Skulsky: Buono may have the shoulder tap

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

pt 1:
CFL_News CFL News fan
Lions Pres. Dennis Skulsky:"At the end of the day, he (Buono) may have a job in the org. but it could be a different job"
pt 2

CFL_News CFL News fan
Skulsky (cont'd):"Whether that’s precipitated by him (Buono) coming forward or him getting a tap on the shoulder."
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This item is also in the "Baffled Buono" thread, as reported by Lowell Ullrich.

It is good that Skulsky and Braley are recognizing reality.

As Skulsky says, however, changing a head coach is drastic. I would not expect it to happen. This is especially so as there is no worthy candidate available within the ranks of the present staff. If Buono was to relinquish his Head Coach position, who would assume it? Benevides? I don't think so. Chapdelaine? I don't think so.

As for replacing Benevides, who could that be? Miles? Too green. Washington? Too green.

In regard to Chapdelaine ... Dorazio could do that, and we could expect an improved running game. But the Players' Council, Geroy especially, would lobby strongly against the move.

These are not promising changes.

Even if we continue to lose, I expect no change to be made in the coaching staff until the offseason. One of the worst aspects of the situation Buono has gotten us into, is that there is no easy out. No easy change in command.

(If we went something like 1 and 11, Buono might step down in favour of Benevides as interim Head Coach.)

I expect us to stumble along with the status quo to perhaps a 5 and 13 year. We might even scrape into the playoffs. We might even win 5, 6 or 7 of our final 11 games, bringing us all the way up to our 8 and 10 records of the last two years. IMO our talent is good. That talent could conceivably get us 8 wins, when the players figure things out, as they did late last year.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Maybe if the players council want to pick who coaches them, they should quit playing and scout one for themselves. Or pick up the reins.
Real women wear orange!!
Bosco
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote: As for replacing Benevides, who could that be? Miles? Too green. Washington? Too green.

Just throwing it out there, but are Miles / Washington any more "green" as potential defensive coordinators than Marcus Crandell is as an offensive coordinator? Crandell seems to be doing just fine in Edmonton. :2cents:
David
Team Captain

If we win in Edmonton, keep things as they are and pray we start to gel after the bye week. If we lose in Edmonton however, I would advocate the 'tap' to come as early as Saturday or Sunday.

Bring in Dave Ritchie as an INTERIM coach only. Earrings on a pig at 1-7, I know. But if anyone can organize and motivate 46 men, he can. Have Wally concentrate on GM duties.

Keep Benevides, Chapdelaine, and Dorazio until the end of the season (too late to make changes now), then broom this staff at the end of the year.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

Could we not hire a coach from CIS?
Roar you Lions roar!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:Could we not hire a coach from CIS?
Normally this would cue my Rocky Long lust. Unfortunately for me Rich Rod got fired.
The_Pauser
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Could we not hire a coach from CIS?
Normally this would cue my Rocky Long lust. Unfortunately for me Rich Rod got fired.
What about Glen Constantin?
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote: What about Glen Constantin?
Good candidate for next year. Midseason here not a great idea, methinks.

Best to ride this out for a handful more games. If we lose most of them, Buono might step aside for Benevides as interim (It might take a tap. If the Eskimos blow us out, do it right after). That is, if Benevides would take it as interim.

Hire Dave Dickenson as Head Coach for next year. He will be a Head Coach in this league before long. Why not with us?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Imo interim HC solves nothing. Instead wait until the end of the season and then offer the HC job and lots of Braley cash to Montreal's current OC, Scot Milinavich (sp). :pray:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Football is not a democracy, it's dictatorship. Get rid of the Players' Council.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

David wrote:If we win in Edmonton, keep things as they are and pray we start to gel after the bye week. If we lose in Edmonton however, I would advocate the 'tap' to come as early as Saturday or Sunday.

Bring in Dave Ritchie as an INTERIM coach only. Earrings on a pig at 1-7, I know. But if anyone can organize and motivate 46 men, he can. Have Wally concentrate on GM duties.

Keep Benevides, Chapdelaine, and Dorazio until the end of the season (too late to make changes now), then broom this staff at the end of the year.

DH :cool:

Agreed David

This seems to be the most obvious way to proceed, but I wonder if Skulsky has the backbone to clean up this unhappy mess?
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:

Best to ride this out for a handful more games. If we lose most of them, Buono might step aside for Benevides as interim (It might take a tap. If the Eskimos blow us out, do it right after). That is, if Benevides would take it as interim.

Hire Dave Dickenson as Head Coach for next year. He will be a Head Coach in this league before long. Why not with us?
DD is a purrfect fit for us WCJ, but when is his contact up in Calgary? :cr:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Rammer
Team Captain

PigSkin_53 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

DD is a purrfect fit for us WCJ, but when is his contact up in Calgary? :cr:
If the Lions were to offer DD a HC job, his OC contract would be waived by the Stamps, as is protocol by good organizations.
Entertainment value = an all time low