Smith should have been gone two weeks ago - how much longer?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Good, I hope Toronto doesn't want him because we still need him. With an Eastern crossover looking more likely every single game, I'd rather have Joe Smith in the backfield for those November games in the east.
Rammer
Team Captain

No Ordinary Joe wrote:Good, I hope Toronto doesn't want him because we still need him. With an Eastern crossover looking more likely every single game, I'd rather have Joe Smith in the backfield for those November games in the east.
Except that by the current standings the East will be two matches on turf, in TO and Montreal's Olympic Stadium. Logan would enjoy that.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
No Ordinary Joe wrote:Good, I hope Toronto doesn't want him because we still need him. With an Eastern crossover looking more likely every single game, I'd rather have Joe Smith in the backfield for those November games in the east.
Except that by the current standings the East will be two matches on turf, in TO and Montreal's Olympic Stadium. Logan would enjoy that.
An all-indoor road to an indoor Grey Cup. If you have to go on the road in November, it might as well be that road.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Hambone wrote: Ricky Williams was laid back off the field like Smith. By all accounts he was a good team player with the Argos as well. He never complained about not getting the ball or showed any signs of ego while in Toronto. Soward and Baker were another story ego-wise. Williams didn't have a criminal record either. He just happened to fail the NFL tinkle test for pot.........something a few CFL players would probably fail too if the CFL ever instituted testing.
If by laid back, you mean he smoked weed regularly....then I agree. Joe however has kept his 4:20 time slot open while here in BC. And Ricky didn't just fail one test, he failed two and was subject to suspension and fines of $650K.

Williams was arrested back in 2000....something that seems to be a pre-requisite for the Argos.....and I'm sure that any member of the Miami Dolphins back in 2004 may not agree that he was such a good team player....just ask Jay Feely or Zach Thomas who were both very outspoken.

I would hardly compare the 2....one was talented and "tinkled" away eveything he had and was, while the other is simply a talented guy that has been labeled quirky by the media and some fans. Having met Joe and talked to him, he's head and shoulders above the former Argo...on and off the CFL field.

Rickys mug shot
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Hambone wrote: Ricky Williams was laid back off the field like Smith. By all accounts he was a good team player with the Argos as well. He never complained about not getting the ball or showed any signs of ego while in Toronto. Soward and Baker were another story ego-wise. Williams didn't have a criminal record either. He just happened to fail the NFL tinkle test for pot.........something a few CFL players would probably fail too if the CFL ever instituted testing.
If by laid back, you mean he smoked weed regularly....then I agree. Joe however has kept his 4:20 time slot open while here in BC. And Ricky didn't just fail one test, he failed two and was subject to suspension and fines of $650K.

Williams was arrested back in 2000....something that seems to be a pre-requisite for the Argos.....and I'm sure that any member of the Miami Dolphins back in 2004 may not agree that he was such a good team player....just ask Jay Feely or Zach Thomas who were both very outspoken.

I would hardly compare the 2....one was talented and "tinkled" away eveything he had and was, while the other is simply a talented guy that has been labeled quirky by the media and some fans. Having met Joe and talked to him, he's head and shoulders above the former Argo...on and off the CFL field.

Rickys mug shot
Agreed. Had a great talk with Joe at practice yesterday. Such a good dude and very personable with fans. Sets a good example in practice, doesn't whine, doesn't *beeotch* (at least publicly) and does what's asked of him. Ricky Williams on the other hand is selfish. Who else essentially gives his team the finger just before training camp when they were counting on him being a big part of their offence for that year, quitting on the fans and his teammates which forces the team to draft a RB with a high first round pick and then decides he wants to come back after they've spent time and money devleoping his replacement just because he needs to pay his bills once he realized what an idiotic decison he made to quit in the first place. Ricky Williams sucks, Joe Smith is class.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Get Joe and Stefan on the field at the same time by making Stefan the 4th receiver. With all the backfield motion allowed in the CFL lining him up all over the place and moving him all over the place before the snap of the ball should drive defenses crazy. However this is too progressive for the conservative BC LIons.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Get Joe and Stefan on the field at the same time by making Stefan the 4th receiver. With all the backfield motion allowed in the CFL lining him up all over the place and moving him all over the place before the snap of the ball should drive defenses crazy.
Nope but the good news is they have gone searching the streets and located recently released Kahil Hill as a possible replacement for a nicked Clarence Coleman.

Given what little Hill did in his two games replacing Geroy, it just shows how much faith they have in Adam Nicolson — their 1st round draft pick in ’07 — even as a 5th receiver option for one game.

I would rather see them go that route and then bring in a couple of NFL cuts .
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
DanoT wrote:Get Joe and Stefan on the field at the same time by making Stefan the 4th receiver. With all the backfield motion allowed in the CFL lining him up all over the place and moving him all over the place before the snap of the ball should drive defenses crazy.
Nope but the good news is they have gone searching the streets and located recently released Kahil Hill as a possible replacement for a nicked Clarence Coleman.

Given what little Hill did in his two games replacing Geroy, it just shows how much faith they have in Adam Nicolson — their 1st round draft pick in ’07 — even as a 5th receiver option for one game.

did you not see the game nicholson played in????? he had like 6 passes sent his way, all of them catchable and he manage to hold on to one of them. not a great prospect if you ask me.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Rammer
Team Captain

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:

did you not see the game nicholson played in????? he had like 6 passes sent his way, all of them catchable and he manage to hold on to one of them. not a great prospect if you ask me.
Not sure that you would have him cut, Fantuz didn't exactly light it up in his early days, even last season he had difficulty, yet he would be my 4th NI receiver right now. Some guys just need to get use to the game conditions in order to get the feel...
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:did you not see the game nicholson played in????? he had like 6 passes sent his way, all of them catchable and he manage to hold on to one of them. not a great prospect if you ask me.
It only took Kamau Peterson 4 CFL stops and 6 seasons before he discovered his hands were useful for more than wiping his you know what. He's now a clutch receiver for the Eskimos making big catches on a regular basis. As Rammer said it took Fantuz a year and a half to find his game and he was playing a helluva lot more than Nicholson has to date. Fantuz started 9 regular season and 2 playoff games in his rookie year.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:did you not see the game nicholson played in????? he had like 6 passes sent his way, all of them catchable and he manage to hold on to one of them. not a great prospect if you ask me.
It only took Kamau Peterson 4 CFL stops and 6 seasons before he discovered his hands were useful for more than wiping his you know what. He's now a clutch receiver for the Eskimos making big catches on a regular basis. As Rammer said it took Fantuz a year and a half to find his game and he was playing a helluva lot more than Nicholson has to date. Fantuz started 9 regular season and 2 playoff games in his rookie year.
Nicolson got open repeatedly in the first preseason game in Saskatchewan. He had 8 passes thrown his way and he caught the final 3. Only Coleman had more catches. For a guy who had a great camp by most people's opinions, including Wally's, he probably deserves another shot.

Great non-import receivers do not just appear on the scene unless they're named Jason Clermont. Paris Jackson, Kamau Peterson, Andy Fantuz, Andre Talbot, Brett Ralph, Arjai Franklin and Chris Bauman are some of the best homegrown receivers in the CFL, but they all took time to develop, and most of them went through periods when they dropped too many passes.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:

Not sure that you would have him cut, Fantuz didn't exactly light it up in his early days, even last season he had difficulty, yet he would be my 4th NI receiver right now. Some guys just need to get use to the game conditions in order to get the feel...[/quote]

No, not saying he should be cut, just saying that he isnt really a viable option at this point. If we had a better record i could see him getting some more time on the field, but at 4-4 when every down counts i dont think you'll see him out there.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E