Eskimos @ Lions - Vegas Odds and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

My biggest fear is that the game will be on the line and Paul McCallum will be kicking a field goal for the record and the win on a field and brand of turf that he's never played on before. Fortunately, he doesn't let negative thoughts bother him but I'll be worried if that situation occurs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

I'm a little worried about well...not overconfidence exactly, but the team being a little overwhelmed by the new stadium. If they'd been practicing there all week I wouldn't be as cautious about it. But all those little things --for example, the way the new turf reacts on a punt or a fumble...where the seams are, etc. --these are kinks that may work against the Lions on Friday. I remember playing on the turf there in the 90's --and about the 25 yard line there was a plate under the turf that would shift ever so slightly when you ran over it. Things like that you get to know when you play there all the time will be as new to the Lions as they will the Eskimos.
Same for the Eskimos
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:My biggest fear is that the game will be on the line and Paul McCallum will be kicking a field goal for the record and the win on a field and brand of turf that he's never played on before. Fortunately, he doesn't let negative thoughts bother him but I'll be worried if that situation occurs.
Hopefully it won't get to that situation B.C. Fan and we'll win big.

With the huge crowd that our Leos will be playing in front of on Friday night....I'm hoping that it will be a motivating factor but sometimes a team can get too up and not perform as well. Ricky Ray will need to go to a silent count at times, I'm anticipating.

Edmonton, after winning their first five games have now lost 5 of their last 7.

Our Leos, after going 1-6 to begin the season, have now won five in a row...the best streak of any CFL team so far this year, in what is turning out to be one of the most unpredictable seasons ever.

I like the fact that we dropped Robertson for this game. Last game, we rushed the football eight times, which is not enough mail to carry for five running backs in the lineup. I would prefer to utilize the import elsewhere than at shortside wide receiver. Iannuazzi made all his catches last game and we're good enough with Iannuzzi and Jackson as our starters. Still, Johnson adds speed and we can use him on our return game.

I believe the key to this game will be stopping Edmonton's running game and not letting Jerome Messam (who has been the Canadian CFL Player of the Week three times this season) not get rolling. Our run defense has been excellent lately, which bodes well.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:I believe the key to this game will be stopping Edmonton's running game and not letting Jerome Messam (who has been the Canadian CFL Player of the Week three times this season) not get rolling. Our run defense has been excellent lately, which bodes well.
Messam and Wally made nice last game. But I am sure Messam would very much like to have a great game against the team that dropped him, and the players that wanted him to go.

Another big key is how well Ricky Ray plays, and how much pressure our D gets on him. If he gets into a rhythm, look out.

Looking forward to a great game in a great atmosphere.
ziggy
Legend

I'm worried that Ray will pull off one of those great games that he seems to have everytime you think you have his number. On a good day he seems unstoppable.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:I'm worried that Ray will pull off one of those great games that he seems to have everytime you think you have his number. On a good day he seems unstoppable.
Nah, I think he'll be compiling a report for the Edmonton Journal on how cool the retractable roof is, and how comfy the turf is. ;)
Real women wear orange!!
ziggy
Legend

CatsEyes wrote:
ziggy wrote:I'm worried that Ray will pull off one of those great games that he seems to have everytime you think you have his number. On a good day he seems unstoppable.
Nah, I think he'll be compiling a report for the Edmonton Journal on how cool the retractable roof is, and how comfy the turf is. ;)
Hope you're right :beer:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I'm a little worried about well...not overconfidence exactly, but the team being a little overwhelmed by the new stadium. If they'd been practicing there all week I wouldn't be as cautious about it. But all those little things --for example, the way the new turf reacts on a punt or a fumble...where the seams are, etc. --these are kinks that may work against the Lions on Friday. I remember playing on the turf there in the 90's --and about the 25 yard line there was a plate under the turf that would shift ever so slightly when you ran over it. Things like that you get to know when you play there all the time will be as new to the Lions as they will the Eskimos.
James, it had also been my understanding that the players would be afforded no practice at BCP before the game tomorrow, but this photo seems to suggest otherwise, not sure exactly when it was taken but obviously very recent:

http://360.io/ATHEVH
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:

James, it had also been my understanding that the players would be afforded no practice at BCP before the game tomorrow, but this photo seems to suggest otherwise, not sure exactly when it was taken but obviously very recent:

http://360.io/ATHEVH
Wow, that white fabric roof is bright. I recall the Houston Astros had trouble catching the ball looking up into the roof. I suppose the football is plenty big enough to see. But a baseball? Hmmmmmm ... I imagine there might be baseball played there sometime. No?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wow, that white fabric roof is bright. I recall the Houston Astros had trouble catching the ball looking up into the roof. I suppose the football is plenty big enough to see. But a baseball? Hmmmmmm ... I imagine there might be baseball played there sometime. No?
That could be just the lighting of the photo playing tricks, or just sunlight coming through. It definitely looks much duller in some areas than others. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. If it's sunlight then no big deal, I'd have to think most players are used to playing outdoors in sunshine by this point of their careers, and going forward it likely won't have much effect anyway, what with the usual evening start times at BCP. Mostly I'm glad to see the players are getting a chance to see things up close before the kickoff tomorrow.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

What I don't get:

They spend $563 million on a facelift for BCP, most of which is for the roof. Yet every photo and video I've seen for the past month has been with the roof closed. Why would they not show it off with the roof open? Let in the sunlight. Show how bright it is, get people really excited about the possibilities of seeing indoor/outdoor events.

Sure, wider seats and a fancy new scoreboard is great, but isn't that what this whole thing was about - making the stadium retractable??

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:SJ --thanks for the link...what an incredible photo.

Perry (I can't spell his last name --the sportscaster for CTV) just did a live hit from the stadium with Angus Reid, and I guess the Lions just had a walk through.

That HD screen is going to give us a real advantage at home when it comes to allowing Wally to quickly review whether a play should be challenged or not. I really hope the visitor's side has some "technical issues" on any Lions' fumbles. :wink:

A buddy of mine lives downtown and just e-mailed me --he says they are doing tests right now and it sounds like there are 55,ooo screaming fans inside the stadium going nuts. He says the 'canned noise' sounds a lot more natural now --so natural that only a Rider fan will be able to discern it. :cool:

Cheers,

James
Ha ha

Now the Green Paranoids will have all the 'evidence' they need. How to stir it up, James. :wink:

LOL

Leave a couple of ducats at the Box Office. One for Elvis. And one for your 'buddy.'. :wink:
Blitz
Team Captain

Looks like the Eskimos are going to key on our defensive tackles..whom Edmonton HC Reed considrers the best tandem in the CFL.

Hard not to agree. Shutting down the inside run and getting inside penetration on the pass rush have become a key to shutting down offences these days.

From the Vancouver Province below:

Reed is concerned with how the Eskimos’ rebuilt offensive line handles B.C. defensive tackles Aaron Hunt and Khalif Mitchell.

“We’re going to know where No. 90 and No. 96 are at all times,” said a grinning Reed. “Even when they’re on the bench, we want to know where they are on the bench.

“They’re arguably the two best tackles in the league as a tandem. They really create discord on an offensive line. Their penetration has really suffocated offensive lines they’ve played in the last five weeks.”
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)