Get rid of Buck Pierce (Kidding!)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
nelson95 wrote:It was only the TiCats guys

Lets see how the Buckster does next week
Are you overlooking what Buck did the previous week against a stingy Montreal defense? :???:

DH 8)
Buck would have surpassed last week's total if not for two holding calls which nullified long gains by Simon and Skillern.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Now granted I'm no football coach, but it always seemed to me that being able to switch up QBs at will would be a potent tool - it's a lot harder for a defense to figure out in advance what your offense is going to do if you have twice the number of situations to put yourself in. Just when you get them clicking against Buck's "picking apart" close-in plays, throw Jarious at them and make them scramble after the long bombs... and so on.

I think the whole "controversy" over who is going to be the one and only "starter" all season is silly when you have two guys who are both capable of being your regular starter. It's one thing when you have a clear #1 and a clear backup, but when either one can step in and play #1, why not take advantage of those extra weapons?

Sure, it would require some extra work in practice to make sure everyone's in tune with both of them, but you have the added advantage that if (heaven forbid) one goes down, your "backup" has less warmup time before he gets back in the groove.

Just my casual fan's two cents, anyway...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
pennw
Legend

Soundy wrote:Now granted I'm no football coach, but it always seemed to me that being able to switch up QBs at will would be a potent tool - it's a lot harder for a defense to figure out in advance what your offense is going to do if you have twice the number of situations to put yourself in. Just when you get them clicking against Buck's "picking apart" close-in plays, throw Jarious at them and make them scramble after the long bombs... and so on.

I think the whole "controversy" over who is going to be the one and only "starter" all season is silly when you have two guys who are both capable of being your regular starter. It's one thing when you have a clear #1 and a clear backup, but when either one can step in and play #1, why not take advantage of those extra weapons?

Sure, it would require some extra work in practice to make sure everyone's in tune with both of them, but you have the added advantage that if (heaven forbid) one goes down, your "backup" has less warmup time before he gets back in the groove.

You always have that option during a game already , any team does to switch QBs if the starter is ineffective . Sometimes coaches just need to be able to determine when a swithc is required sooner in a game .
As for not having a clear cut starter , did we not already go down that road when we had Dave Dickenson and C**** P******* here ?
Soundy
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Soundy wrote:Now granted I'm no football coach, but it always seemed to me that being able to switch up QBs at will would be a potent tool - it's a lot harder for a defense to figure out in advance what your offense is going to do if you have twice the number of situations to put yourself in. Just when you get them clicking against Buck's "picking apart" close-in plays, throw Jarious at them and make them scramble after the long bombs... and so on.

You always have that option during a game already , any team does to switch QBs if the starter is ineffective . Sometimes coaches just need to be able to determine when a swithc is required sooner in a game .
I know, the point was that the whole "quarterback controversy" thing is ridiculous. Is Buck the starter for the season? Is Jarious the starter for the season? Does it matter? Why not just change it up on a random basis to mess with the opponents? Why does "choosing a starter" have to be considered a vote for or against either of them? Maybe Wally should put an end to the whole debate by just pulling a name out of a hat each game!
As for not having a clear cut starter , did we not already go down that road when we had Dave Dickenson and C**** P******* here ?
I thought Dave was always the clear-cut starter, at least as far as Wally was concerned? The only debate there was among the media and fans.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I will say this once again......until the Lions' OC(s), whomever the hell they may be, decide to gameplan to utilize JJ's mobility........JJ will never realize his potential......and it's truly a shame when you think about it.

The guy has been nothing but a team player from the day he arrived and deserves all the support he should get from the coaching staff........but they are hellbent to stick with the DD playbook which plays to Buck's skill set far more than it plays to JJ's.

Truly a shame........
Lloyd
David
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:I will say this once again......until the Lions' OC(s), whomever the hell they may be, decide to gameplan to utilize JJ's mobility........JJ will never realize his potential......and it's truly a shame when you think about it.

The guy has been nothing but a team player from the day he arrived and deserves all the support he should get from the coaching staff........but they are hellbent to stick with the DD playbook which plays to Buck's skill set far more than it plays to JJ's.

Truly a shame........
I completely agree Lloyd, but given that our two quarterbacks have such vastly different styles and skill sets, I'd rather utilize a playbook that completely compliments one guy's strengths as a quarterback than a hodgepodge that fits neither. I would also submit that it may be easier to integrate JJ into Chap's playbook that plays to Buck's strengths than the reverse.

Also, this is no knock on our receivers but we're more of a "possession" type offence which, again, suits Buck better. If we had a compliment of legitmate deep threats in our line-up (like the Bombers, Stamps) I am sure you'd see Jarious thrive.

Sorry that we never connected in Montreal BTW. Damn Crescent Street. Too many bars. :lol:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:I will say this once again......until the Lions' OC(s), whomever the hell they may be, decide to gameplan to utilize JJ's mobility........JJ will never realize his potential......and it's truly a shame when you think about it.

Truly a shame........
I don't know. I could be game planning or whatever, but with JJ I just don't see it. He looks like an NFL type QB in a CFL game.

Something doesn't mesh.
ziggy
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:

Truly a shame........
I don't know. I could be game planning or whatever, but with JJ I just don't see it. He looks like an NFL type QB in a CFL game.

Something doesn't mesh.
I have to agree for what ever reason Buck seems better at finding the open receivers.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Truly a shame........
bang on dude. I would really love to see jarious come out on short yardage and grab the ball and basically run a wheel route with the ball. I think it would def help our short yardage when we do just plunge ahead as it will give opposing teams something else to think about instead of just stacking the box.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:

Truly a shame........

Something doesn't mesh.
Most young mobile QB's develop their skills with OC's that recognize that strength.......and to help develop the young QB by using that mobility in rollouts/bootlegs that allow the QB more time. When they hit the pro ranks, it's firmly entrenched and most are far better passers when they are throwing on the run as compared to just dropping back and throwing from the pocket (ie Matt Dunigan, Tom Clements, Kerry Joseph, etc).

That is JJ's comfort zone.......running rollouts/bootlegs and throwing on the run is what he does best.......expecting him to be an effective dropback passer in the mold of a Dickenson is ludicrous.......it's not how he's developed his skills.

The problem with JJ is he's too much of a team guy.......he continues to do what he's told instead of challenging the OC's to come up with plays that allows him to utilize his God given abilities......and all the while, he's getting older and his career is quickly slipping by.........it's truly sad.
Lloyd
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:

Truly a shame........

Something doesn't mesh.
Most young mobile QB's develop their skills with OC's that recognize that strength.......and to help develop the young QB by using that mobility in rollouts/bootlegs that allow the QB more time. When they hit the pro ranks, it's firmly entrenched and most are far better passers when they are throwing on the run as compared to just dropping back and throwing from the pocket (ie Matt Dunigan, Tom Clements, Kerry Joseph, etc).

That is JJ's comfort zone.......running rollouts/bootlegs and throwing on the run is what he does best.......expecting him to be an effective dropback passer in the mold of a Dickenson is ludicrous.......it's not how he's developed his skills.

The problem with JJ is he's too much of a team guy.......he continues to do what he's told instead of challenging the OC's to come up with plays that allows him to utilize his God given abilities......and all the while, he's getting older and his career is quickly slipping by.........it's truly sad.
I'll agree for the most part, tho im sure most everyone remembers the last time jarious debated play calling.....it got him a seat on the bench that so far he hasnt left...well, short yardage aside....

O N E
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:

I'll agree for the most part, tho im sure most everyone remembers the last time jarious debated play calling.....it got him a seat on the bench that so far he hasnt left...well, short yardage aside....
Frustration had finally set in and he spoke up...........instead of listening to him, Wally and crew, in their infinite arrogance ignored his pleas.

I'm hoping for JJ's sake (not mine or Lions' fans in general) that, sooner rather than later, the Lions deal JJ to a team that has an OC with more brain and less arrogance (as Printers dealt with the same thing from the same person back in 2004, we all know who that is)
Lloyd
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If Ottawa ever gets its act together and can field a team in the not too distant future, than JJ would make a nice expansion team QB.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

I wanted to throw a little tidbit about buck out there. ITs not something that many people will mention, but its something I noticed even when he wasn't starting. Buck is a tremendous holder. I dont kno how many of you notice but he gets a lot of high snaps and always gets the ball to the ground in position for the kicker to get points. It may not be the most glamourous skill but it is important and he's done a great job at it throughout the season.

O N E
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:If Ottawa ever gets its act together and can field a team in the not too distant future, than JJ would make a nice expansion team QB.
I for one will go with the return of Dan Crowley, in that case, thanks very much. 8)