Lions 33 - Eskimos 24 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 18/27 288 3 1

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 5 115 2 63
G. SIMON 5 83 1 51
S. GORE 3 25 0 15
A. FOSTER 2 33 0 18
K. JOHNSON 2 31 0 17
T. BROWN 1 1 0 1

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 11 60 0 12
T. BROWN 5 16 0 6
T. LULAY 4 44 1 22
K. JOHNSON 2 15 0 11
S. GORE 1 0 0 0
R. LUMBALA 1 0 0 0

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
J. LEE 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 1/1 23 4/4 7

Punting NO AVG NET LG
P. MCCALLUM 4 44.2 161 51

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
M. IANNUZZI 1 6 6.0 6 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
P. MCCALLUM 7 418 66 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 6 127 21.2 26 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. REDDICK 9 1 0 0
A. MCKENZIE 7 0 0 0
S. ELIMIMIAN 5 0 0 0
K. MITCHELL 3 1 0 0
A. LAROSE 3 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 3 0 0 0
K. WILLIAMS 2 1 0 0
K. SMITH 2 0 0 0
K. BANKS 1 0 0 0
J. DENNIS 1 0 0 0
A. BRUCE 1 0 0 0
A. HUNT 1 0 0 0
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
R. RAY 16/28 255 1 0
K. JOSEPH 2/4 15 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
A. BOWMAN 9 116 0 29
J. BARNES 5 114 1 61
F. STAMPS 2 18 0 14
T. SCOTT 1 14 0 14
C. MCCARTY 1 8 0 8

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
J. MESSAM 12 70 0 14
R. RAY 5 38 0 13
K. JOSEPH 3 28 1 17
C. MCCARTY 2 -2 0 0

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
D. DUVAL 1 1 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
D. DUVAL 2/3 32 1/1 8

Punting NO AVG NET LG
D. DUVAL 3 42.7 122 44

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
J. ARMSTEAD 3 16 5.3 7 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
D. DUVAL 6 371 67 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
J. ARMSTEAD 5 131 26.2 49 0
W. BROWN 1 14 14.0 14 0
R. DAVIS 1 10 10.0 10 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
R. DAVIS 8 0 0 0
W. BROWN 5 0 1 0
D. MUNOZ 4 0 0 0
J. SHERRITT 4 0 0 0
C. THOMPSON 3 0 0 0
D. PITTMAN 2 0 0 0
J. REID 2 0 0 0
J. BRADLEY 2 0 0 0
E. LEGARE 1 0 0 0
R. WILLIAMS 1 0 0 0
D. ALEXANDER 1 0 0 0
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 18/27 288 3 1

Good game by Lulay. One big mistake on the Int.
Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 5 115 2 63
G. SIMON 5 83 1 51
S. GORE 3 25 0 15
A. FOSTER 2 33 0 18
K. JOHNSON 2 31 0 17
T. BROWN 1 1 0 1

Andrew Harris is turning out to be pure gold. :thup:
Dropsies by Gore. One drop by Foster. Johnson showed his reputed good hands.
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 11 60 0 12
T. BROWN 5 16 0 6
T. LULAY 4 44 1 22
K. JOHNSON 2 15 0 11
S. GORE 1 0 0 0
R. LUMBALA 1 0 0 0

Harris :thup:
Lumbala :thdn:
Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
J. LEE 0 0 1 0
Great block by Bighill ... Terrible Red Zone calls by Wally.

Jacques does not get to call the short yardage stuff from the 5 yard line. He should tell Wally to just leave him alone to call it. I was so pi**ed off at Wally for calling the three runs from the 3. And Lumbala on second down. I love Rolly Lumbala but he could not change direction if he was walking. And he cannot find daylight. Yes he can block, but when will Wally stop having him run the ball?
Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 1/1 23 4/4 7
Wally should have taken the field goal after 2 failures to run it in. But no doubt his pride was hurt and he got stubborn.

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. REDDICK 9 1 0 0
KIller game from Reddick :thup:

K. MITCHELL 3 1 0 0 :thup:

K. WILLIAMS 2 1 0 0 :thup:

Ryan Phillips is the one football player I have seen who most avoids contact. If he did not have great cover ability he would be out of the league.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The stadium is beautiful.

Fresh air.

Great sound.

The lighting is beautiful.

Comfortable seats.

The screen is better than watching the field.
Luke
All Star

Only saw the 4Q tonight due to work. The one touchdown drive I saw was fantastic. Travis Lulay is really coming on, I thought he got in the end zone on the run where he stepped out (apparently) at the three. Doesn't matter though, we hit Geroy for a TD on the following play. :yahoo:

The defense seemed to fall asleep after the Geroy touchdown. Then they woke up to stop the Esks on the goal-line. Great stand!! :towel: We've been the least penalized team in the CFL all season long, lets not reverse that trend now. Too many dumb penalties on the Eskies final two drives nearly cost us big. I thought the illegal contact call on Banks was pretty soft. That didn't look like a penalty to me.

What a great finish to the game!! Big win for the Leos moves them into a tie for 1st place, so long as the Riders beat the Stampeders tomorrow.

I would've liked to see more fans stick around right until the end, instead of leaving after the goal-line stand.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Game balls to Harris, Lulay, and the O-line! Lulay had tons of time tonight, and no sacks. Harris had the game of his career. Lulay is a bonafide CFL star. One of the highlights for me was watching the entire offense celebrate Lulay's touchdown run.

Good job by the defense and MB to make adjustments at the half. It seemed to me (watching on TV) that the big crowd was not much of a factor except for a few plays late in the game.

What a difference 2 games make... we go from needing a win to keep our playoff hopes alive, to now playing for first place! I can't wait for next week.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

OK, as you can hear if you listen to the post game show, the concessions were absolutely terrible, running out of food and beer and all after you waited in line for 30 min. I won't get into that.

My question to anyone who might have an idea is about the Eskimos decisions late in the game. First, why would they risk being down by three scores by going for the 2 point convert? Then, when they are pressing for another score, but on 3rd down, why would they not kick the fieldgoal instead of going for it? They would have surely got the fieldgoal and then had a chance to win with a TD.

And lastly, why would BC decline the facemask penalty on their late drive? I've never heard of any advantage to declining a facemask penalty. Wouldnt they still have a first down but be further down the field?

Confused by those calls.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ricky Ray was good. Scary at times. He ran well, as he has against us in the past.

Messam was a horse. He threw some punches and got tossed near the end.

Banks and Kornegay should not have gotten into it. It made the game much closer than it should have been.

Terrible Red Zone to start the game for the Lions.

Wally has to stay out of calling any plays IMO. He should let Jacques call the short yardage from inside the 5.

We let the Eskimos hang around; we finally got rolling and then nearly let them back in at the end.
Not a great game, but it was entertaining.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Yup to keep the click running. And it's still a two score game. Any lead of 17 points or more is three score, as 2 Tds with 2 pt converts is 16 points. I believe they went for two to win with a td and a fg
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:OK, as you can hear if you listen to the post game show, the concessions were absolutely terrible, running out of food and beer and all after you waited in line for 30 min. I won't get into that.

My question to anyone who might have an idea is about the Eskimos decisions late in the game. First, why would they risk being down by three scores by going for the 2 point convert? Then, when they are pressing for another score, but on 3rd down, why would they not kick the fieldgoal instead of going for it? They would have surely got the fieldgoal and then had a chance to win with a TD.

And lastly, why would BC decline the facemask penalty on their late drive? I've never heard of any advantage to declining a facemask penalty. Wouldnt they still have a first down but be further down the field?

Confused by those calls.
I'm with you on a couple of things.

Suitor said "this is three down territory." when the Eskimos were deep in Lion territory. Your observation, and mine at the time, were correct. You need two scores, whether you get the TD or not. So kick the FG on third down and leave it up to your defense to get the ball back.

I think the reason the penalty was declined had to do with the clock. If memory serves, an accepted defensive penalty stops the clock, whereas a declined one does not.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall, near the end of the 2000 Grey Cup, Jason Richards of the Als jumped offsides on consecutive plays to stop the clock in a futile effort to help get the ball back. The Lions declined the second one to keep the clock running.

My primary observation of the game is that the Lions are, overall, winning the battles on both sides of the lines against basically all of their opponents. The Zone blitzes and stunts run by the defensive line work well and the linemen look like they're having fun doing it. I would also venture that roughly 70% of the time Travis had to scramble or was nearly sacked it was because of coverage, not because of blocking. One or two plays where he took a hit it was a result of the design of the play, where Harris would block, then release to go out for a screen pass. The O line play wasn't purrfect, but it was pretty good. Edmonton's secondary performed decently early in that a fair amount of time they schemed correctly and took out Travis' first read. But Travis also had plenty of time to recover and find a secondary read, or scramble and find a receiver coming back for the ball. And that's a credit to the O line.

My only immediate offensive criticism, aside from the failure to punch it in from the two, is this. When in the Green Zone, sometimes it's smarter to get the first down than to try for the TD. The first quarter INT was a direct result of the offense going against this philosophy. If the end zone isn't open, drop it underneath or find the guy whose route ends at the sticks instead and buy yourself another two downs instead of getting greedy.

I get the sense that, on the INT, the INT resulted from the play called, rather than Travis improvising, because the pass appeared intended for a spot, rather than being thrown at a man, if that makes sense. I'm sure though that both parties (the much maligned JC and Travis) share in the culpability generally when these things happen.

But those things are fixable. A really good performance overall. Glad to see that a lot of casual fans got to see a win. It should encourage at least some of them to come back for more.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Ricky Ray was good. Scary at times. He ran well, as he has against us in the past.

Messam was a horse. He threw some punches and got tossed near the end.

Banks and Kornegay should not have gotten into it. It made the game much closer than it should have been.

Terrible Red Zone to start the game for the Lions.

Wally has to stay out of calling any plays IMO. He should let Jacques call the short yardage from inside the 5.

We let the Eskimos hang around; we finally got rolling and then nearly let them back in at the end.

Not a great game, but it was entertaining.
Great description, IMO, WCJ. Ray/Joeseph both had me worried with their leg efforts tonight. Based on the series Reed let KJ run, I was kinda surprised not to see him later. Ray was struggling and obviously the Lions had adjusted well enough to stop his running. Joeseph, not so much, IMO. He looked dangerous out there. The brawl on the 2pter was nasty but you guys watching at home probably got a better look at lots of it. That being said, I can certainly say to all the people who bug me for watching at the stadium. Many will say a wins a win, why complain? Well this was a game where I did see the Lions make the kinds of mistakes they made lots of in their losing periods. Really were some baffling calls by the officials tonight but who knows they were probably deserved. I also didn't get Reed going for 2. Making it made it a 9 point game. I guess if things worked out they can win on a field goal but if they hadn't they needed two TD's. Ohwell, I'm sure he had his reasons.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

OK, I should reprase that. By going for the 2 pt convert, they risked being down by two TDs (11pts) rather than a TD and FG. Sure, if they get it, they can win with a TD and FG now, but still I think an odd call. Then even more so by not getting a fieldgoal when they could have.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions had a slow start probably because they were caught up in the hype of the new stadium. The way Ricky Ray and Joseph ran reminded me of the Lions from past season. I thought Chapball made it's comeback again with those terrible calls from inside the 5 yard line. Lulay threw a terrible interception by throwing into double coverage in the end zone.
almo89
Legend

Aaron Hunt is not a happy camper. He thinks the Eskimos are dirty