Where to stay for the Grey Cup?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lionsincalgary
prospect

Help!!!

I will be coming in from Calgary for the Grey Cup and leaving on a flight early Monday morning. What is the best part of the city to stay in for good access to and from the game and easy access to the airport in the morning? I will be renting a car while I am there.

Thanks for the help!!!
David
Team Captain

BC Place is located right in downtown Vancouver. The city itself is quite easy to navigate on foot as it's situated on a narrow peninsula. There are literally dozens of hotels/motels in downtown Vancouver and the West End. But I would imagine many of them are full for Grey Cup weekend. I am not sure your price range, but there are 5 good hotels within a stone's throw of BC Place - from the Georgian Court (across the street), to the Hampton Inn, the Westin Grand, Rosedale on Robson, and the Sandman Hotel.

As for a rental car, I would recommend ditching those plans and taking transit instead (you can use the savings for beer!). There's a combination LRT and subway on the "Canada Line" that goes right from the airport terminal to downtown Vancouver (about 20 mins). Get off at the "Yaletown - Roundhouse" station and you can walk 5 minutes to BC Place. There are even hotels in the Yaletown district. I recommend the boutique hotel called "Opus." It's almost across the street from the subway stop.

Hope this helps.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MikeAK
All Star

WOW... I would think you will have a very hard time trying to find a room that weekend. You may have waited too long. I know when we were looking 2 months ago we had such a hard time. Most place were fully booked for GC weekend. My advice is not be picky and grab the first room available.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Not to mention, parking a rental car downtown can be incredibly expensive and isn't always include in the room rate of downtown hotels.

If you can't get downtown, you might want to check the Metrotown area in Burnaby. There are some good hotels right around Metrotown mall, Skytrain is right there, shopping is right there as well and you can get to the airport without much difficulty using transit as well.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Another option that others have not mentioned is to stay in Richmond and take the sky train into Vancouver. We did that a few weeks ago and it worked like a charm. Not only do you avoid downtown traffic, you'll be relatively close to the airport too.
Real women wear orange!!
lionsincalgary
prospect

Thanks for all the help. I managed to get the Marriott Rennaisance Harbourside for $179. Looks likes its close to the skytrain and I can skip the rental car. Will I be happy with this one?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

lionsincalgary wrote:Thanks for all the help. I managed to get the Marriott Rennaisance Harbourside for $179. Looks likes its close to the skytrain and I can skip the rental car. Will I be happy with this one?
purrfect. You're two blocks from the convention centre, where many of the Grey Cup Festival events will be held, close to SkyTrain and within easy walking distance of most of downtown and Stanley Park. The view's not bad either on a nice day.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

lionsincalgary wrote:Thanks for all the help. I managed to get the Marriott Rennaisance Harbourside for $179. Looks likes its close to the skytrain and I can skip the rental car. Will I be happy with this one?
Very nice hotel. That was one of the Olympic Headquarters in 2010
lionsincalgary
prospect

Sounds like I lucked out. Thanks for all the help.