Eastern Final, November 20, 2011 Vegas Odds and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... vol-5.aspx
Pick 'em apart: Vol. 5

By L. Ullrich Thu, Jul 28 2011

No throat-slashing going on here as we march into another week of fearless CFL forecasting:

THURSDAY

B.C. at Winnipeg, 5 p.m.

For now, there's no point assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the Bombers until kickoff after the passing of assistant coach Richard Harris. Emotion could be become more important. If it does, recall how the Lions have played to start in each of their games so far. Province pick: Bombers

FRIDAY

Montreal at Hamilton, 3:30 p.m.

Here's another game where one factor could over-ride all others, as if anyone who predicted the Als would lose last week to Saskatchewan before Anthony Calvillo was hurt would know. Calvillo is supposed to play. But if the Ticats and Avon Cobourne are going to make any kind of statement about challenging for the division title this year, here's a game which would help their cause. Province pick: Ticats

Toronto at Edmonton, 6:30 p.m.

Argos coach Jim Barker has been given his chance to change quarterbacks. Now its Dalton Bell's chance too. A broken tooth will keep Cleo Lemon out and so the Argos will start his backup, who didn't do a lot when he entered last week's game in relief against Winnipeg. The good news for Barker, who was one of several on his team fined by the league last week, is that he can now play the us-against-the-world card. The bad news is his team is playing 4-0 Edmonton. Province pick: Eskimos

SATURDAY

Calgary at Saskatchewan, 6:30 p.m.

Things move fast in Saskatchewan. The Riders discover a pass rush last week and already the team is taking the opportunity to market its own brand of ice cream, to go with the Rider cereal and potato chips which came out earlier. This game is the toughest of the week to call. Calgary still hasn't found its stride offensively and though a road win in Montreal will be a boost, the Riders beat the Als without Calvillo. Saskatchewan has won the last three straight at home between the teams. Province pick: Riders
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

Lions, Hamilton, Toronto, Stubblejumpers - winners. go figure.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The road teams won all four games last week, and 10 of 16 so far this year. It's an unpredictable season, with no safe bets.
I'll go with three road winners: Lions, Als and Stamps, along with hometown Esks.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Here we go then ...

WPG, HAM, EDM, SSK
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bombers gotta be favoured, at home, on an emotional surge in memory the much loved D Line coach, Richard Harris. Look out for Doug Brown and Odell Willis.

TiCats, especially if Calvillo does not play. Possibly even if he does play. Blurred vision. That has to be a big health concern. Hit hard enough to shake up the vision? Ouch.

Eskimos. At home. Against anybody. 'Nuff said.

Riders. At home. Not that that matters so much, but the Stampeders have not been their high performance level selves. Quite surprising actually. It seemed like the Stampeders out statisticked the Eskimos last week and found a way to lose. Not a good sign.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 77726.html
Needless to say, Bell must summon his best against an Eskimos defence that has quickly grasped Rich Stubler’s concepts.

“That defence is fast and those guys love to hit,’’ Bell said. “They like to mix it up (zone and man-to-man) and they want to confuse you. The key for us is to take what they give us.”
“They like to mix it up (zone and man-to-man) and they want to confuse you."

Nice. Unpredictable defence. What a concept. Oh yeah, Rich Stubler. We had him here. Actually we had Richard Harris too. That was when Wally wanted to save a few bucks and make the D Line coach part time. Oh yeah.
Anglophone
All Star

Winnipeg (Before Harris, I thought BC was probably going to scrape one out)
Hamilton (Calvillo is bad news for Montreal)
Edmonton (Close to a safe bet)
Saskatchewan (I think they have momentum back)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Bombers gotta be favoured, at home, on an emotional surge in memory the much loved D Line coach, Richard Harris. Look out for Doug Brown and Odell Willis.

TiCats, especially if Calvillo does not play. Possibly even if he does play. Blurred vision. That has to be a big health concern. Hit hard enough to shake up the vision? Ouch.

Eskimos. At home. Against anybody. 'Nuff said.

Riders. At home. Not that that matters so much, but the Stampeders have not been their high performance level selves. Quite surprising actually. It seemed like the Stampeders out statisticked the Eskimos last week and found a way to lose. Not a good sign.
Three for three so far.

Tough, hard hitting game between the Bombers and Lions. Bombers found a way to win. Lions found a way to lose. Kick off both halfs (halves?). Give up a touchdown to start the second half. But, Hey, they got the wind for the fourth quarter. Ooooops. No wind factor in the fourth. Rats. If the Lions could just get some breaks, says their Head Coach, Wally Buono.

TiCats getting back to the form we expected. Alouettes looking vulnerable. (In another thread, I speculated that the coaching staffs of Edmonton, Hamilton and Winnipeg were catching up to the top level coaching of Montreal and Calgary. That just might be true.)

Those lucky Eskimos get some breaks vs the Argonauts. Well, good teams find ways to win, et cetera.

Would not be surprised if the Riders beat the Stampeders.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I've enjoyed this weeks slate of games, so far. Bombers beat my team but still enjoyed the game. Thought the Al's would be better or are the Ticats that good....? Argos found ways to give one away versus the Esks. lots of turnovers.....

I think this afternoons matchup really gets things going for the Western playoffs. I know, its still July. But if the Riders have found enough moxie to get things rolling, we will be chasing for awhile. Neither one of these teams (Stamps/Riders) has looked their old selves, IMO. So, will it be a crisp battle. Or a mistake filled chucklefest. I think the latter. Both QB's have had their off days and need to get better in a hurry. I know they can do it but will they? I still feel the Stamps pull out the win. Then its Riders/Lions in the basement bowl next Friday night. IF the Stamps do win, I wonder how Riderfans act when their teams 1-4. Probably not much different, especially considering we're 0-5.....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well I enjoyed the game but am left thinking there are three levels of teams in the Western Division. The Esks clear and away the class of the division, IMO, and perhaps even the league (although they did have some troubles against the Argos). The Stamps and (perhaps the Riders) which perhaps could make a run in the fall after Labour Day (the so=called true kickoff day to CFL football). And the bottom level obviously the Lions (but also IMO, the Riders). Durant had one of his better games this season, IMO and there is no way that is good enough. That being said, the Riders D is not looking too fearsome.

So, who wins the basement bowl next Friday? Based on flashes, I'd like to say the Lions. They certainly looked okay against the Riders in the lone preseason game here. But based on the Lions recent past (meaning TEMPIRE and last BC place Dome field season) the Riders often seem to play well in front of their large contingent of WesternWatermelonheads (I doubt they'd consider that label an insult, its not meant as one). I hope Durant plays per his recent past (picks and fumbles). Both these teams are desperate, IMO, and both are winless at home. Riders can't do anything about their home record but a two game lead would be nice, I'm sure.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... le2119026/
Week 6 picks RACHEL BRADY and ALLAN MAKI

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Aug. 03, 2011 8:37PM EDT

Montreal Alouettes (3-2) at Toronto Argonauts (1-4)

Thursday, 7:30 p.m.

This is a battle of desperate teams, as Montreal has lost its last two, Toronto its last four. When they met on July 15, the Als won 40-17 and running back Brandon Whitaker rolled for 120 yards. But expect the Argos defensive front to put up more of a challenge this time. Als quarterback Anthony Calvillo needs nine completions to pass Damon Allen’s all-time CFL record. Cleo Lemon returns as Toronto’s quarterback and must dazzle if his squad – the league’s second-lowest scoring – is to beat the Als, the league’s highest-scoring team.

THE PICK Montreal

Edmonton Eskimos (5-0) at Winnipeg Blue Bombers (4-1)

Friday, 7:30 p.m.

The highlight game of the week pits the two division leaders against one another in a battle of strengths. Edmonton’s offence boasts the league’s most potent passing combo: Ricky Ray to receiver Fred Stamps. The Blue Bombers counter with a ravenous defence that tops the CFL with 21 sacks, an average of more than four per game. Something’s got to give. In this case, expect Winnipeg to maintain its defensive mastery while producing just enough on offence via running back Fred Reid, receiver Cory Watson and the resilient Buck Pierce at quarterback.

THE PICK Winnipeg

Saskatchewan Roughriders (1-4) at B.C. Lions (0-5)

Friday, 10:30 p.m.

Maybe this is the game that kick-starts one of these floundering teams. The Lions appear to have found an offensive spark using Tim Brown at running back (74 yards rushing on nine carries last week). The recurring issue remains B.C.’s young receivers, who can still drop a pass at precisely the wrong moment. Riders quarterback Darian Durant has played two clean games now (no interceptions or fumbles) and will be seeing a familiar face on the other side. Former Riders defensive back Tad Kornegay will take a spot in the Lions’ secondary and is keen to make an impact after being cut by Saskatchewan two weeks ago.

THE PICK Saskatchewan

Hamilton Tiger-Cats (3-2) at Calgary Stampeders (3-2)

Saturday, 9:30 p.m.

Hamilton has won three in a row and appears to be a different team than it was in Weeks 1 and 2. Quarterback Kevin Glenn’s efficiency rating has climbed to 93.1 from 63.7 after Week 2. The aggressive Ticats defence has allowed opponents just four touchdown drives in the last five games and now faces a Stamps offence which has been inconsistent and ranks sixth in the CFL in points scored. Calgary has won three of its last four games, and will try to earn its first victory in front of home fans.

THE PICK Hamilton

Last week 4-0, Season 13-7
In the Lions pre game thread I picked Montreal, Winnipeg and Calgary.

I will add the Lions as the pick to beat the Riders. If we don't crack the win column this week ...
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:If we don't crack the win column this week ...
Then the players will come on interviews suggesting that there is still time in the season to turn things around, that they are just a few plays away from winning and the coaches will tell us that the players have to execute to make up the difference between winning a losing.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:If we don't crack the win column this week ...
Then the players will come on interviews suggesting that there is still time in the season to turn things around, that they are just a few plays away from winning and the coaches will tell us that the players have to execute to make up the difference between winning a losing.
Plus we're going to hear how talented this version of the Lions are.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Mtl hammers Braley East. How fast can Braley get back to Toronto to endorse Jim Barker for life?

TO - 1 and 5
BC - 0 and 5

Braley East with 1 win, Braley West seeking to match the East record this week. Looking ugly.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Mtl hammers Braley East. How fast can Braley get back to Toronto to endorse Jim Barker for life?

TO - 1 and 5
BC - 0 and 5

Braley East with 1 win, Braley West seeking to match the East record this week. Looking ugly.
And was Montreal that good or just playing a bad, bad Argo team? My clueless state I was thinking the Al's are back. But as Forde stated late in tonights broadcast, the Al's have only beaten one team with a winning record...... I do realize that the CFL is a pretty equitable league but I'm not so sure this is last years Al's until they start hanging with the Bombers, Ticats and Esks. Those are teams you can be happy you beat by double digits....IMO, of course.