Lions add Jerome Dennis, release Hyland

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

donefron
Starter

http://bclions.com/article/bc-lions-add ... vid-hyland

Dennis will help but sorry to see Hyland go as I have enjoyed some of his big hits
The_Pauser
Legend

So for a DB corps that has problems hitting, we release our biggest hitter. He was prone to missing some tackles though, but he is still young. I think this is a mistake.

Good to see JD back though.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

This is a somewhat surprising move to me. I thought he was a natural safety and played well there last year. He even had a really good preseason, but it seemed like the club didn't know where to put him. He missed a few tackles recently and his confidence seemed to wane. When he took over for the injured Stanley Franks last week at the wideside halfback spot, he looked like a fish out of water (should not have gone for the INT on the TD pass to Stamps). But overall, I thought he showed a lot of potential.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hyland was out of position at wide-side halfback but he's played there more than anyone since the beginning of training camp so he should have had a better grasp of the position. In three games, he made a total of four tackles. He missed a lot more than that. It's a cruel business but he was by far the weakest link on defence.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:This is a somewhat surprising move to me. I thought he was a natural safety and played well there last year. He even had a really good preseason, but it seemed like the club didn't know where to put him. He missed a few tackles recently and his confidence seemed to wane. When he took over for the injured Stanley Franks last week at the wideside halfback spot, he looked like a fish out of water (should not have gone for the INT on the TD pass to Stamps). But overall, I thought he showed a lot of potential.

I agree, a little early in his development to release him, but then again the Lions have done that in the past as well.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hyland's release not a major surprise. Too many missed tackles and too slow to play defensive half.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:So for a DB corps that has problems hitting, we release our biggest hitter. He was prone to missing some tackles though, but he is still young. I think this is a mistake.

Good to see JD back though.
Hitting was probably Hyland's biggest strength and shortcoming. Most of his missed tackles were due to trying to make the big hit instead of wrapping up.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Anglophone
All Star

What.

This came as a complete surprise to me. Yes, he had issues with hitting, but I assumed the club would take leniency because of the position change.
David
Team Captain

Saw this from @Hylander37 on Twitter. Classy, especially as he wasn't here that long. :thup:
One thing I know for sure is that I will def miss @BCLions fans. You guys are the best and I'm honored to have been able to play for you.

I am painfully aware of the import ratios in the CFL, but it still pisses me off that we were so quick to discard a guy with natural instincts at safety....when Tad Crawford was given 3 years and more screw-ups than an Adam Sandler blooper reel before we cut ties. :bang:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Tighthead
Legend

Hyland had a monster hit last year, but I will also remember his complete ole on Jason Clermont at Taylor field. This year there were lots of oles.
Anglophone
All Star

He also seemed to be hitting hard in the preseason this year.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Hyland's release not a major surprise. Too many missed tackles and too slow to play defensive half.
Agreed. I am not unhappy with this move.
The_Pauser
Legend

Am I the only one who thinks that Hyland has the tools to potentially develop into a Chip Cox type player? Maybe not exactly like Cox, but a similar type of player? Obviously he needs to work on his tackling vs. just brute force hitting, but he's still very young and raw. I thought he showed great raw ability in his very brief stint.
Roar you Lions roar!
joe kapp22
Legend

Anglophone wrote:What.

This came as a complete surprise to me. Yes, he had issues with hitting, but I assumed the club would take leniency because of the position change.
Really liked Dave Hyland's game, did not wish to see this happen, however Wally MUST create more accountability on the team.

To me though, the Wr's corps should also fall under the sword as they have played worse, for longer, then Hyland who had a bad game but was normally a good player.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.