backup at DE...the 4 remaining starters could all have a chance to be All Stars next season
* we have to keep the secondary in tact...Marsh and Banks on one side and Phillips and Kornegay on the other...open competition at safety, where Muamba may very well beat out LaRose
* with Marsh, Phillips, Kornegay, Eliminian, Arland Bruce and Lulay all extended there has to be a pay casualty, and that will likely be Anton McKenzie...he played his best ball as a Lion this season, especially during the last 3 games of the year, when it was needed the most, but not everyone can be afforded
* have an open competition at the WILL LB spot to replace McKenzie... Adam Leonard looked like Soloman Eliminian Pt. 2 before he hurt his knee...Amara Kamara looks like a keeper, and Yurichuck gained valuable experience last season and is getting better...Anthony Reddick will thrive in his 2nd year as the SAM LB

If we can achieve these things, I believe we can repeat as Cup champions...our starting lineup would look like this...

RDE - Khreem Smith
DT - Aaron Hunt
DT - Eric Taylor
LDE - Keron Williams
MLB - Soloman Eliminian
WILL - Adam Leonard
SAM - Anthony Reddick
RCB - Dante Marsh
RHB - Korey Banks
S - Cuachy Muamba
LHB - Tad Kornegay
LCB - Ryan Phillips

K/P - Paul McCallum

WR - Akeem Foster
SB - Geroy Simon
SB - Arland Bruce
WR - Shawn Gore
WR - Open Competition with Kierri Johnson
LT - Ben Archibald
LG - Jesse Newman/Hameister Ries
C - Angus Reid
RG - Dean Valli
RT - Open Competition
HB - Andrew Harris
Import HB - open competition between Tim Brown and Jock Saunders
FB - Rolly Lumbala

HC - Mike Benevides
DC - Randy Melvin
Sec - Mark Washington
Sec/LB - Barron Miles
OC - Jacques
OL - Kelly Bates
WR - Travis Moore
ST - McMann, but he must get more out of his teams!!!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Amara Kamara didn't look particularly impressive in his 1 game with the Lions. Matter of fact, Lions cut him from the practice roster.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

struttin' around in my Grey Cup Champion hat.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Not so LionKing...Kamara played well and they have a strong belief in his abilities...he will be at training camp fighting for a starting spot.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Anglophone
All Star

Besides many good points already made, I think we need to actually get some kick return coverage.

On the other side, it would be nice to get Yonus Davis out of prison and back playing. Never going to happen, though...