Introduce yourselves

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lusiphur067
prospect

Hey Y'all... Longtime US football fan who has only recently discovered the uniqueness of the Canadian game. For some reason my loyalty gravitated towards the Lions(I think it's the orange. Syracuse, Virginia, Oregon State, the Browns. It's all about the orange) even though it's on the other side of the continent from CLE, OH. Still learning the nuances of the CFL but I gotta say I'm really enjoying the process! Having watched the better part of two seasons I think the biggest disparity in talent between the CFL and NFL is on defense. Not sure if it's ability, coaching, the one yard off the ball, or the wider field but CFL DBs and LBs often seem out of position. Offensively I admire the creativity of the schemes and the fact that it's a pass heavy league. Who doesn't like a good aerial shootout? GO LIONS!!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Welcome. Always nice to hear an "outsider" perspective on our league.
David
Team Captain

lusiphur067 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:51 am
Hey Y'all... Longtime US football fan who has only recently discovered the uniqueness of the Canadian game. For some reason my loyalty gravitated towards the Lions(I think it's the orange. Syracuse, Virginia, Oregon State, the Browns. It's all about the orange) even though it's on the other side of the continent from CLE, OH. Still learning the nuances of the CFL but I gotta say I'm really enjoying the process! Having watched the better part of two seasons I think the biggest disparity in talent between the CFL and NFL is on defense. Not sure if it's ability, coaching, the one yard off the ball, or the wider field but CFL DBs and LBs often seem out of position. Offensively I admire the creativity of the schemes and the fact that it's a pass heavy league. Who doesn't like a good aerial shootout? GO LIONS!!!
Welcome lusiphur067! Thanks for your thoughtful post and good taste in football teams. :wink:

You are right, the talent disparity is not as great as many assume, given the wide gap in salaries. Players who come up here from NFL stints are generally shocked by the speed, skill, and general athleticism up here. Lots of guys come up "to get me some film" and head back down south, only to gain a healthy respect for the level of play up here (many who do make it end up staying, some even reside in the off-season).

I concur though, there is a chasm in certain positions. I find the tackling is not as good in the CFL. Lots of missed tackles. Defensive tackles are generally not as stout either, so I've noticed that it is generally easier for running back to get past the first layer than in the NFL.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Murdoch
All Star

Greetings once again Lionbackers. Formerly posted as doncorleone but had trouble logging on so went back through the process. Maybe Rick Campbell getting rid of fans who cheered for DC89, whom I hopes resurfaces once again and proves he is legit. Not sure where that would be though.

I'm a CFL fan at this point with roots as a Bomber fan. First game I ever saw was the 64 Grey Cup. Not every game was on tv in those days but I do remember Bill Muncy and the three touchdowns. Was surprised many years later to find out that he was not the main running back. Rewatched it on youtube a few years ago and was amazed at what a good game it was. Bernie Faloney , Joe Zuger at linebacker, Tommy Joe must have been there as well. Muncy, Joe Kapp, and Willie Fleming were some of the Lions that stood out. Been a fan ever since.
D
Team Captain

Welcome back! :beer:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
cms22
Starter

hi,

i have been posting here for up to 2 years i think....... both of reilly's seasons......

i am mid-50's.. i grew up in vancouver, and now live here again...... i have from fairly old vancouver families on both sides. i only say this because this seems to be on of the really core demographics of BC Lions fans. basically, my family roots are classic white spot/dal richards/bow-mac/cknw/etc. it's funny but winnipeg is still like that, for better or worse

i have lived in 4 cities in canada for prolonged periods that have cfl teams.. and i have lived in vancouver basically twice.

i remember late 70's empire stadium.. vic rapp. don matthews?...... we'd start season well and so would edmonton and then edmonton comes to town, we fight hard but we aren't quite good.. i lived the same thing in ottawa in 1970s. feel like montreal was often a bit better than RR's..

i remember the crazy loud playoffs games early at BC Place.. and i remember years of Lions games with good support but people often sitting far apart in the upper deck.. i much preferred that to full lower deck only.. i gather it's a matter of cost....... i would be interested in seats low in the upper deck. i don't like the lower deck at all, really at any stadium. just my preference.

on the ragged defending in the CFL, there is so much more going on. multiple men in motion, running up to line of scrimmage, giant field.. if you watch high scoring NCAA conferences (Big 12), the play is pretty ragged too but that's because they pass so much

top NCAA and NFL defenses are stout........ but they often have 8 of 11 players who are elite run defenders whereas the CFL has 7 out of 12, if even that.

having said that, i saw utah at washington last year in seattle. prime seats in upper bowl.. utah has a really stout ncaa defense. they play 4-2-5. they can do this partially due to fantastic defensive linemen (they recruit very well amongst the polynesian players. alot live in utah).. but i do have to admit i was blown away at how sure the tackling was from defensive backs when a player broke into the open after a few yards.. great fundamentals.

as per cfl pecking order, i love NCAA and watch alot of NFL but not hardcore...... cfl should do anything not to go up head-to-head vs. nfl or to some extent big NCAA games.........

i generally like CFL television product..... i think glen suitor is mediocre and i think even if you think he's good that it might be time for a change. i think younger announcers might bring in another demographic to some degree.. i wish suitor was more x's and o's and less "momentum change" and "veteran leadership". you could honestly pay me to do that. it's blatantly obvious stuff and/or cliche... i thought schultz/climie were ok. i don't think the new guys are great, but at least it's fresh and new..... duane forde is good. but again, keeping the product fresh would be good too.. i will say suitor/forde are tireless champions of canadian football....... play-by-play announcers to me are large meaningless in most broadcasts of any sports. most are ok
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

cms22 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:03 pm
i am mid-50's.. i grew up in vancouver, and now live here again...... i have from fairly old vancouver families on both sides. i only say this because this seems to be on of the really core demographics of BC Lions fans. basically, my family roots are classic white spot/dal richards/bow-mac/cknw/etc.
I'm about a decade older than you but that description struck a chord with me. I hope we're not the last generation of strong CFL fans.

I welcome your contributions to the site. I agree with you about the uselessness of play-by-play announcers and Glen Suitor. I prefer to watch games with the volume turned off. I'm a die-hard lower-bowl fan though. I want to be as close to the field as possible to see the speed and strategy of the game from a player's perspective, and to interact with the players when the opportunity arises. That's why courtside seats at basketball games are the most valuable. If I wanted to see a game from high on the sidelines, I'd stay home and watch it on TV.
cms22
Starter

i pondered quite awhile as to whether to include the "white spot/dal richards/CKNW/Bow-Mac/UBC/etc." vancouver family......... i am concerned that's some sort of deplorable code for "white family". having said that, it would be hard to analyze BC Lions demographics/marketing/attendance without looking at massive immigration and societal changes in the last 50 years. as mentioned later, i think other changes are probably much more important.

as per that CKNW traditional fan, has he passed it on his kids and then their kids? i would say yes...... they follow the games, but do they go? generally, no.............. is it as simple as 1) expensive city, 2) live too far away now, 3) see next paragraph (less sense of community)

BUT, i think all those things i mentioned had a community element to them. back then there were far fewer things to do. TV, internet, movies at home, video games to name a few. this has happened everywhere. i would also add the dying of newspapers is very bad for sense of community.

winnipeg still has a great sense of community. vancouver/toronto are not remotely comparable. frankly, i'd put vancouver/toronto at zero sense of community in many ways........ winnipeg still has all kinds of old things, most of which have been torn down in vancouver.............. this ties into sense of community. in winnipeg you can get from one end of the city to the other very quickly. in toronto, scarborough is largely irrelevent to people in mississauga and vice-versa. and those aren't even close to the further suburbs.

i'm rambling.......... i'm wondering what the tv viewership ratio to attendance is by cfl city. it must be high in vancouver
cms22
Starter

the more i think about "bow-mac, white spot, CKNW, dal richards etc." culture, the lions were a part of that. and that culture doesn't exist any more for a number of reasons. i would say it wouldn't exist if vancouver hadn't had all kinds of immigration.

you could add "red robinson" and the hotel vancouver to that list.
mightybuck
Legend

Well hello everyone, I’m back after what 11 years
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
mightybuck
Legend

Hope you all that were on here back then are well
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good to have you back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Welcome back, mightybuck.
PGSSS74
Rookie

Listened to (AM Radio) and watched the Lions and the CFL since the late 60's. Mum was a big Saskatchewan fan, so whenever the Roughriders and Lions got together, it was fun!
Found the Grey Cup on Demand link on cfl.ca and watched the 1972 RR/Ti Cats match yesterday. Wow, some hitting!!
Lionize
prospect

I am a lifelong Lions fan, 64 years old and have watched them since 1964 with my Dad. I live in the Gulf Islands so don’t get to games anymore. All TV now days. Used to have seasons tickets in the 90’s. On the 50 Yd line above the Lions bench bottom row of Level 3, along the rail. Primo seats! Favourite QBs of all time? Flutie, Roy Dewalt, Danny Mac, Joe Kapp.

Go Lions Go!