Arland Bruce run in with Vancouver Police

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Smooth
All Star

The Province is reporting Arland Bruce had a run in with police Sunday over a parking incident. Neither the team or police are willing to comment.
Ravi
Legend

Smooth wrote:The Province is reporting Arland Bruce had a run in with police Sunday over a parking incident. Neither the team or police are willing to comment.
Shortly after the trade, Chris Schultz vaguely alluded to some interaction with Hamilton cops that Bruce had when he was there. I guess that this is one of those things that a team has to put up with with Bruce.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome

Excerpt:
Slotback Arland Bruce's status for this weekend's CFL West Final will not be affected by an incident involving the Vancouver police, the BC Lions said Monday.

"The BC Lions football club has been made aware of an incident involving Arland Bruce and the Vancouver Police Department stemming from a parking infraction on Sunday morning," the Lions said in a terse news release.

"The club and the player will not offer further comment at this time but to indicate that it does not affect Arland's status with the team or his availability for the playoffs."
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MikeAK
All Star

Something tells me this is "much ado about nothing". If the number of times I've had "run-ins" with police over a parking issue was actually penalized I'd probably be watching the West Final and Grey Cup from my jail cell. I am never one to give or make excuses for any grown man but this time I can't help but wonder if this is even news worthy.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

"It's unlikely there will be any further investigation into the incident or that any charges will be laid, Houghton said. "
That sort of says it all. Why would he have a run in with the police? Parking is not usually their stuff. Those meter monitoring ones are the ones that get over zealous. Vancouver would be as safe from street as is Hong Kong if Vancouver had the same level of policing as parking patrol people but we all know why that is - they make a lot of money on tickets.

This sort of publicity is not good for the Lions or the CFL though and not now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

MikeAK wrote:Something tells me this is "much ado about nothing". If the number of times I've had "run-ins" with police over a parking issue was actually penalized I'd probably be watching the West Final and Grey Cup from my jail cell. I am never one to give or make excuses for any grown man but this time I can't help but wonder if this is even news worthy.
Agreed. Something tells me a meter maid was writing up a ticket. He probably said something in the heat of the moment (I've gotten a little testy before myself) and she/he got scared and called 911.

With the bull *poop* parking regulations in this town, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more oftenl

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MikeAK
All Star

Toppy Vann wrote:This sort of publicity is not good for the Lions or the CFL though and not now.
I agree with you but I haven't heard anything about this on the radio or the TV. I'm not saying it was reported on either but it's not something that will be talked about to death. I would think most people don't even know about it so the Lions and the CFL should be fine and not miss a beat.
Rammer
Team Captain

MikeAK wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:This sort of publicity is not good for the Lions or the CFL though and not now.
I agree with you but I haven't heard anything about this on the radio or the TV. I'm not saying it was reported on either but it's not something that will be talked about to death. I would think most people don't even know about it so the Lions and the CFL should be fine and not miss a beat.
TEAM 1040 did mention this, and also that the Lions were aware of it and wouldn't be following up on it any further.
Entertainment value = an all time low
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Yup-you can riot your ass off, destroy public property, camp illegally on said property, cost taxpayers lots of money, but heaven help you if you don't plug your meter! All Arland has to do is break a few windows in a hockey jersey while carrying an "I am the 99%" sign, and he'll be gold with the VPD
Real women wear orange!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:
Smooth wrote:The Province is reporting Arland Bruce had a run in with police Sunday over a parking incident. Neither the team or police are willing to comment.
Shortly after the trade, Chris Schultz vaguely alluded to some interaction with Hamilton cops that Bruce had when he was there. I guess that this is one of those things that a team has to put up with with Bruce.
Hope this doesn't become a trend.
Blitz
Team Captain

Just hope the Players Council doesn't get involved! :wink: :wink:

Bruce will start on Sunday and we need him....and the Players Council knows they do also!!

Jest and satire aside...Bruce has been a very positive addition to our Leos...as much for his example at practices, his work ethic, his professionalism toward s his craft. Not sure why he would get into some kind of altercation over a parking ticket.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
ziggy
Legend

Blitz wrote:Just hope the Players Council doesn't get involved! :wink: :wink:

Bruce will start on Sunday and we need him....and the Players Council knows they do also!!

Jest and satire aside...Bruce has been a very positive addition to our Leos...as much for his example at practices, his work ethic, his professionalism toward s his craft. Not sure why he would get into some kind of altercation over a parking ticket.
Neither Players nor Fans Council :beer: . Actually I heard the Players Council is tied up answering questions before the Warren Commission regarding their presence on a certain grassy knoll???? :wink: .
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Look at it this way. While two cops/parking patrol etc are dealing with Arland, Geroy can sneak through and nail the parking space. :wink:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
MikeAK wrote:Something tells me this is "much ado about nothing". If the number of times I've had "run-ins" with police over a parking issue was actually penalized I'd probably be watching the West Final and Grey Cup from my jail cell. I am never one to give or make excuses for any grown man but this time I can't help but wonder if this is even news worthy.
Agreed. Something tells me a meter maid was writing up a ticket. He probably said something in the heat of the moment (I've gotten a little testy before myself) and she/he got scared and called 911.

With the bull *poop* parking regulations in this town, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more oftenl

DH :cool:

The ultimate irony for me was this one. I stopped behind a Washington car in the skids as we were heading to that well known meat store on Hastings Street - maybe gone now. I was parked in the first space or so off Hastings. I was a bit shocked at how crazy it was that a Wash. car would be there! Ten minutes later we come back and see the US citizens gathered around their smashed in window with the meter person heading up toward us. I bet they were ticketed if over the meter. Oh and it was not dark yet. Just the way it has become in Vancouver DT.

Facts are there is no money in policing for the city...but there sure is in parking and towing and sometimes these meter folks are just way too overzealous.

In the lane behind the old YMCA when parking was allowed I parked to go play raquetball. Three people all came by (Y members) and said I was not too close to the sidewalk. One hour later - ticketed and towed. One of them offered to testify for me if I fought it and he had a commercial parking pass and said there was no way I was in the wrong. He drove me to my car.

But there is a lack of police presence to make sure car windows aren't smashed by druggies looking for coins.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It's a Vancouver tradition, getting towed.

Happened to me three times I think. Maybe more. (Ooops, now I recall 4 times.) One time I'm walking with a couple of friends, we see a tow truck, driving down the street, with a car in tow, and I say, "Hey, that looks like my MGB." LOL Yup.

Couple of other times I arrived as they were hoisting up the car. I calmly asked "How much if you let it down now?" LOL In the 70s at Kits Beach, playing volleyball, someone says, "Isn't that your car being lifted up?" I run across the street, and the guy says: "Ah, $5 will do it. You're not cussing or swearing at me." These people get pretty tired of being sworn at.

Same with tickets. They can have an attitude for sure. A few months ago, I was picking up a friend at her work. I overstayed the meter. We see the meter maid at the car. Before I can say anything my friend starts giving her grief. I didn't even bother trying to talk my way out of it. The hostility was pretty thick.

A professional athlete though, like Bruce, needs to stay out of trouble. I can see, as much as I like him, that this kind of thing can wear thin, and use up a guy's credits in a town.

Same with speeding tickets. I've had my share. And yet sometimes they just give you a warning. What are they supposed to do? Not write anything up ever? Might as well just bite the bullet, be polite, and see if it's your lucky day.