The Horse Collar Tackle

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I haven 't seen any mention of it today but on the play where Skillern made a big catch, which was called back by penalty. He was totally horse collared on the play or so I thought. Is that not a penalty? I though I saw something similar last week in one of the LD games as well. I thought the league had instituted a new rule after the Tony Simmons debacle in Sask a couple of years back.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Big Time
Champion

I thought the same thing and was surprised it wasn't called. Wonder if Skillern hasn't been around in the league long enough to "earn" that call.
pennw
Legend

I agree , it looked to me like a horse collar too . They called the holding but let that go . That was a great play by Skillern , too bad it got called back .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:I haven 't seen any mention of it today but on the play where Skillern made a big catch, which was called back by penalty. He was totally horse collared on the play or so I thought. Is that not a penalty? I though I saw something similar last week in one of the LD games as well. I thought the league had instituted a new rule after the Tony Simmons debacle in Sask a couple of years back.
I thought the same thing but didn't see a replay to verify whether it was a horse collar. I've seen a couple of tackles in the past week that I thought were horse collars but, on replay, were shown to be legal tackles.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

i already rewatched the game, it was definatly a horse collar....i also remember yelling at the ref while watching the game.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Guess you haven't been around the league long enough for the refs to listen to you :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Let me add my voice to this one. I saw the same thing and did not have the benefit of a solid replay. I'd like something from the league, or some video, on that.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think the call is made based on the violence of the hit more than the position of the defenders hands.
pennw
Legend

DanoT wrote:I think the call is made based on the violence of the hit more than the position of the defenders hands.
From what I recall , he did yank Skillern right backward by the collar , that's enough to injure and the reason it's supposed to be a penalty . To me it almost seemed they over looked it because of the down and out postition the Ti-cats were in , in the game as well as in the season .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Horse collar is defined as:

Rule 7 - Fouls and Penalties
Section 2 - Major Fouls
Article 3 Unnecessary Roughness
A player shall be penalized for any act of unnecessary roughness against an opponent, including but not limited to:

j) Tackling an opponent by grabbing the inside collar of the side or back of the shoulder pads.

I was just reviewing the replays on TSN VOD on my computer which doesn't compare to watching it at the time on a honking big 52" wide screen in HD. Given the lack of quality it wasn't "indisputable evidence" one way or the other. The last replay sequence definitely showed Skillern's jersey being stretched away but I can't tell if the defender had his shoulder pads as well. Keep in mind by rule the key item for a horse collar infraction is the shoulder pads, not the jersey. If the Ti-Cat defender only had a mittful of Skillern's jersey there was no penalty. Pulling an opponent down by grabbing only the collar of his jersey is not illegal. The player must pull his opponent down by grabbing the collar of the shoulder pads to be penalized.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Horse collar is defined as:

Rule 7 - Fouls and Penalties
Section 2 - Major Fouls
Article 3 Unnecessary Roughness
A player shall be penalized for any act of unnecessary roughness against an opponent, including but not limited to:

j) Tackling an opponent by grabbing the inside collar of the side or back of the shoulder pads.

I was just reviewing the replays on TSN VOD on my computer which doesn't compare to watching it at the time on a honking big 52" wide screen in HD. Given the lack of quality it wasn't "indisputable evidence" one way or the other. The last replay sequence definitely showed Skillern's jersey being stretched away but I can't tell if the defender had his shoulder pads as well. Keep in mind by rule the key item for a horse collar infraction is the shoulder pads, not the jersey. If the Ti-Cat defender only had a mittful of Skillern's jersey there was no penalty. Pulling an opponent down by grabbing only the collar of his jersey is not illegal. The player must pull his opponent down by grabbing the collar of the shoulder pads to be penalized.
That is what I saw, complete jersey pull, not an infraction by definition of the rules you have submitted here. Just an awkward looking tackle and one that did affect Skillern, as it did have a horse collar type impact, although not to the same degree.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well if that is the case, then it is a rule that needs to be altered somewhat. That tackle had every bit the the serious injury potential as did the Simmons tackle. It still folds you backwards leaving the knees and legs vulnerable.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
pennw
Legend

I think the manner in which he went back wards shows what kind of a tackle it was . If the video doesn't clearly show where his hand was , I think the impact does . No way a tackler could get that strong a grip on a jersey from behind with one hand( maybe Big T could , but no one else) to send a receiver back like that with the momentum Skillern had unless the hand was inside the collar . If not inside the collar the jersey would have slipped free of the tacklers grip and Skillern would have gone into the endzone .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

pennw wrote:I think the manner in which he went back wards shows what kind of a tackle it was . If the video doesn't clearly show where his hand was , I think the impact does . No way a tackler could get that strong a grip on a jersey from behind with one hand( maybe Big T could , but no one else) to send a receiver back like that with the momentum Skillern had unless the hand was inside the collar . If not inside the collar the jersey would have slipped free of the tacklers grip and Skillern would have gone into the endzone .
Oh I think you'd be surprised how easily a defender can haul a player down with one hand on a jersey. Why do you think tearaway jerseys were so popular until they were eliminated?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
pennw wrote:I think the manner in which he went back wards shows what kind of a tackle it was . If the video doesn't clearly show where his hand was , I think the impact does . No way a tackler could get that strong a grip on a jersey from behind with one hand( maybe Big T could , but no one else) to send a receiver back like that with the momentum Skillern had unless the hand was inside the collar . If not inside the collar the jersey would have slipped free of the tacklers grip and Skillern would have gone into the endzone .
Oh I think you'd be surprised how easily a defender can haul a player down with one hand on a jersey. Why do you think tearaway jerseys were so popular until they were eliminated?
Wake also applied a one handed jersey tackle on a RB during the game, the only difference being the area of jersey grabbed.
Entertainment value = an all time low