TiCats 42 - Lions 10 ... Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
sj-roc wrote:As disappointed as I am with this loss, I'm going to agree with the apparent consensus here that it was a well-timed loss (i.e., now as opposed to playoffs) and one that will help keep heads straight as the stakes are raised.
I agree that a loss was not a bad thing, but this was a massacre! I am hopeful this will not damage the collective psyche.

DH :cool:
It does allow the Lions to have the potential of two meaningful games to conclude the season in BC Place. Boys must have been well fed at Braley's BBQ, and as you suggested it was a short list of players that came to play and a longer list of those that got nicked in this match. Boys deserve a mulligan, but you don't expect to see their dinner served to them for a second night in a row.

In reality, the Lions played with about the same intensity against the Riders, but with a much different result. You just can't do that against the playoff contenders.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Our last 12 offensive series:

(1) 2 & out
(2) clock ran out in 1st half
(3) 2 & out
(4) 2 & out
(5) one first down, punt
(6) 2 & out
(7) 2 & out
(8) one first down, turnover on downs
(9) 2 & out
(10) 2 & out with INT return for TD on a 3rd down gamble
(11) Jarious fumble
(12) Jarious INT

That's four turnovers with a whopping two first downs and zero points in the second half. BRUTAL. :tp:
That is the definition and description of ineptitude.
What's even worse is the fact that the Lions had a chance to make the necessary adjustments at the half. Yup, Chapball is back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
The B.C. offence didn't recover from the loss of Andrew Harris. Trailing in the game, they abandoned the run and weren't able to crack the tight, hard-hitting secondary. Hamilton came into the game seventh against the run and pass and with many of their veteran DBs injured but their replacements played like all-stars.
So what else is new ? I wonder why we even carry backups; the only action they get to see is from the sidelines.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Was hoping the Lions struggles on offence in five of their last six quarters (dating back to the 2nd half of the Calgary game) might serve as bit of a wake-up call before a potential loss but I guess not. The running game which has been productive for much of the win streak has slipped the past couple of games, mainly due to poor blocking up front, leaving the Lions in a lot of 2nd and long situations.

Opposing defensive coordinators are also doing a better job taking away the middle of the field which is Simon and Bruce's go to zone, by dropping at least one linebacker and keeping their safeties in tight. Some new wrinkles need to be added in the next few days to counter opposing teams being aware of their tendencies.

Special teams were brutal again, first the blocked punt then the big return by Thigpen to start the 2nd half to basically put the T-Cats immediately in field goal range. We were losing the field position battle all night.

Wally made some interesting moves this week with inserting Ruffin over Dennis, throwing Jock Sanders right into the mix and opting to give Mitchell, Solo and Gore additional time to get healthy. Perhaps it was knowing it wasn't a must win situation but the end result is being back in that for the final two games.

With Harris, Foster and even Lulay now dinged up too, sure hope they are healthy enough to get back in high gear again.
Ravi
Legend

I hope that the Lions get to the Grey Cup and win it but I have been a little concerned with their play over the last few weeks. They seemed to peak with their wins in Calgary and the first game in Saskatchewan but haven't really played 60 minutes since. They had a subpar first half in the lid lifter at the new B.C. Place, a subpar second half in the next game against Calgary and did not really get their act together until the fourth quarter in Regina last week. The Lions are still in a great position to finish first as they still control their own destiny in that regard but they quickly have to regain their mojo that they seem to have been ever so slowly losing over the last month culminating in that horrible performance in Hamilton tonight. The lack of offensive consistency and the poor special teams coverage really came home to roost tonight btw.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I think it is dangerous to rationalize a loss as a good thing. But it does seem to work that way sometimes. And a winning streak almost becomes an albatross. "Let's get this winning streak out of the way so we can play some football again."

Hamilton played ferociously. But they didn't play all that great. Their passing and running stats were ordinary.

They kicked the crap out of us on STs though. And that is oftentimes an indicator of overall effort. IMO our STs, aside from McCallum's kicking, have been atrocious for weeks and months.

Their defence played their hearts out. But they were loaded with young guys. They blitzed and used pressure pass coverage, and we had no antidote for that.

This was one of those games, where at times in the past, Wally might say: "We were outcoached." Since 2009, however, it has been too dangerous to use that phrase, since we were doing poorly overall.

IMO this was one of those weeks where Wally should have been snarling all week, screaming even. The signs were all there. Complacency. Easy opponent. Nice dinner with the owner. Hamilton struggling. 8 wins in a row. Undefeated at BCPlace. Possible MOP in Travis Lulay. Geroy in hot pursuit of records. Top of the rankings. First place. Time to rest and relax.

Does this loss have any greater significance? Dunno. But the boys deserve a very tough week of practice IMO.

And poor old Jarious. Time for Reilly as backup methinks.

ST coverage is a huge problem. As is kick and punt blocking protection. STs are Wally's one area of active involvement as a coach. At one time Arakgi (who did not play of course) and Lumbala were very good coverage guys. Not this year. Based on effectiveness I think they should have been benched weeks ago.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:ST coverage is a huge problem. As is kick and punt blocking protection. STs are Wally's one area of active involvement as a coach. At one time Arakgi (who did not play of course) and Lumbala were very good coverage guys. Not this year. Based on effectiveness I think they should have been benched weeks ago.
The unit just looks stale. Typically special teams is about having the opportunity to show coaches you deserve more reps with your downfield hustle. Brendon Ayanbadejo and Javy Glatt both worked their way into starting roles with their ST play. Even last year Shawn Gore had a leading role when he got here. Perhaps players like Arakgi and Lumbala have lost that edge knowing their opportunity to have larger roles have somewhat come and gone. Even Kamara has done very little to standout the past couple of weeks where as an import linebacker you better be prominent when that is all you are basically doing.
David
Team Captain

I think someone should be holding Coach McMann's feet to the fire. He has a lot to be accountable for:

* A blocked punt
* Two 15-yard 'No Yards' penalties again tonight
* A run back to BC's 45 yard line to start the 2nd half
* No blocking for our returner - even on 50 yard punts
* An ill-advised throw on 3rd down by McCallum (I think that was all on PM though. At least I hope so. If a coach drew that up, turn in your pink whistle now!)

Speaking of which....let's look at the bright side. We're still on an 8 game winning streak....when NOT wearing PINK! :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's time to open up more of the playbook to Travis Lulay. Opposing defences have figured out that the Lions have simplified the game for Lulay by taking away his option to keep the ball on the zone read. Defensive ends and linebackers have been able to crash down on the inside run, knowing that Lulay won't pull the ball out. Many times I've watched Lulay roll out to the wide side with no defenders around him. He's had time to mature as a starting quarterback. He needs to be able to spread the field horizontally.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:I hope that the Lions get to the Grey Cup and win it but I have been a little concerned with their play over the last few weeks. They seemed to peak with their wins in Calgary and the first game in Saskatchewan but haven't really played 60 minutes since. They had a subpar first half in the lid lifter at the new B.C. Place, a subpar second half in the next game against Calgary and did not really get their act together until the fourth quarter in Regina last week. The Lions are still in a great position to finish first as they still control their own destiny in that regard but they quickly have to regain their mojo that they seem to have been ever so slowly losing over the last month culminating in that horrible performance in Hamilton tonight. The lack of offensive consistency and the poor special teams coverage really came home to roost tonight btw.
Excellent post. The 8 game winning streak once again mask some of the warts with this team. The offence was very ordinary against the Riders til about 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Ravi wrote:I hope that the Lions get to the Grey Cup and win it but I have been a little concerned with their play over the last few weeks. They seemed to peak with their wins in Calgary and the first game in Saskatchewan but haven't really played 60 minutes since. They had a subpar first half in the lid lifter at the new B.C. Place, a subpar second half in the next game against Calgary and did not really get their act together until the fourth quarter in Regina last week. The Lions are still in a great position to finish first as they still control their own destiny in that regard but they quickly have to regain their mojo that they seem to have been ever so slowly losing over the last month culminating in that horrible performance in Hamilton tonight. The lack of offensive consistency and the poor special teams coverage really came home to roost tonight btw.
Excellent post. The 8 game winning streak once again mask some of the warts with this team. The offence was very ordinary against the Riders til about 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter.
Not one of the playoff bound teams in the CFL have been without warts - and never will be - and yet the good teams will win more than they lose which the Lions are doing now.

As WCJ says it is not good for a team to justify their loss ever as a good thing but for me if there is a game that was good to lose this is the one.

Normally in football as it is just 18 games you rarely hear that but this one might be just what the Lions team need to get their players focused and ready for the final two games and the play offs. It is good to get off that long consecutive win streak as they will always end sometime and history seems to say lose before you get to the playoffs and enter them at your peak.

I am not unhappy with the loss as I felt that if the Lions ran the board in the regular season the pressure would be horrendous on them in the playoffs.

I do agree though that it is rare that losing a game can be a good thing but if coaches and player learn the lessons that are there for the taking, they will be fine.

But ---

Lions clearly need to retool their STs.

The old JC has to get back to the new JC and help his QB when he is struggling.

Wally and JC have to learn to trust their RB replacement as Jamal Lee showed in that failed 3rd down he can do it. We hardly need another Messam here.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:Wally and JC have to learn to trust their RB replacement as Jamal Lee showed in that failed 3rd down he can do it. We hardly need another Messam here.
I agree with you. However, I am not sure that Lee wasn't a bit nicked up when he landed ass over tea kettle attempting that 3rd and 10 conversion. Didn't he seem to limp to the bench? Unrelated, I also heard Andrew Harris in a post-game interview on TEAM1410 made mention of Lee playing "a bit banged up" (or something to that effect). Not sure how as he hasn't played much this year apart from Special Teams. Did anyone else catch that? Anyway, this could explain why he only had one carry (he also has to learn to lower his shoulders....he runs too upright).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

With a few exceptions, Special Teams has been the Archilles heel for the Lions all season. They don't need to be tweeked as much as a complete overhaul. It is frustrating to work your butt off to score only to have the other team get the ball back at center field.
Mikemike
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:With a few exceptions, Special Teams has been the Archilles heel for the Lions all season. They don't need to be tweeked as much as a complete overhaul. It is frustrating to work your butt off to score only to have the other team get the ball back at center field.
New guy Saunders looked pretty promising, but I agree. The whole thing was a disaster, but even if the Offence and Defence had brought their A Game, the Special Teams would have lost this one single handed.

The Offence and Defence has been up and down this year, but the return game and punt coverage has been pretty much consitantly terrible the whole year. I know WB has a reputation for becoming overly attached to his staff, but if Chuck McMann returns next year as the Special Teams Coach I seriously think WB needs to see a psychiatrist.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

I guess I'm the only one who saw Bo Smith do the throat slash motion with 5:10 to go in the 1st? Korey Banks got busted for it a while back-so should Bo.

In other news, I stopped my pvr and deleted the game after the first half.I'd seen enough. Sympathies to those who actually watched it.

On the good side, I got the point spread in my Rona pool. ;)
Real women wear orange!!