Lions 35 - Cats 12 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:The B.C. offence has done a great job of spreading the field horizontally in the past two weeks, putting the ball in the hands of their playmakers in space. This has opened up a lot more space across the middle of the field for the running game and the underneath passing game. Today Logan had just 12 touches for 96 yards of offence, but Simon and Clermont also caught swing and hitch passes in the backfield. The Lions have been taking what the defence gives them, and that plays to Buck's strengths.

Skillern has looked terrific in recent weeks and Hill has contributed with Coleman out of the lineup. It will be a shame to see their roles reduced when Coleman comes back.

The next two weeks present a big challenge. Saskatchewan's defence is the best in the league but their offence is struggling. It will be more important than ever to manage the game and not turn the ball over.
You liked Skillern and supported him from the get go B.C. Fan and he's really starting to make an impact. He's a tough receiver who isn't afraid to go after a football in a crowd. I'm not so sure that Coleman will be back in the lineup. Certainly, if we decide to go with Roberts and Logan in the starting lineup (whether both on the field at the same time or not) someone has to come out. That's either Coleman or Jamal Johnson on defense and taking Johnson out would be crazy. Logan certainly doesn't deserve to come out. Any other ideas on who the Leos will take out when they put Roberts in? They will put Roberts in...Wally made the trade and will want to see it look good...and Roberts has played slotback a lot this season. Any thoughts??
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A receiver would be the logical choice. Alternatively insert Crawford into the regular rotation and sit out an import.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Me thinks roberts would scoff at running routes as he scoffed at returning kicks.....
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:You liked Skillern and supported him from the get go B.C. Fan and he's really starting to make an impact. He's a tough receiver who isn't afraid to go after a football in a crowd. I'm not so sure that Coleman will be back in the lineup. Certainly, if we decide to go with Roberts and Logan in the starting lineup (whether both on the field at the same time or not) someone has to come out. That's either Coleman or Jamal Johnson on defense and taking Johnson out would be crazy. Logan certainly doesn't deserve to come out. Any other ideas on who the Leos will take out when they put Roberts in? They will put Roberts in...Wally made the trade and will want to see it look good...and Roberts has played slotback a lot this season. Any thoughts??
I haven't heard an update on Coleman's injury. If he's still unavailable next week, then Roberts could drop into Hill's roster spot as a fifth receiver. I'd like to see Hill stay around, though. The Lions went into the season searching for a fourth and fifth receiver, and the need became even greater when Rodgers was hurt. With the development of Coleman and Sklillern and with Hill able to step into the offence and produce with few practice reps, the Lions have more depth at receiver than they've had all year. It would be fun to see Roberts get the ball on some of those swing passes and hitch screens where he can make people miss.
Area51
All Star

Makes much more sense to me for Roberts to take the roster spot of a guy like Gibbs or Stith than it does to not dress Hill or Coleman. Having Plante & Valli as backups on OL makes Stith pretty much redundant. Same on D where Foley & Kirk can fill any voids. Really, I don't see Gibbs getting much time at all.

I'd also argue for Reggie Myles to lose his spot for Roberts. I have no idea how this guy managed to play in the NFL. Completely toasted today on Hamilton's lone TD. Never even tried to turn and locate the ball. The only positive development in his game was that he stopped dancing on the sideline like a cheerleader. But maybe that was just because the stadium music selections sucked. There's no way Myles should be playing ahead of Dennis or Crawford.

It was good to see Wally gave Benevides permission to bring some blitzes today. Sure the front four can get pressure when the actually bring all of them instead of having one drop into coverage, but adding a blitzing LB into the rush causes so much more disruption of the pocket.

You can argue it might not be as effective against a smart savvy QB like Calvillo, but I sure hope they bring more of the same next week and see if Bishop makes poor decisions under pressure.
MacNews
Team Captain

Area51 wrote:It was good to see Wally gave Benevides permission to bring some blitzes today.
It sure was! There was consistent pressure the whole game...and you knew a sack was just around the corner!

I think this game will energize the team and give them confidence..it will show them that they can win.

:thup:

Great effort on the field today.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Area51 wrote:Makes much more sense to me for Roberts to take the roster spot of a guy like Gibbs or Stith than it does to not dress Hill or Coleman. Having Plante & Valli as backups on OL makes Stith pretty much redundant. Same on D where Foley & Kirk can fill any voids. Really, I don't see Gibbs getting much time at all.
Stith maybe on the 46-man roster but hasn't actually dressed for a game in some time and I don't think Gibbs has dressed yet for a game this season so those aren't moves Wally can make.
The Lions have signed Cdn receiver O'Neil Wilson and he is expected to be at practice on Tuesday. This move could lead to him taking Hill's spot and open up an import slot for Roberts. It is going to be an interesting week ahead to find out where actually Roberts fits in to the Lions game plan.

Nice to see the offence finally rolling and Buck getting everyone involved but the next 2 weeks will go a long way to determining if the Lions will even be a factor in the West this season or are they heading East. Amazingly, they were 1-yard away from being purrfect against the East this season. The Lions divisional records is the most glaring part of this season to date:

vs West teams: 1-4
vs. East teams: 4-1
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This was beaten to death by the tv announcers BUT why does Lumsden only get three touches?

Good pieces in todays Province (I guess I enjoy reading stories about BC WINS 8) ). Simon is starting to grow on me again. I think the 'dustup' really helped.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote: I don't see any purpose of putting Roberts and Logan on the field at the same time. Logan didn't gain 100 combined yds last game as the feature back, and now he has to giveup half his carries to Roberts? Neither of them is a blocker, so we need Green or Lumbala in there. I don't see much gain in trying to convert Roberts to a slotback, when taller receivers like Skillern and Hill have shown sure-hands?

No way the Lions should take Logan out of the lineup, even part-time. If we keep him, Roberts should be Logan's emergency replacement on the taxi squad.
I agree. But it looks like Charley will get playing time. Hambone's suggestion is interesting: Roberts and Wilson (or Hetherington) in; Bwenge (I would prefer Lumbala) and Hill out.

We might see a rotation of sorts involving Logan, Smart and Roberts. Suiting up determined by any number of factors (injury, performance, Ouija Board). :wink:

It seems to me some contortions are necessary to get 3 scatbacks into the game. I don't see the advantage of having 3 of that position type in the game at the expense of receiver or LB or DB.

As much as I don't like the idea, I would think Charles might be best used as an alternative to Logan. Wally alternated Joe Smith and Logan, a couple of games at a time each. He could do the same with the scatbacks, until Charley is gone by trade or SMS considerations.

(moving my comment over to the thread about getting CR into the lineup)
ziggy
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:clermont and simon were huge, skillern was very good and dependable. jjohnson was all over the feild, haha to casey for that weak attempt to tackle jjohnson on the pick. I think for the second game in a row that lumbala looked extremely weak and slow. they really need to work on the short yardage game with him. jjackson was much better in short yardage than lumbala. Lets not look to far into this tho....its like celebrating a big win over winnepeg. Good game by pierce. seems the cats are much worse at tackling than the lions.
Most posters here know how much I've been an advocate for the increased use of Lyle Green on offence for years and also for Jamal Johnson to be a starting linebacker. So you have to know how thrilled I was to see Lyle Green bounce off two tacklers for his touchdown and to see Jamal Johnson take his interception all the way to the end zone.

I really believe, on short yardage, right now, we'd be better to give the ball to Lyle Green on short yardage than Lambala. Lambala will likely become a good short yardage back but right now he's a rookie. Green has the experience to hit the right holes on short yardage.
I sure would like to see more of Lyle Green! He has good hands also!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:This was beaten to death by the tv announcers BUT why does Lumsden only get three touches?

Good pieces in todays Province (I guess I enjoy reading stories about BC WINS 8) ). Simon is starting to grow on me again. I think the 'dustup' really helped.
This is the year when CFL coaches put a hate on for a running back. That is all I can figure. His yards per carry are equal to the other guy's - pretty near 8 vs 7 yards per carry.

Casey needs to simplify his game. Lumsden - needs to see the ball. The first Q was close and into the 2nd so it is was not having to toss out a game plan. Printers looked at times to be looking too much for the huge play instead of the genius of Buck Pierce who takes the best option - the closest open guy as it is a higher percentage play. Pierce would be a good soccer player! When Printers got in the grasp he was shockingly like a rookie giving up the ball. That was ridiculous giving the Lions the ball off that play when he got rag dolled to the turf and let the ball go.

Ticats tackling was like school girls so some of the Lions huge gains might not be as easy if they tackled like pros. Not to take anything away from BC. Buck was clinical as they said on TV. He ripped them everywhere and some flags screwed up even more of the offensive drives that would have matched their last week's totals and then some.

The purse swinging with Simon and Williams is really a non-factor. I doubt they'll look back at this as the TSN turning point of the season.
D
Team Captain

a couple pics for your viewing ..... canuck4life, Rich Braley and I and the final score
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMO it was a case of the best D line (Lions) vs the worst O line. What is with Hamilton's play calling... under utilizing Jesse Lumsden is crazy. Lumsden is the best back in the league because he has the speed of a halfback and the power of a fullback and can block. Even if Cats weren't going to give the ball to Lumsden, he should have been out there helping to block Wake. I like Charlie Taffe but he is making a lot of bad coaching calls and may end up fired.

Nice to see more blitzing by the Lions, but expect Sask to do a lot more screen passes and sweeps aimed at Wake for next game.