TiCats 42 - Lions 10 ... Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Anybody gonna read this? Anybody gonna comment? LOL

Oh Man, what a stinker.

Just not ready. Not ready to play an opponent that had their war paint on. If you show up for a football game, not ready, against an opponent with ill will, you will get your lunch handed to you.

How many laughs were had at Braley's dinner? How much good feeling was there? How much attention to the upcoming game? I think it is time to scrap that dinner the night before a game.

Lulay was a bit off all night.

The TiCats grew in confidence as they saw that they could compete.

Geroy lectured his receivers, but he was not sharp either.

The TiCats had a young secondary. They compensated with a pressure D. We were not ready for it. No screens. No quick passes. It was a brain dead effort from start to finish.

Punt team blocking was a sham. Punt coverage terribly weak. Rolly Lumbala is wasting space on coverage.

Poor tackling showed its ugly head again.

The biggest factor, for which we were unprepared: in football, a motivated, hard hitting team, will smoke a team that is not prepared to pay the price physically.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 17/36 218 1 0
J. JACKSON 0/2 0 0 0
P. MCCALLUM 0/1 0 0 1

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
A. BRUCE 3 51 0 34
M. IANNUZZI 3 26 0 12
G. SIMON 2 32 1 25
J. SANDERS 2 30 0 20
J. LEE 2 24 0 14
K. JOHNSON 2 14 0 10
A. FOSTER 1 21 0 21
P. JACKSON 1 15 0 15
A. HARRIS 1 5 0 5

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
J. SANDERS 4 18 0 9
A. HARRIS 3 40 0 32
J. JACKSON 3 10 0 7
J. LEE 1 1 0 1
A. BRUCE 1 -6 0 0

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
J. JACKSON 1 1 0 0
P. MCCALLUM 1 1 0 0
J. YURICHUK 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 1/1 21 1/1 4

Punting NO AVG NET LG
P. MCCALLUM 12 37.6 393 49

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
J. SANDERS 6 25 4.2 10 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
P. MCCALLUM 3 160 54 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
J. SANDERS 8 161 20.1 28 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
D. MARSH 6 0 0 0
K. WILLIAMS 5 0 0 0
A. REDDICK 4 1 0 0
A. MCKENZIE 4 0 0 0
K. BANKS 3 1 0 0
T. KORNEGAY 3 0 0 0
E. TAYLOR 2 1 0 1
A. LAROSE 2 0 0 0
A. HUNT 2 0 0 0
J. OLAFIOYE 1 0 0 0
A. BIGHILL 1 0 0 0
J. YURICHUK 1 0 0 0
K. SMITH 1 0 0 0
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
K. GLENN 9/18 116 0 0
Q. PORTER 8/10 116 1 0
J. BOLTUS 0/2 0 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
B. GRANT 5 50 1 23
A. COBOURNE 4 39 0 14
M. THIGPEN 2 46 0 46
A. KELLY 2 29 0 24
D. STALA 2 22 0 17
A. BARRENECHEA 1 38 0 38
G. MACKAY 1 8 0 8

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. COBOURNE 14 61 0 24
Q. PORTER 2 24 1 23
D. STEPHENSON 1 8 0 8
J. BOLTUS 1 4 0 4
K. GLENN 1 0 0 0

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
A. COBOURNE 1 1 0 0
D. STEPHENSON 0 0 1 0
R. MARIUZ 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
J. MEDLOCK 7/7 48 3/3 24

Punting NO AVG NET LG
J. MEDLOCK 8 43.4 322 50

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
M. THIGPEN 3 32 10.7 37 0
G. MACKAY 2 26 13.0 18 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
J. MEDLOCK 8 490 69 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
M. THIGPEN 3 70 23.3 43 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
R. WILLIAMS 6 1 0 0
M. YOUNG 5 0 0 0
W. TURENNE 4 0 0 0
R. MARIUZ 3 0 1 0
B. SMITH 3 0 0 0
J. HICKMAN 3 0 0 0
R. ROSE 2 0 0 0
M. KNOWLTON 2 0 0 0
D. WEBB 2 0 0 0
C. THOMAS 1 0 1 0
S. BAGGS 1 0 0 0
E. STEELE 1 0 0 0
M. THIGPEN 1 0 0 0
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Our last 12 offensive series:

(1) 2 & out
(2) clock ran out in 1st half
(3) 2 & out
(4) 2 & out
(5) one first down, punt
(6) 2 & out
(7) 2 & out
(8) one first down, turnover on downs
(9) 2 & out
(10) 2 & out with INT return for TD on a 3rd down gamble
(11) Jarious fumble
(12) Jarious INT

That's four turnovers with a whopping two first downs and zero points in the second half. BRUTAL. :tp:
That is the definition and description of ineptitude.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

No one wants to lose the way we did tonight, but it will serve as a wake up call to get off our collective complacent asses and get back to how we were playing prior to last week's game in Regina.

How Wally and his coaching staff have thought that no injuries will ever touch Travis Lulay this season, so it's not really necessary to have our 2nd stringer with some game reps, and ready in case he is called upon, has come home to roost in Wally's nest tonight.

I would sooner this collapse happened tonight, rather than in our 1st play off game post season, so let's just let it go, take the lessons learned and go back to how we were playing in week 15 in Calgary.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:No one wants to lose the way we did tonight, but it will serve as a wake up call to get off our collective complacent asses and get back to how we were playing prior to last week's game in Regina.

How Wally and his coaching staff have thought that no injuries will ever touch Travis Lulay this season, so it's not really necessary to have our 2nd stringer with some game reps, and ready in case he is called upon, has come home to roost in Wally's nest tonight.

I would sooner this collapse happened tonight, rather than in our 1st play off game post season, so let's just let it go, take the lessons learned and go back to how we were playing in week 15 in Calgary.
JJ has had more than enough game reps in his time with the lions. He knows the plays, he know the coaches, he knows most of the players. If he is not good enough now, he never will be. ON the other hand, what if TL was injured enough to not be ready for the playoffs? Dont you think it would be smart to make sure the "other" guy also has some game reps?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
PigSkin_53 wrote:No one wants to lose the way we did tonight, but it will serve as a wake up call to get off our collective complacent asses and get back to how we were playing prior to last week's game in Regina.

JJ has had more than enough game reps in his time with the lions. He knows the plays, he know the coaches, he knows most of the players. If he is not good enough now, he never will be. ON the other hand, what if TL was injured enough to not be ready for the playoffs? Dont you think it would be smart to make sure the "other" guy also has some game reps?
You are a conflicted soul aren't you KIA? :beer:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I give Hamilton full credit for an inspired performance on defence and special teams. With neither offence able to move the ball consistently, it came down to special teams, and Medlock and Thigpen led the Cats to victory.

All three Hamilton TDs were either set up or scored on special teams, and most of Medlock's seven field goals came as a result of short fields resulting from poor McCalum punts, B.C. no-yards penalties and good returns by Thigpen. The turning point was the blocked punt at the end of the first half. That gave the Cats the lead, and they didn't look back.

The B.C. offence didn't recover from the loss of Andrew Harris. Trailing in the game, they abandoned the run and weren't able to crack the tight, hard-hitting secondary. Hamilton came into the game seventh against the run and pass and with many of their veteran DBs injured but their replacements played like all-stars.

If the Lions had to get one bad game out of their system, this was it. Hopefully Lulay, Harris, Foster and Elimimian will be ready to go next week. The Lioms can't afford another game like this one.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

As disappointed as I am with this loss, I'm going to agree with the apparent consensus here that it was a well-timed loss (i.e., now as opposed to playoffs) and one that will help keep heads straight as the stakes are raised.

In fact, I'll even offer this. There's a conventional wisdom about heading into the playoffs with a strong finish to the regular season. But from having looked at game score archives, long winning streaks to close out the season have not really been a hallmark of the last generation of Grey Cup champions.

The 1995 Stallions won their last 10 regular season games en route to their championship. But that was truly an anomaly: since that time, only two Grey Cup winners have had season ending streaks of more than two games: the 1996 Argonauts and 2008 Stampeders respectively won their last three and four games. Only three other Grey Cup winners (2000 BC, 2006 BC, 2009 Mtl) have won their last two regular season games, and fully eight of them even lost their regular season closer.

Even going back to the opening of BCP in 1983, only four other teams finished with streaks of at least three wins, and none better than five. So the battle tonight may have been lost, but the war has yet to even begin.

Now mind you, none of this is to suggest that tonight's loss somehow improves our championship hopes, but it certainly shows we're not on an uncharted path to the Holy Grail.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:

You are a conflicted soul aren't you KIA? :beer:
:yes: :sigh: but I dont get the connection
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

Not much to say really. Only 3 players came to play tonight.

Eric Taylor
Anthony Reddick
Keron Williams

I was a little shocked at about 3:00pm Hamilton time, when I read this Tweet from Andrew Jones - attending the McMaster football game!
Havin a great time at the mac game in the radio booth with big nate finlay and james edwards. These guys are the best!

Meanwhile Geroy was hawkin' his new Superman81 T-shirt (My thoughts? Cool shirt but.....FOCUS boys....you've got a big game tonight!).

TSN turning point for me with the run back to the 45 yard line to start the 2nd half which put Hamilton in field goal range and made it 19-10.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I give Hamilton full credit for an inspired performance on defence and special teams. Hamilton came into the game seventh against the run and pass and with many of their veteran DBs injured but their replacements played like all-stars.

I remember having Lee, Iannuzzi, and Foster all playing in the red zone too 3rd quarter. Trav under though the TD to Foster on the goaline, but Wally has a problem with having enough faith in his rookies, to stay with them long enough to pay dividends.
B.C.FAN wrote:If the Lions had to get one bad game out of their system, this was it. Hopefully Lulay, Harris, Foster and Elimimian will be ready to go next week. The Lions can't afford another game like this one.

Agreed BCF...I see this lose as coming at the right time to properly shake us down, regroup and reforge our spirits, ready in time again for post season battle! :football:
David
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:As disappointed as I am with this loss, I'm going to agree with the apparent consensus here that it was a well-timed loss (i.e., now as opposed to playoffs) and one that will help keep heads straight as the stakes are raised.
I agree that a loss was not a bad thing, but this was a massacre! I am hopeful this will not damage the collective psyche.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Pathetic.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

biggest shock to me is that in such a stinker, Lulay still had over 200 yards and no INTs...

I have to think that Hamilton prepared for this game hoping that Winnipeg would lose and give them a shot at a home playoff game. If Montreal had done what was expected, Hamilton would have had more to lose tonight than we did and the TiCats responded none the less. Now we have everything to play for next Saturday... lets hope the boys realize that and show up ready to take care of business.