Harris and Lee - Running Backs ... Lowell Ullrich

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lions ... story.html
Lions’ Harris out to help prove Canadian running tandem can reap reward

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province August 17, 2011
Andrew Harris, who played for the Vancouver Island Raiders, isn’t too caught up in the moment to recognize the path he has taken, either.

The Winnipeg native will start at tailback for the Lions with Port Coquitlam’s Jamall Lee backing him up. Jerome Messam will likely start for Edmonton. It’s an outcome which would not have been possible had Messam not been traded by Buono for his alleged misdeeds in training camp, or if Harris hadn’t recovered from a off-season torn pectoral muscle injury which shelved the three-back attack in the first place.
It goes a bit deeper though. With Jamal Lee being elevated to the role of understudy, and Surrey’s Calvin McCarty backing up Messam, it’s one of the few times in recent years where there will be more Canadian backs in the lineup than imports.

“I don’t think there’s been a game like this,” Harris said Wednesday.
There certainly hasn’t been for him at least, considering his struggle for recognition since joining the Lions.

There was a time when Buono was so unsure how best to groom a 25-year-old with no college background he tried him as a receiver, then at safety.

The position switches made for a difficult existence, which will make what lies ahead additionally gratifying for Harris, knowing he will be involved in almost all of the Lions’ package units Friday, even though he might not get more touches.
Yeah, let's make Andrew Harris a receiver. How about a safety? And Lee ... receiver. Oh Yeah, Jason Arakgi ... receiver. Gawdddd Just another head shaker. We almost get used to these notions.

Mind boggling. At least, finally, they get a chance to carry the rock.
Lee, whose troublesome knee injury had restricted him to special teams, has gradually been given added practice work on offence.

He suggested the shift to the non-import runner is merely a ratio consideration.

“I understand the symbolism but I don’t try to label things,” he said.

Harris is a bit more forceful, if only because he feels not every Canadian gets a second chance to make a first impression.

It will take the Canadian blockers on both teams, such as the Lions’ Rolly Lumbala and Mathieu Bertrand of the Eskimos, plus the backups, too, but Harris says a message can be sent that there is a place for a Canuck running tandem.

“People have been talking about this for a long time,” he said.

“I was saying to [Lee] that we need to put a stamp on this so they don’t have to think twice, or that if we switch again down the road they know it worked. I want to put that in their minds.

“If they go with [Robertson], that’s fine. I just want to put that in Wally’s mind and in the league’s mind that [the Canadians] did well. That’s my goal.”

Just as it was the Lions’ goal last winter.
Go with the non imports. Go for it. Looking forward to it. :thup:
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

I love "alleged" misdeeds when referring to Messam. More of the Players Council in action?
Real women wear orange!!
Rammer
Team Captain

Going all non import RB's was oh so TC to me, but it does give another opportunity for the lack of use last season to bite the Lions once again with Lee in at RB. I like what Harris has shown, a real explosiveness and he doesn't go down with first contact. If he can shore up the dropped balls, he will be in the makings of a Cornish.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Going all non import RB's was oh so TC to me, but it does give another opportunity for the lack of use last season to bite the Lions once again with Lee in at RB. I like what Harris has shown, a real explosiveness and he doesn't go down with first contact. If he can shore up the dropped balls, he will be in the makings of a Cornish.
I like Harris a lot, and was particularly impressed with the way he ran away from the entire Bomber secondary on his overturned 69-yard touchdown run. His size probably limits his durability, though. He would have to be part of a tandem with Lee, as he has been with Robertson and Brown.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions have talented running backs in Harris and Lee. If Buono won't let them play, then they'll move on and play for some other team that is willing to give them the opportunity.
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Looking forward to seeing what Harris and Lee can do. Harris only had 4 carries last week in his first start (-4 yds). I can only remember Lee rushing the ball once in his career, in the '09 playoff game vs Mtl (-1 yd)? I guess Chaps had seen enough.
Hmmm, a glass half empty kind of person would suggest that Chapstick was trying to emphasize the lack of a running game by hedging his bet with negative yardage RB's.
Entertainment value = an all time low
almo89
Legend

I'd love to see Lee line up as a tail back and then release him to the outside for a short dump pass. If he can find a hole, nobody is stopping him. This dude is so fast.

While I like the idea of using Harris and Lee in the backfield, it means nothing of Chap doesn't give them any plays. We were only down by 3 at the half last game, but Chap managed to throw the whole running game out the window for the 2nd half. Even the first half the running backs didn't get enough carries. Lulay made 22 pass attempts after 2 quarters. Still too much in my thinking. I miss the Joe Smith days when they would just run the ball down the opposing D's throats. In my opinion, we have the guys to do it, just not the coach that is willing to do it.
David
Team Captain

I guess I like the options a non-import backfield provides us and think they should be broken in, but I still prefer the experience, leadership, and ball security that Jamal Robertson provides us. While I think he's "bothered" by his achilles, it's not an "injury" per se that would keep him out of action.

Jamal's not flashy, but gets us over 5 yards a carry. I know Harris broke a long one that was called back last game, but he has struggled a bit with ball controll and only has a 3.6 yard rushing average. That said, I think he's going to be great and am glad to see Lee given an opportunity too, but I would still prefer Robertson back there until we can get things straightened out.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
bc49
Hall of Famer

The odds of Robertson returning for next season are slim. Okay lets say it's virtually assured he won't be back.
And let's go out on a limb and say this is a rebuilding year for the Leos.
With all that said it makes no sense to go hard with Robertson the rest of the way at the expense of Harris, Brown and especially Lee.
These young guys need game experience to take them to the next level. (hint: next level starts in 2012)
Sort of like our young receiving corps from last season who got nothing and were then thrown to the wolves as starters this year.
It is good to see some forward thinking by Buono to get these guys some playing time and iron out the inevitable growing pains.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's pretty much a given that Robertson won't be back next season. Robertson was going to call it a career after last season but Wally convinced him back for one more season.
bc49
Hall of Famer

Good info, LK.
I can just see how that phone conversation went!

Wally: Cone on, Jamal. Just one more year.
JR: I dunno, coach. I'm getting kinda old for this sorta thing.
Wally: You're old? Look at me.
JR: I'm sure you've recruited some young studs for next year.
Wally: (laughing) Just one more season, Jamal.
JR: I dunno, coach. Eighteen games is a long road
Wally: I'm bring Chapdelaine back. He wouldn't know a running play if it kissed him on the lips. 4, maybe 5 touches a game, at most.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally had to bring back Robertson if for no other reason than the Antonio Warren factor or even Joe Smith.

He signed Kamau Peterson just so he can say his job is to phase out receivers like KP.

He needs to be able to fire a few guys espec. at RB in JR's case so he can say "my job is to find a better guy than you."

Notice Wally has stopped using this line likely due to the fear that the media will ask him to do the same and find a new HC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy