Midseason stats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Each year I like to use the midseason stats to help gauge the Lions' performance to date. As might be expected for a team with a 4-5 record, the Lions don't stand out in many categories. These are the numbers that jump out at me this year.

The B.C. defence ranks second in the league against the run and third overall in yardage, but has given up the most touchdowns (26), most passing touchdowns (17) and second most points (27.9 per game).

Javier Glatt leads the Lions in tackles and is on pace to exceed his career high of 82 set in 2006.

B.C. leads the league in takeaways (29), interceptions (16) and fumble recoveries (10) but has the second most giveaways (25), including the second most interceptions (14) and second most fumbles (8). B.C.'s net takeaway-giveaway margin is +4, good for third in the league but a far cry from the league-leading numbers of recent years. (Division leaders Saskatchewan and Montreal rank first and second.)

Barron Miles is second in the league in interceptions with 4, followed by Korey Banks with 3, of which 2 were returned for touchdowns.

B.C. is fifth in the league in passing, rushing and net offence but third in passing touchdowns and seventh in rushing touchdowns. B.C. has run the second most plays from scrimmage but has the second lowest average time of possession.

Jarious Jackson had the first three 300-yard passing games of his career in the first half. Buck Pierce had the first 400-yard passing game of his career in Game 9.

Geroy Simon and Paris Jackson rank fourth and sixth, respectively, in receiving yardage and Jackson is on pace for his first 1,000-yard season as a receiver.

Cam Wake and Brent Johnson are first and second in the league in sacks, and the Lions are second as a team with 24, one behind Montreal.

Despite their losing record, the Lions have more first downs, passing and rushing yards and average net offence than their opponents in the first nine games.

Ex-Lion Joe Smith played in only 4 games but is still tied for the team lead in touchdowns with 3.

Rookie safety Jason Arakgi leads the team in special-teams tackles with 12, one more than Jason Pottinger and Jamall Johnson.

Ian Smart leads the league in kickoff return yardage and in kickoff return average (26.0 yards) among players with more than 10 returns.
Last edited by B.C.FAN on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Team Captain

Some interesting stats. Thanks for compiling. The one that jumps out at me was time of possession (which was the root of our problems IMO). Far too many two and outs through the first 9 games. This put considerable strain on the defense which explains some of their less-than-stellar numbers against the pass as they were spending far too much time on the field.

Imagine what Geroy's receiving numbers would look like had he not missed two games due to the hamstring problem?

Some additional thoughts:

Although the Lions played more home games (5) than away games (4) in the first half, I think we can all agree that it was far from an easy schedule (although there is a strong case to be made that there aren't any 'easy' games in this league).

The Leos only played one sub-:500 team (Winnipeg) and had two back-to-back games which are very difficult to sweep. We managed to win the first set against the Bombers but split against the Esks. We have 4 games in the second half against teams that are currently below :500.

Is there a stat for points given up on opening drives? I'd like to see that number against previous years. I'll bet it's a lot higher this year!

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be calling anything "easy" for the 2008 version of the Lions.

Hopefully, with a softer schedule in the 2nd half, they can right the black and orange ship, starting with this Saturday.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

David wrote:The one that jumps out at me was time of possession (which was the root of our problems IMO). Far too many two and outs through the first 9 games. This put considerable strain on the defense which explains some of their less-than-stellar numbers against the pass as they were spending far too much time on the field.
Good point David, but it is the ground game touches that effectively eats the clock, and contributes largely to time of possession within a ball control offense, keeping their defense on the field and their offense off of it.

Something we dominated the league with last year, but that is in the scheming of the game plan and play selection.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Good thread BC Fan.

I don't know if we dominated the time of possession last year like many of us on here thought. After doing some checking on cfl.ca, last years rankings in the category are as follows;

1. Montreal 31:48
2. Winnipeg 30:59
3. Edmonton 30:23
4. Calgary 30:02
5. B.C. 29:51
6. Sask 29:45
7. Toronto 28:54
8. Hamilton 28:44

I too thought we were higher than this stat read, so I checked the rushing stats and although we led the league in rush attempts and rushing first downs last season, we were not first in rushing yards.

Couldn't find any info pertaining to opening drive stats, but I'm sure that TSN will post something regarding it in an upcoming game.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A lot of the time last year the Lions played on a short field due to the Defense getting so many take aways. The short field also means less time of possession and less total rushing yards.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Our time of possession was more the amazing considering there was only 1:97 difference between the top time of possession and ours, relative to the length of field we play on.

You have to wonder what our totals might have look like if we had play on a longer field as most other teams did.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Big Time
Champion

The stats only tell half the story. For example, they don't keep stats on missed open field tackles, blown assignments, or how many times the Lions have given up first downs to receivers who were wide open without a defender in sight. There are no stats on how many times the Lions have given up a first down on 2nd and long, although I'm fairly certain they must be leading the league in this category. All in all, I'd say this Lions team so far has been extremely average and considering the level of talent, this is unacceptable.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Big Time wrote:The stats only tell half the story. For example, they don't keep stats on missed open field tackles, blown assignments, or how many times the Lions have given up first downs to receivers who were wide open without a defender in sight. There are no stats on how many times the Lions have given up a first down on 2nd and long, although I'm fairly certain they must be leading the league in this category. All in all, I'd say this Lions team so far has been extremely average and considering the level of talent, this is unacceptable.
I found the stat for first downs given up by the Lions in 2nd and long (defined as 2nd and 7 or more). They've given up 51 first downs on 130 attempts, or 39.2%. That's considerably higher than their rate for 2nd and medium (4 to 6 yards). In other words, the Lions are more likely to give up first downs in obvious passing situations.
Big Time
Champion

BC Fan, regarding 2nd and long, do you have any idea how that compares to the rest of the league?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Big Time wrote:BC Fan, regarding 2nd and long, do you have any idea how that compares to the rest of the league?
No, but I'd like to know if anyone has those figures.
ziggy
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Each year I like to use the midseason stats to help gauge the Lions' performance to date. As might be expected for a team with a 4-5 record, the Lions don't stand out in many categories. These are the numbers that jump out at me this year.

The B.C. defence ranks second in the league against the run and third overall in yardage, but has given up the most touchdowns (26), most passing touchdowns (17) and second most points (27.9 per game).

Javier Glatt leads the Lions in tackles and is on pace to exceed his career high of 82 set in 2006.

B.C. leads the league in takeaways (29), interceptions (16) and fumble recoveries (10) but has the second most giveaways (25), including the second most interceptions (14) and second most fumbles (8). B.C.'s net takeaway-giveaway margin is +4, good for third in the league but a far cry from the league-leading numbers of recent years. (Division leaders Saskatchewan and Montreal rank first and second.)

Barron Miles is second in the league in interceptions with 4, followed by Korey Banks with 3, of which 2 were returned for touchdowns.

B.C. is fifth in the league in passing, rushing and net offence but third in passing touchdowns and seventh in rushing touchdowns. B.C. has run the second most plays from scrimmage but has the second lowest average time of possession.

Jarious Jackson had the first three 300-yard passing games of his career in the first half. Buck Pierce had the first 400-yard passing game of his career in Game 9.

Geroy Simon and Paris Jackson rank fourth and sixth, respectively, in receiving yardage and Jackson is on pace for his first 1,000-yard season as a receiver.

Cam Wake and Brent Johnson are first and second in the league in sacks, and the Lions are second as a team with 24, one behind Montreal.

Despite their losing record, the Lions have more first downs, passing and rushing yards and average net offence than their opponents in the first nine games.

Ex-Lion Joe Smith played in only 4 games but is still tied for the team lead in touchdowns with 3.

Rookie safety Jason Arakgi leads the team in special-teams tackles with 12, one more than Jason Pottinger and Jamall Johnson.

Ian Smart leads the league in kickoff return yardage and in kickoff return average (26.0 yards) among players with more than 10 returns.
Second against the run and Javy leads the Lions in tackles, makes my day!