Smith should have been gone two weeks ago - how much longer?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Area51
All Star

Anybody still think Smith needs to be taking up a spot in this locker room?

I challenge anyone to try and think of five plays all season where Smith showed the amount of heart Logan did tonight breaking through tackles and forcing Calgary to send multiple tacklers to bring him down. Big deal, Smith got a couple of first downs on third and inches. You did not see him hit the hole anywhere near as hard as Logan's been doing and you surely didn't see him spin out of tackles or cut back by defenders the way Logan does.

It's not 2006 anymore. The Smith era has ended. Releasing him is the first step towards changing the attitude and mindset of this year's team and trying to wake everyone up before the season's completely lost.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

It's not 2006? So I guess you're forgetting about 2007 then. You could have drove a truck through the hole the O-Line gave Logan in the 2nd quarter tonight. Joe hasn't had a hole like that all year long.
Area51
All Star

No Ordinary Joe wrote: You could have drove a truck through the hole the O-Line gave Logan in the 2nd quarter tonight.
Not if the truck doesn't bother shifting into high gear when he hits the hole.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Area51 wrote:
No Ordinary Joe wrote: You could have drove a truck through the hole the O-Line gave Logan in the 2nd quarter tonight.
Joe is a great downhill runner, we just haven't given him the opportunity to display that yet this season. Do you not remember last year at all? How many times would Joe get a hole and explode through it and was into the secondary before teams could even catch him? Once Joe gets a haed of steam behind him, he's incredibly hard to bring down. Give Joe the hole that Stef got tonight and you would have seen the same result.
Dan
Rookie

No Ordinary Joe wrote:
Area51 wrote:
Joe is a great downhill runner, we just haven't given him the opportunity to display that yet this season. Do you not remember last year at all? How many times would Joe get a hole and explode through it and was into the secondary before teams could even catch him? Once Joe gets a haed of steam behind him, he's incredibly hard to bring down. Give Joe the hole that Stef got tonight and you would have seen the same result.
I have to agree, Smith is a great down hill runner. I don't question his ability but I do question his heart and his attitude. I wish Wally would get both on the field at the same time, but if not, then I go with Logan.
pennw
Legend

Those third down runs Smith made were NOT 3rd and inches . Go watch that Montreal game again . Those were mostly third and 2 yards he made in that game , one gamble was also about 3rd and 10 , although it was a catch for 11 he made on that one .When it's third and inches we almost always do a quarterback sneak . Don't kid yourself Smith was the reason we won the Montreal game .
And yes Logan did play very well again and deserves to start .
Now we just need to get our O-line playing better too . Why not apply the same standard to them ? How does Stith at left tackle sound ? He does play better then that pylon we've had there lately too . So why isn't Stith the starter ? From what I understand the incumbent makes a pretty hefty salary too , just like Smith.
Tighthead
Legend

Area51 wrote:Anybody still think Smith needs to be taking up a spot in this locker room?

I challenge anyone to try and think of five plays all season where Smith showed the amount of heart Logan did tonight breaking through tackles and forcing Calgary to send multiple tacklers to bring him down. Big deal, Smith got a couple of first downs on third and inches. You did not see him hit the hole anywhere near as hard as Logan's been doing and you surely didn't see him spin out of tackles or cut back by defenders the way Logan does.

It's not 2006 anymore. The Smith era has ended. Releasing him is the first step towards changing the attitude and mindset of this year's team and trying to wake everyone up before the season's completely lost.
Benching Smith didn't wake up Banks, Murphy, Reid, Bates, Glatt, or Hunt. I'm not sure why releasing him will wake up the team. The scapegoat routine has done nothing so far. There is no accountability on this team, and the treatment of Smith only creates the illusion of accountability.

If you want to wake everyone up, insert Stith at LT, put Glatt on special teams, and find a new DT.

This team has problems that run far deeper than Joe Smith. Releasing him isn't going to keep Mike Labinjo et al out of the backfield.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:
Area51 wrote:Anybody still think Smith needs to be taking up a spot in this locker room?

Benching Smith didn't wake up Banks, Murphy, Reid, Bates, Glatt, or Hunt. I'm not sure why releasing him will wake up the team. The scapegoat routine has done nothing so far. There is no accountability on this team, and the treatment of Smith only creates the illusion of accountability.

If you want to wake everyone up, insert Stith at LT, put Glatt on special teams, and find a new DT.

This team has problems that run far deeper than Joe Smith. Releasing him isn't going to keep Mike Labinjo et al out of the backfield.
:whs: Very well put. Football is a team sport, and the problems are team-wide. You can't pin it on one guy.
Real women wear orange!!
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

CatsEyes wrote:
Tighthead wrote:

:whs: Very well put. Football is a team sport, and the problems are team-wide. You can't pin it on one guy.
True, but the lions werent even in the game when it started. And that comes down to coaching. Teams have caught on to our vanilla playbook, and the lions simply can not depend on just the front four to get pressure, we need to develop some blitz packages that feature the half back or corner blitz, if we ever intend on shaking up other teams offensive strategies. The coverage just isnt good enough to give opposing QB's the time they've been getting.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Blitz
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:[

:whs:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:Benching Smith didn't wake up Banks, Murphy, Reid, Bates, Glatt, or Hunt. I'm not sure why releasing him will wake up the team. The scapegoat routine has done nothing so far. There is no accountability on this team, and the treatment of Smith only creates the illusion of accountability.

The only guy that it woke up was Wake.

But then, he was already a Wake. :rotf:

I slay me!
pennw
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
Tighthead wrote:Benching Smith didn't wake up Banks, Murphy, Reid, Bates, Glatt, or Hunt. I'm not sure why releasing him will wake up the team. The scapegoat routine has done nothing so far. There is no accountability on this team, and the treatment of Smith only creates the illusion of accountability.

The only guy that it woke up was Wake.

But then, he was already a Wake. :rotf:

I slay me!
Brent Johnson's not sleepwalking either . If not for those two guys we'd really be in trouble .
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

that goon lefko is reporting that joe smith is not wanted in toronto due to his attitude.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Yeah, Toronto covets guys with great attitudes like Ricky Williams, R Jay Soward and Robert Baker.

Why would they want someone that has a proven CFL record (not criminal record) and is laid back off of the field?
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Yeah, Toronto covets guys with great attitudes like Ricky Williams, R Jay Soward and Robert Baker.

Why would they want someone that has a proven CFL record (not criminal record) and is laid back off of the field?
Ricky Williams was laid back off the field like Smith. By all accounts he was a good team player with the Argos as well. He never complained about not getting the ball or showed any signs of ego while in Toronto. Soward and Baker were another story ego-wise. Williams didn't have a criminal record either. He just happened to fail the NFL tinkle test for pot.........something a few CFL players would probably fail too if the CFL ever instituted testing.

Some media had problems with Williams only because when they asked a question they wanted a jock-speak cliched answer, something Williams simply didn't provide. As McCown liked to say "that guy is a different cat". Williams is a rare cross-breed of characters. Start with Jim Brown, add a portion of Plato, mix in a bit of California surfer and a dash of Tommy Chong and voila!
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.