Who Is Running Our Offence??

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I would have liked to have seen the game end with a play action, roll out and throw to the tight end.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:Who is really running the team?

Apparently, it's us...
We suck. We're 4-5 and we need to do better. C'mon Lionbackers! Type harder!!
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
Soundy wrote:Who is really running the team?

Apparently, it's us...
We suck. We're 4-5 and we need to do better. C'mon Lionbackers! Type harder!!
:bang: damn finger cramps......
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Well, I guess Wally was listening to firstchimp120, since Joe has now morphed into Charles. If it doesn't work out, chimpy45 is fired!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Blitz
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:I would just ask that whoever is running the offense comes up with a goal line package. Every team in football has a tight, limited number of plays that they run in goal line situations. They practice them relentlessly in situational drills in scrimmage, with every guy on the team knowing exactly what they are. One inside run, one outside run, one play action pass. It's just not that hard -- find your three best plays for third and short, and rep the #$%$ out of them, because third and short is where games are won and lost.

The Lions looked for all the world on Friday night like a team that had no freaking clue what to run in third and goal from the one, culminating in a cringe-inducing fumbled handoff. That's the kind of stuff you see in pre-season or in a youth football game, not in a mid-season CFL game. It was brutal, and the blame lies squarely with the head coach. This is Wally's team, and at the end of the day it is his responsibility to ensure that the basics are being taught and executed. In a critical situation, we simply didn't have a plan. Inexcusable.
:whs:

Lionut...you've coached a lot of football..so here are a couple of questions. I understand the thinking of a jumbo team in there on short yardage but do you agree with me, if the defense overstacks the inside, they can find gaps to penetrate or go over the top. It's even tougher when you run a slow developing play or have your tailback too far back in the backfield. We had our offense spread across the line of scimmage with a two back set, with one fullback set to one side. We ran the play opposite to the fullback on second down and got stuffed three four yards back from the goalline. Their defense had people lined up, one behind the other, in the A and B gaps, so that once the initial block was made they could get people free to penetrate.

It makes more sense to force them to spread the offence out some and have two plays called so you can audible, based upon the defensive formation. I think it advantages the defense, when they can get more people inside the box that your offence has players to block them.

I totally agree with everything in your post....I think you hit it right on the head!!!!!!!!!!!! :thup: :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Lowell Ullrich wrote an article today about the three chances from the one yard line to have the opportunity to win the game against Montreal.

I almost chuckled at our Leos trotted out some stats to try to make the 'giant' or 'jumbo' formation look more effective than it is. The article pointed out "The overall success rate when the Lions trot out their giants package, which utilizes several defensive lineman, is high. B.C. has gained positive yardage 27 times of the 38 plays run in the formation, resulting in 17 first downs and six touchdowns, roughly on par with last season, according to offensive co-ordinator Dan Dorazio"

Well, positive yardage can be one inch or one foot. I don't consider positive yardage 27 times out of 38 times a great stat out of a short yardgage formation, especially when we onlly have gotten 17 first downs out of 38 attempts, in that formation, when we are going for the first down, in a short yardage situation. They might have been better off not to even mention it but perhaps they think we're dum enough to think that is a successful record.

Now it's only 17 first downs out of 41 attemtps or 23 first downs and touchdowns out of 41 attemtps. That's not much better than 50%.

Even if we had scored on our third attempt on the Montreal one yard line it would have been called back for Lions also called for illigal procedure because a lineman failed to report as an eligible receiver "despite having done so on the previous two plays" (Province). Talk about a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
hwgill
Legend

You know what pisses me off about the whole Chappy thing...the EE offense last year had great numbers...but they sucked as a team and couldn't win games with Chappy making the calls. Now, the Leos are in the same position, great offensive stats, but the wins aren't coming.

Seems to me that Chappy is the problem, not the solution.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

hwgill wrote:You know what pisses me off about the whole Chappy thing...the EE offense last year had great numbers...but they sucked as a team and couldn't win games with Chappy making the calls. Now, the Leos are in the same position, great offensive stats, but the wins aren't coming.
Coincidence ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

hwgill wrote:You know what pisses me off about the whole Chappy thing...the EE offense last year had great numbers...but they sucked as a team and couldn't win games with Chappy making the calls. Now, the Leos are in the same position, great offensive stats, but the wins aren't coming.

Seems to me that Chappy is the problem, not the solution.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Blitz - I have always felt that in short yardage situations, you are best to go off tackle, not up the A or B gaps. As the Lions discovered (three freaking times in a row), good teams will have those gaps stacked up each and every time. If you line up with a big tight end, though, you can usually get your TE and tackle to wedge it up, and allow your back to get a yard or two running there. In fact, there are times when you run short yardage at midfield, and that play will go for 30 yards if the TE can collapse down the DE across from him.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:Well, I guess Wally was listening to firstchimp120, since Joe has now morphed into Charles. If it doesn't work out, chimpy45 is fired!
:lol:

A little humor always serves to relieve the stress Soundy.

Now who can we get firstchimp120 to morph into?

I heard he was traded in a package deal with Honour Dewalt, but I'm not sure we got back in return? :tease:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:Blitz - I have always felt that in short yardage situations, you are best to go off tackle, not up the A or B gaps. As the Lions discovered (three freaking times in a row), good teams will have those gaps stacked up each and every time. If you line up with a big tight end, though, you can usually get your TE and tackle to wedge it up, and allow your back to get a yard or two running there. In fact, there are times when you run short yardage at midfield, and that play will go for 30 yards if the TE can collapse down the DE across from him.
Totally agree Lionut!! It also allows the back to kick it outside if everyone on defense slants inside. The only time to hit the A or B gaps is with the quarterback sneak and if your quarterback doesn't get low enough, you can also anticipate the second layer flying over the top, in the A and B gaps.

However, I also believe that if you're going off-tackle, you need to lead block it as well as have the TE and tackle wedge it up..allowing the tailback to read the block. You also can't line up as deep as usual. However, here is another question..would you jumbo it with everyone or would you also line up some receivers outside??? I have my thoughts but would rather wait to hear yours....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It pays to mix it up at the goal line and yes, spread them out. It is not like the end zone in this league is so tight you can't pass into from the one. You can and they do so get some receivers wide and force them to cover.

It is not dissimilar to the short corner kick in soccer. Two players to bring it in means two come from the penalty area to cover making it easier to rocket it in and get an attacking header as there are less defenders. Add a 3rd to that when you move a fullback up to receive a back pass. This forces them to push what is usually a lone striker over to the sideline and takes away a quick counter attack if the GK sees a one on one. Many pro soccer coaches haven't realized that by creating fewer people in the scoring cone as they call it is better for the attacking team every time as there is more space to get a header or low shot through. It is not dissimilar to the goal line attack and defence which some coaches now vary by spreading it out with some receivers on the field.

It could also be set up like that and run the QB off that play using big jumbo types in the receivers package.
ziggy
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Lionut wrote:Blitz - I have always felt that in short yardage situations, you are best to go off tackle, not up the A or B gaps. As the Lions discovered (three freaking times in a row), good teams will have those gaps stacked up each and every time. If you line up with a big tight end, though, you can usually get your TE and tackle to wedge it up, and allow your back to get a yard or two running there. In fact, there are times when you run short yardage at midfield, and that play will go for 30 yards if the TE can collapse down the DE across from him.
Totally agree Lionut!! It also allows the back to kick it outside if everyone on defense slants inside. The only time to hit the A or B gaps is with the quarterback sneak and if your quarterback doesn't get low enough, you can also anticipate the second layer flying over the top, in the A and B gaps.

However, I also believe that if you're going off-tackle, you need to lead block it as well as have the TE and tackle wedge it up..allowing the tailback to read the block. You also can't line up as deep as usual. However, here is another question..would you jumbo it with everyone or would you also line up some receivers outside??? I have my thoughts but would rather wait to hear yours....
If the play is so slow developing that the D is in your backfield prior to the handoff, I think you'll get stuffed no matter what you call.
pennw
Legend

Watching the Stamps-Esks game last night and seeing Ricky Ray do the QB sneak ,he sure made it look easy gaining about 3 yards instead of the half our unit is capable . I was nice when our team :sigh: used to be able to do that.
Nothing fancy they did , just pushed the d-line back and they were in the endzone . Just what is our team doing wrong when they try it ? Is it that our linemen just aren't stong enough to push anyone back anymore or is there something wrong with our shortyardage scheme?To compare them to the push the others seem to get , it just looks like our guys need to get into the weight room alot more instead of using the donut method of weight gain .