Anyone else notice the siren during Bombers/riders game?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I thought it was illegal but several times when Bombers were on offense there was a siren blaring during the snap count. It didn't seem to affect the bombers but it got annoying to hear while watching the game on TV. Anyways, glad the Riders won because it helps the Lions quest for the playoff cross over which I believe is now the Lions best chance for a playoff appearance.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote: ... siren blaring during the snap count. ...
You mean some kind of piped-in noise!?! :wink:

Maybe CFL teams going to play in Regina should practice the week before with giant loudspeakers playing a siren!!!!

I DID notice the siren and it was annoying.
joesports
All Star

I found it very annoying to have to listen to that siren over and over again. This is the second or third game that I've watched on TV and heard it.

Kinda funny how the Riders have "complained" about BC Place pumping in crowd nose but yet they allow this loser with his siren.

I wonder how Article 10 in the rule book applies,

"Article 10 – Crowd Noise
The Team A captain may request the Referee to stop the game if excessive crowd
noise prevents Team A from putting the ball into play. The Referee may permit Team
A to return to its huddle. The Referee shall allow reasonable time but under no
circumstances shall the play be delayed more than three times.
In the event that the home team permits in its stadium the use of either electronic
equipment or high volume loudspeakers when the visiting team is attempting to put
the ball in play, with the result that the game is delayed, the home team shall be
subject to penalty for delay of game."

Someone should email Higgins and ask.
Rammer
Team Captain

I think that the siren is being done by the same character that use to have the Flame, could be wrong there. However, the league should do something about it if not just for the viewing audience, ridiculous having to listen to that throughout the match. Can you imagine sitting by that noise all game long?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Can you imagine sitting by that noise all game long?
Someone would be getting an elbow in the head pretty damn quick.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

I agree
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders should clean up their own act before accusing other teams of piped in sounds
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I was at Mosaic yesterday and certainly didn't hear whatever siren you're talking about. I can also attest to the quality of Mosaic's sound system. It's brutal and makes BC Place's sound like state-of-the-art technology.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Riders should clean up their own act before accusing other teams of piped in sounds
:whs:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I feel sorry for the Riderfans who were sitting next to that siren. The fan knows what to do though, the siren ONLY blared during Winnepge offensive plays (or did it go off after Rider TD's/Field Goals too?). It sure sounded loud on television, I'm glad you didn't have to listen to it while watching the game, Hambone.

BTW, you mentioned the soundsystem, hows the rest of the 'game experience' at Mosiac?
aPeacefulVisitor
prospect

Yeah, you can't hear it if you're actually at the game and around it. TSN should find the guy and tell him to turn it off, I doubt if no one complains about it at Mosaic, that they even know about it.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

notahomer wrote:I feel sorry for the Riderfans who were sitting next to that siren. The fan knows what to do though, the siren ONLY blared during Winnepge offensive plays (or did it go off after Rider TD's/Field Goals too?). It sure sounded loud on television, I'm glad you didn't have to listen to it while watching the game, Hambone.

BTW, you mentioned the soundsystem, hows the rest of the 'game experience' at Mosiac?
I wonder if maybe this siren was coming from some goofball who happened to be up in the nosebleeds close to the broadcast booth. Sounds like it was far more irritating to those at home than at the stadium. I still don't believe those sorts of things have any impact on the players as they just tune most of that stuff out anyways.

Overall the LD Classic experience was pretty good. Not exactly Grey Cup, but not unlike Grey Cup the atmosphere around town was all good leading up to the game with the game itself being almost an afterthought.

I drove in from Brandon on Saturday afternoon and checked in to the Quality Inn downtown. Immediately across the street was the Regina Inn which was full of Bomber fans as well as some Rider fans. Needless to say many of the sundecks were adorned with Bomber colours and there were lots of fans whooping it up hooting and hollering from those decks as fans and/or vehicles adorned in Bomber colours drove past. I had to go get some beer and hit an ATM and on the Quality Inn side of the street passed a guy looking a bit official-like in black slacks and a white golf shirt holding onto a small portable radio. As I approached him I said "Lemme guess. Regina Inn security?". He grinned and nodded, but all things were good. Everybody was just having a good time.

Later on in front of O'Hanlons Pub on Scarth St. a half dozen guys broke into an impromptu quasi touch football game on the street. 3 Bomber fans on one side and 2 Rider and 1 Bomber fans on the other. Of course like street hockey they had to break for CAR!!!!.

Brent "Blue Fan" Shule who posts here occasionally was part of a 3 bus charter that came in from Winnipeg. As part of that Brent also helps organize a fund-raiser/social at their hotel, the Ramada Inn. I took that in for a few hours. It was pretty close to a full house with about 90% Bomber fans, 10% Rider fans and one Lion fan.

On game day that same large Bomber contingent thanks to an arrangement with the house owner makes use of the yard immediately adjacent to Mosiac for a backyard pre-game party. It seems a bit surreal to see this yard which is the closest point to Mosiac being jammed full of Bomber fans. The Riders also run a tailgate party on the practice field beside Mosiac. There must've been 1500 people there at the height of it all. It all set off a carnival like atmosphere. I'll have to download some pictures.

As for Mosaic it of course is still a barn. The weather was crappy and not unlike a typical lousy day in Vancouver in November. The wind was blowing hard out of the north and it drizzled or rained for most of the game. It was a raw, cold, damp ugly day. It reminded me why I still don't shed tears when Empire Stadium was vacated. My seat was in one of the new temporary seats they scabbed onto the southwest corner of the stadium. They've added 3 sections of temporary bleachers to increase capacity by 2185. The game itself as should've been expected was as dull and dreary as the weather. Neither team was able to generate any sort of offensive momentum battling the elements.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Okay the word from RF is that this guy is in Section 24 about 10 rows up and is Dave Ash from Dash Tours (not the Flame as I had thought), a CFL promoter that generally has GC tickets to go along with a hotel package. Some around him don't mind the siren, but so far they seem to be the ones behind him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hutch85
All Star

this guy is in Section 24 about 10 rows up and is Dave Ash
Ahh, so that's the dumb-Ash with the siren! :lol: Let me guess, he has a flashing red light on a hat too, for that true early-80's effect?

Ya, heard it during previous telecasts before, it's not the slightest bit annoying, nosiree... :sigh: Maybe the next SK visit to BC Place should include some piped-in siren noise.