It's official, Roberts is a Lion and Smith is a Bomber

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Just reported on TSN.ca. I hope Smith as a Bomber doesn't backfire Lions attempt to make the playoffs via the crossover.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Just reported on TSN.ca. I hope Smith as a Bomber doesn't backfire Lions attempt to make the playoffs via the crossover.
Let's just concentrate on winning all of our remaining games and a crossover is moot.

Final standings prediction;

Eskimos
Lions
Stamps
Riders
Bosco
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Just reported on TSN.ca. I hope Smith as a Bomber doesn't backfire Lions attempt to make the playoffs via the crossover.
Hmmm..... I was hoping that this would be part of possibly a three way deal.

It will be interesting to see how Roberts reacts to the trade once some of the shock wears off.
Big Time
Champion

This move makes no sense to me at all. How does this do anything to solve the log jam at RB? Does this mean that both Logan and Roberts are going to play in the same game? If yes, then why the hell get rid of Smith? Roberts is the same type of back as Logan except he's older, more injured and more expensive. They're just trading one problem for another. They were better off just keeping Smith. I can't believe there isn't anything else to this trade like a draft pick.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

This trade sucks. Wally's made some curious decisions all year and this is another one.

Good luck in Winnipeg, Joe. Here's to you rubbing it in Wally's face for giving up on you and rolling for big game after big game down the stretch for the Bombers. You were a class act down to the bitter end and you deserved a better fate with the Lions.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:This move makes no sense to me at all. How does this do anything to solve the log jam at RB? Does this mean that both Logan and Roberts are going to play in the same game? If yes, then why the hell get rid of Smith? Roberts is the same type of back as Logan except he's older, more injured and more expensive. They're just trading one problem for another. They were better off just keeping Smith. I can't believe there isn't anything else to this trade like a draft pick.
I guess thats why we're fans and Buono's the GM/HC. I agree completely with your post, I'm hoping to look back at this post in late November and see how wrong we were about this deal :cr:
joesports
All Star

I still don't get the logic of this trade. Why trade a RB for a RB? Didn't we need a receiver?

So this must mean Wally thinks Joe's decreased productivity this year is not because of the game plan/scheming, it's because of the player.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. There's got to be more to this than we see.

Got to feel somewhat badly for Bomber fans and Roberts, though....only 13 more yards to hit the 10,000 mark and he'll be doing it in a new city. That's assuming we're going to play him and not have him be a benchwarmer like Joe.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

This deal is about:

• One expiring 29-year-old asset for another. Both were departing from their respective teams at the end of the season anyways — Roberts as a FA and Wally saying so along to Joe's big salary.

• The Lions now feel they are more effective with a "scat back" in their scheme than a power runner. Logan seems be utilized more and more as a receiving option out of the backfield. Why not bring one of the very best in the league to play the position or at the very worst give Logan's high ankle sprain a rest for a week or two? Maybe the trade rejuvenates Roberts and the Lions have a future hall of famer in all-star form for the stretch drive.

• The continued emergence of Rolly Lambala and a Canadian fullback to our scheme. The goalline debacle and questionable fumble overshadowed another promising game for the rookie. This kid is a beast with significant upside and Wally knows it.

Should be a bit of a media circus for Chuck's first practice and that's a good thing for a 4-5 football team in this town. And maybe we'll see some of those old Printers jerseys in the stadium Sept. 13 with the name bar removed. :lol:
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

the only reason i can see that wally made the trade was that roberts can effectivly be used as a reciever and smith wasnt. roberts, despite how terrible he has been this year rushing still has a 12.5 ypc average. roberts makes more than smith so this isnt a salary dump, esp since 2/3rds of smiths salary was paid at the start of the year.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:This deal is about:

• One expiring 29-year-old asset for another. Both were departing from their respective teams at the end of the season anyways — Roberts as a FA and Wally saying so along to Joe's big salary.

• The Lions now feel they are more effective with a "scat back" in their scheme than a power runner. Logan seems be utilized more and more as a receiving option out of the backfield. Why not bring one of the very best in the league to play the position or at the very worst give Logan's high ankle sprain a rest for a week or two? Maybe the trade rejuvenates Roberts and the Lions have a future hall of famer in all-star form for the stretch drive.

• The continued emergence of Rolly Lambala and a Canadian fullback to our scheme. The goalline debacle and questionable fumble overshadowed another promising game for the rookie. This kid is a beast with significant upside and Wally knows it.
I agree with your assessment, however don't you have to wonder why Roberts? I mean, what does that say to Lgoan, who knows about Roberts and has compared himself to Roberts with more options. Still this move has to add questions, not subtract them from Logan's PoV.
Entertainment value = an all time low
firstdown45

1. Did Roberts ask for a trade out of Winnipeg?

2. Did Smith ask for a trade out of B.C.?

Roberts is now on a competitive team. Smith can help out a not very good team just as Printers is helping a not very good team.

Mr. Smith has an attitude problem. You all claim Printers had an attitude problem.

You all hate Printers so much but love Smith so much yet they both apparently have attitude problems?

If Printer's attitude was hurting the team, explain how Smith's situation is so different.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

firstdown45 wrote:1. Did Roberts ask for a trade out of Winnipeg?

2. Did Smith ask for a trade out of B.C.?

Roberts is now on a competitive team. Smith can help out a not very good team just as Printers is helping a not very good team.

Mr. Smith has an attitude problem. You all claim Printers had an attitude problem.

You all hate Printers so much but love Smith so much yet they both apparently have attitude problems?

If Printer's attitude was hurting the team, explain how Smith's situation is so different.
Printers publicly complained about whatever displeased him, sulked on the sidelines and was a real bring down for the team when he didnt get his way. I dont see smith having an attitude problem, he just doesnt take football that seriously, cant say i blame him. Neither player requested a trade to my knowledge. People dont hate printers, they just dont want him here. Printers always made things bigger than they were whereas joe smith said nothing, never complained and was available whenever REQUIRED. He was not REQUIRED to be at games that he was not dressed for. Printers is a me first person, joe not so much. I think you need to go to hamilton and be with your boyfriend casey, as thats really all you talk about here.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:I agree with your assessment, however don't you have to wonder why Roberts? I mean, what does that say to Lgoan, who knows about Roberts and has compared himself to Roberts with more options. Still this move has to add questions, not subtract them from Logan's PoV.
I think it is a case of acquiring "ready now " depth and Wally biting on the first significant offer for Smith who has been on the market for at least a couple of weeks. Also much easier to push a rookie than say signing Orlando Steinhauer to challenge Baron Miles. Logan still knows time and age is on his side.

I don't think we will see Roberts in a Lions uniform until Sept. 13 against the Riders which will give Logan another game to perform at a high level and give the coaches even more reason to think this one out. However, you know Wally likes the idea of inserting a perennial all-star into his line-up with a point to prove.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Rammer wrote:I agree with your assessment, however don't you have to wonder why Roberts? I mean, what does that say to Lgoan, who knows about Roberts and has compared himself to Roberts with more options. Still this move has to add questions, not subtract them from Logan's PoV.
I think it is a case of acquiring "ready now " depth and Wally biting on the first significant offer for Smith who has been on the market for at least a couple of weeks. Also much easier to push a rookie than say signing Orlando Steinhauer to challenge Baron Miles. Logan still knows time and age is on his side.

I don't think we will see Roberts in a Lions uniform until Sept. 13 against the Riders which will give Logan another game to perform at a high level and give the coaches even more reason to think this one out. However, you know Wally likes the idea of inserting a perennial all-star into his line-up with a point to prove.
I know this; at the goal line when you need to punch it in Roberts ALWAYS gets a yard.
David
Team Captain

I've maintained for the last couple of weeks that this team needed some kind of 'spark' in the line-up to get things rolling. Buck Pierce obviously helped, but I think Charles Roberts will inject some much needed life into this team and the dressing room to get things firing. I see good things ahead.

Is he the first player I'd want in return for last year's leading rusher? No, but he was by far the best asset offered in return. At the very least, CR will be a great mentor for a raw rookie who will now get to watch and learn every day in practice from one of the best in league history.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar