Lions 33 - Eskimos 24 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

I just got back from 2 weeks in Germany. Missed the home game against Toronto, the Calgary game and the Saskatchewan game. I gotta say this is not the same team that I saw prior to my vacation. Wow what a turnaround. FINALLY we are putting it all together, the playcalling has gotten better, and our playmakers are making plays. Very impressed with the win last night. I'm not sure I have anything bad to say about any player out there. Maybe Lumbala for not being able to score on short yardage, but he did well the times he was in there for blocking. Overall a great game, great experience at the new stadium and I can't wait until October 8th!
Roar you Lions roar!
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Anyone else notice the play clock ran on Edmontons two pointt conversion tries thus burning off a minute . BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:Anyone else notice the play clock ran on Edmontons two pointt conversion tries thus burning off a minute . BB
Ha ha. That is too funny, Bob. LOL

Must be a trick we learned from the Riders.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

IIRC, the play clock runs on converts and after penalties, except in the final three minutes of the half. The two attempts, aided by a B.C. penalty, took 39 seconds off the clock.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:IIRC, the play clock runs on converts and after penalties, except in the final three minutes of the half. The two attempts, aided by a B.C. penalty, took 39 seconds off the clock.
Ya know, that is a surprise. I expect the protocol was changed sometime over the years.
pennw
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:I just got back from 2 weeks in Germany. Missed the home game against Toronto, the Calgary game and the Saskatchewan game. I gotta say this is not the same team that I saw prior to my vacation. Wow what a turnaround. FINALLY we are putting it all together, the playcalling has gotten better, and our playmakers are making plays. Very impressed with the win last night. I'm not sure I have anything bad to say about any player out there. Maybe Lumbala for not being able to score on short yardage, but he did well the times he was in there for blocking. Overall a great game, great experience at the new stadium and I can't wait until October 8th!
You missed some good stuff , the PVR can be your friend in those situations . You could still see those games in TSN's Broadband archives if you wanted to . How was Germany ?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote: I am not much of a Suitor fan, and to me his comment and his failure to explore the issue kind of exposed him. I don't think he is a particularly thoughtful analyst, and tends to talk about what he wants to talk about too much.
Could be worse. Could be Walby. And we could have had to suffer through Rod Black to boot.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:IIRC, the play clock runs on converts and after penalties, except in the final three minutes of the half. The two attempts, aided by a B.C. penalty, took 39 seconds off the clock.
Ya know, that is a surprise. I expect the protocol was changed sometime over the years.
The touchdown was scored at 6:21 The two point fiasco was over at 5:31. So it looks like 50 secs according to my PVR. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
ziggy
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
joe kapp22 wrote:Interesting that both Coaches went for it on 3rd and goal, and neither converted the TD.
At the time, and still now, I disagreed with Wally's decision. Stuffed twice from the 2. Time to take humble pills and go for the field goal. No deception on Wally's calls. And make no mistake those were Wally's calls, not Jacques'. Three runs up the middle.

Plus I would leave Lulay in there. He throws better. He runs better. He is warm, not cold from the bench.

Just IMO ...
I liked the aggressive call Wally made and although I would have liked it better if we managed to get it in, I was happy we at least tried and didn't just play conservative. It has to be good for the players to see their coach has faith in them, be it the offence to score a major or the defence to hold the opposition deep in their own zone. Field goal team has lots of confidence, time to spread it around.
Rodu
Champion

Harris sure can move, anyone know what his 40 yrd time is?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:

I noticed this last season. This was on a typical PAT where the ball gets booted through uprights. Pretty quick but still can burn off time. Doubt it really matters except inside of the final three minutes and then the clock stops for converts..... I hate the idea of the clock running on a convert myself but games are running long as it is.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: At the time, and still now, I disagreed with Wally's decision. Stuffed twice from the 2. Time to take humble pills and go for the field goal. No deception on Wally's calls. And make no mistake those were Wally's calls, not Jacques'. Three runs up the middle.

Plus I would leave Lulay in there. He throws better. He runs better. He is warm, not cold from the bench.

Just IMO ...
I liked the aggressive call Wally made and although I would have liked it better if we managed to get it in, I was happy we at least tried and didn't just play conservative. It has to be good for the players to see their coach has faith in them, be it the offence to score a major or the defence to hold the opposition deep in their own zone. Field goal team has lots of confidence, time to spread it around.

Three runs up the middle. No pass attempts into the huge end zone. No pitch. No misdirection. Jarious at quarterback. No Lulay who runs the offence. Against 12 men in the box expecting exactly what they got. I would call that ultra conservative. After you have failed twice up the middle, to run it again, I would call that stubborn, or something ...

Faith in the players? How about some faith in Lulay? And Geroy? And Arland? Instead Wally puts his "faith" in expecting his O Line, behind the undersized, overmatched Angus Reid, to push back 12 men in the box. And these 12 men in the box are crashing down as hard as they possibly can. This is how I would describe the task for the O Line and the running back ... :bang: Against a brick wall ...

I was just about screaming to my pal beside me when Wally lined them up. Here we go, up the middle. Nooooooooooooo My pal was laughing and cussing at the same time.

We see this much differently, ziggy. I've said my piece. You can have the last word about liking the call.

"I liked the aggressive call Wally made" - ziggy
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Lol sounds like the guy sitting in front of me. :) I'm with you though. Run straight up the gut never works-and we HAVE to leave the guy in who got us there. I've never understood why you would want to put in someone cold.
Real women wear orange!!
ziggy
Legend

Gee thanks WCJ for the permission :wink: . Never said I liked the play selection, hence the liking it better if they could "get it in" part of my post :bang: . I did like the fact they tried to score a TD rather than playing it conservative and going for a field goal as I said in my post. Afterall that left the opposition deep in their own zone if we failed (which we did), but if they had scored, it would have been a big boost for the team IMO. Don't know how you read that to mean I liked the three plays called, sorry if I confused you, I re read my post an still don't see it, but then again we do see things differently as you stated.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Most fans have seen the films. Jarius Jackson in on 2nd or 3rd down= quarterback sneak or running game up the middle.