2011 Western Final Ticket Count

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Centrum22
Starter

The official attendance for the 2007 Western Division Final was 54,712. It will be pretty hard to top that, considering that BC Place's capacity post-renovation is supposedly 54,500.

Anyways, I thought it would be fun to post any reliable information on the latest amount of tickets sold over the next two weeks. My prediction is that the Western Division Final will surpass the inaugural game in the new BC Place on September 30th, which had an attendance of 50,213. This prediction is based on the fact that the Lions are on such a hot streak, the last game delivered tons of offence and was so much fun to watch, the Western Division Final decides whether the Lions will be playing in the Grey Cup in Vancouver, and the Lions' marketing has two whole weeks to hype the game and sell, sell, sell.
Last edited by Centrum22 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
MikeAK
All Star

I sure hope it's sold out or close to it. Last West final I was at was also my first back in 2004 and the place was damn near wall to wall people. One of the most amazing events I'd ever been to and I'd give anything to experience that again. With the hype surrounding the team and new stadium roof/reno's, they should sell a few tickets to those who might otherwise not be interested.

The only thing that might hurt the final few thousand sales is the absence of rider nation. Those green bastards might be a lot of things but they sure do rally hard too support their team. Hopefully the Stamps/Eskie fans step up and make the trip.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think the new football capacity of B.C. Place is closer to 52,500, which is about the size of the Grey Cup crowd. They can't equal the attendance at the 2004 West Final.
Big Time
Champion

But they could definitely try to equal the noise! The 2004 Western Final remains to this day the loudest sporting event I have ever attended. My ears were literally ringing by the end of the game. The game was so intense I honestly felt like I was going to have a heart attack! What a game.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Love 'em or hate 'em but the 2007 WDF attendance benefitted bigtime from the Rider effect. There was probably at least 5000 Rider fans at that game. Whether it's the Esks or Stamps the opposition fanbase will not spin the turnstiles to the same tune as they would with the Riders in. Just means all the more room for the rest of us!
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

On a slightly different tangent, anybody know why there are seats hanging just over the railings on the south side of the stadium ?
Spud387
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:On a slightly different tangent, anybody know why there are seats hanging just over the railings on the south side of the stadium ?
If you are talking about the seats at the front of the railing in lower east endzone, it is because they roll out extra seats for Whitecaps games so that the seats on that end go right down to field level.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:On a slightly different tangent, anybody know why there are seats hanging just over the railings on the south side of the stadium ?
Ballistic Bob's penalty box?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Love 'em or hate 'em but the 2007 WDF attendance benefitted bigtime from the Rider effect. There was probably at least 5000 Rider fans at that game. Whether it's the Esks or Stamps the opposition fanbase will not spin the turnstiles to the same tune as they would with the Riders in. Just means all the more room for the rest of us!
Maybe we could trick them into thinking that we're being good CFL partners in this our Grey Cup hosting season by honouring the 1989 Grey Cup Champion Saskatchewan Roughriders at halftime?

:hmm:

No, that would just be cruel. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Big Time
Champion

Hambone wrote:Love 'em or hate 'em but the 2007 WDF attendance benefitted bigtime from the Rider effect. There was probably at least 5000 Rider fans at that game. Whether it's the Esks or Stamps the opposition fanbase will not spin the turnstiles to the same tune as they would with the Riders in. Just means all the more room for the rest of us!
You just reminded me of an old pet peeve - the myth of Rider support in BC. I was at the 2007 final and saw various media outlets (mostly from Saskatchewan) talk about how 20 or 30,000 Rider fans were in attendance that day. I was there in both 2004, 2006 and 2007 and I think you are being generous in suggesting there were 5000 rider fans in attendance. My guess is it was closer to 1500 and they were quiet as hell. They were an absolute non-factor in all three matchups. The Riders may bring in bigger crowds but most of that bigger crowd is cheering for the Lions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:
If you are talking about the seats at the front of the railing in lower east endzone, it is because they roll out extra seats for Whitecaps games so that the seats on that end go right down to field level.
Thanks
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:But they could definitely try to equal the noise! The 2004 Western Final remains to this day the loudest sporting event I have ever attended. My ears were literally ringing by the end of the game. The game was so intense I honestly felt like I was going to have a heart attack! What a game.
Yes, you've stated that several times before, Big Time. That said, do you think you can handle another heart attack scare or would rather have a blowout win like the 2006 WDF or last Saturday night's game at the expense of not having an exciting, memorable playoff game?

As an FYI, the Lions have hosted 10 playoff games since 1983 with a record of 5-5. This is the attendance of all 10 payoff games:

1983 - 59409
1984 - 59421
1985 - 59478
1986 - 40381 (west division semi-final)
1987 - 44385
1999 - 28236
2004 - 55527
2005 - 37337
2006 - 50084
2007 - 54712

1986 and 1999 were huge disappointments, with the Lions defending their title in '86 and hosting the division final for the first time in 12 years in '99.

What is considered a "good" attendance? 50,000+ ?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
almo89
Legend

I called just now to order 4 tickets in the lower bowl. He had a hard time finding tickets and he said the lower bowl should be sold out by tomorrow. He said he couldn't believe how busy he has been today and the number of tickets he is selling per hour. Looks like it's gonna be a sell out.
MikeAK
All Star

almo89 wrote:I called just now to order 4 tickets in the lower bowl. He had a hard time finding tickets and he said the lower bowl should be sold out by tomorrow. He said he couldn't believe how busy he has been today and the number of tickets he is selling per hour. Looks like it's gonna be a sell out.

Sounds like the general public didn't realize tickets went on sale Sunday. Most probably went to bed after the game on Saturday assuming it would be Monday. Either way, sounds like we could be in for a good crowd. :rockin: