Top Ten CFL Players that were Snubbed for Awards

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of the Olympics as well as our recent threads about CFL officiating, I think it’s time for another list. This topic is definitely original as I don’t think it’s ever been discussed extensively.

In certain sports such as gymnastics, figure skating, synchronized swimming, diving, and to a lesser extent, boxing, the winner is not determined by who wins the race or scores the most goals but instead, the winner is made by an arbitrary committee called the judges. And in such cases, there’s always some controversy as to whether one agrees with the judges scores. The best example in recent history must the 2002 Winter Olympics in pairs figure skating, when Sale/Pelletier was originally chosen to win the Silver Medal instead the Gold that was given to a Russian couple and that erupted a huge scandal. After it was determined there was some corruption, Sale/Pelletier was given a second pair of gold medals. Justice was also eventually served when Sylvie Frechette was given a duplicate gold medal after a judging error. But in the 1984 summer games, Canadian boxer Shawn O’Sullivan dominated his American opponent Frank Tate and forced Tate to take two standing eight counts. But when it came to a decision, Tate won a unanimous decision for the gold.

In other leagues, I’m sure the same thing happens as well. I stated several times before that I was furious about Markus Naslund not being selected as the 2002 MVP All-star game. The CFL is definitely no exception.

There’s already several threads about on-field officiating, so I’m not going to bring that up. But there’s no thread about CFL individual awards and possible controversy. The CFL awards are determined by the Football Reports of Canada. I acknowledge that winning CFL awards may not fall in the same kind of category as Olympic awards when decided by a committee. But that said, CFL awards should at least acknowledge possible controversy. From my knowledge, there are three kinds of individual awards in the CFL that is determined by a group of judges:

1. Season individual awards (including nominations)
2. Grey Cup individual awards (MVP and Top Canadian)
3. Selected as a CFL All-star

There must be winners that you disagree with. I will list my top 10 decision disagreements. Obviously, my recollections are mostly about the Lions, so naturally I will mention more examples that involve them. But I’ll list some non-Lions that I definitely remember.

TOP TEN CFL PLAYERS THAT WERE SNUBBED FOR CFL AWARDS

10. Ned Armour for 1985 GC Offence MVP :hypno:
The 1985 GC Offence MVP was given to Roy Dewalt who three for 394 yards and 3 TD’s. That was good, but one thing that was not noted that Dewalt only completed half of his passes at 14-28. That said, perhaps Ned Armour’s three catches for 151 yards and two touchdowns was more worthy of offence MVP honours.

9. Jeremaine Copeland for 2002 GC MVP :???:
Anthony Calvillo was awarded the GC MVP despite completing only about a third of his passes at 11 of 31. I would have awarded to Jeremaine Copeland with his two touchdowns.

8. Derrell Mitchell for 1998 East Division MOP Nominee :thdn:
In the 1998 season, Derrell Mitchell caught a then-record 160 receptions for 2000 yards, which is third for total pass receiving yardage in a season. However, the East Division MOP nomination was given to Mike Pringle.

7. Great special teams players prior to 1999 :no:
Prior to 1999, there was no individual award prior to 1999 when the John Argo Special Teams Award was introduced. So in that sense, great special teams players were snubbed with an individual award.

6. Al Brenner as 1972 Most Outstanding Defensive Player for the East Division :wag:
In 1972, Al Brenner of Hamilton set the record for most interceptions in a season with 15. But the East Division nomination for the Most Outstanding Defensive Player was given to Jim Stillwagon of Toronto.

5. Kent Austin as the 1992 MOP :bang:
With all the media attention to Doug Flutie after he moved to Calgary, it may have overshadowed Kent Austin’s great performance in 1992 who had better passing statistics than Flutie. In 1992, Austin had 459 of 770 for 6225 yards, 35 touchdowns, and 30 interceptions for a 59.6 percentage. That 6225 passing yards and 459 completions is still second highest for most passing in a season. But perhaps because of all the media coverage, the West Division nomination for MOP was still given to Doug Flutie, despite his passing statistics in 1992 was slightly worse than Austin at 396-688 for 5945, 32 touchdowns, 30 interceptions for 57.6 percentage.

4. Matt Clark for 1991 West Division MOC Nominee :bawl:
In his rookie 1991 season, Canadian Matt Clark had nine 100+ receiving yard games and 1530 yards, which is highest in his rookie year. The rookie award nomination was awarded to his teammate Jon Volpe, but Clark was eligible for the West Division MOC nomination – but that was given to Edmonton’s Blake Marshall.

3. Greg Mohns for Coach of the Year in 1999 :x
While there is usually a correlation between the coach that won the Grey Cup and who is selected as coach of the year, there are several exceptions every season and 1999 was one of them. In the NHL, coach of the year is often awarded to one who improves his team from his previous year, and I’m shocked why it wasn’t applied to Mohns. In 1999, the Greg Mohns and his Lions improved drastically from 1998 where they had 9-9 for 18 points for a third place West Division, to a 13-5 for 26 points and finishing the West for the first time in 12 years. The winner went to Charlie Taaffe but Alouettes essentially had to the same team with 25 and 24 points respectively.

2. Lui Passaglia for the 1994 GC MVP :sigh:
I have mentioned that several times already, so I won’t go into too much detail now. I’m shocked that they would give the dubious honour to someone on the losing team, Karl Anthony. In that game, early in the game Anthony got an interception after a short pass hit the back of Ray Alexander and bounced into his arms, and in the second quarter he received a lateral pass on an interception for a TD. But Anthony was absent when McManus completed his three long completions on the second half. That was a huge snub not only by the Football Reporters of Canada, but to CBC as well.

Now for the biggest CFL award snub…..

1. Cory Philpot for 1995 West Division MOP Nominee :shock:
In 1995, Philpot won the Eddie James Memorial Trophy when he led the West Division with rushing yards but more importantly, he set a then-record of 22 TD’s in a single season. Despite all that, the West Division nominee for MOP went to Calgary’s Dave Sapunjis. In 1995, Sapunjis had 111 catches for 1655 yards and 12 touchdowns for 1995 MOC which was good, but he did not break any season records by any means. I’d say Philpot with his record breaking season had a better chance of winning MOP against the eventual winner, Mike Pringle.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

meh, joe smith got hosed last year in favor of kerry joseph, that was pretty weak.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Mervyn Fernandez should be in the CFL hall of fame.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Mervyn Fernandez should be in the CFL hall of fame.
I don't think so, or at least not before several others who may be more worthy such as David Williams, as discussed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15729
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

When it comes to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, there's bound to be some snubs. I'll only consider those who have retired prior to 2000 as those who retired recently will be considered in due time.

I've mentioned several times before there's a tradeoff between two factors:

1. Time in the League (tenure)
2. Performance in the League

Obviously, one who served in the CFL for many years and consistently performed well is a show in. But if one or the other factor is lacking, then exactly how is the tradeoff?

I'll give you what I consider to be rather ironic and it's the fact that those who were inducted earlier obviously get an advantage because they form the baseline and standard for future inductees. So if another player performed just as well or better, then do they automatically get inducted by default?

Here's a good example. Let's take Joe Kapp and his statistics:

1476 completions in 2709 attempts for 22,725 yards and 136 touchdowns. Two CFL all-stars, but no individual awards.

Now, taking that 22,725 yards, there are several other quarterbacks that passed for more yardage but have not been inducted and they had at least one award

Tracy Ham (2 GC, 1 MOP, 1 GC MVP, 40,543 yards)
Kent Austin (2 GC, 1 GC MVP Offence, 36,030 yards)
Tom Burguess (2 GC, 1 GC MVP Offence, 30,308 yards)
Roy Dewalt (1 GC, 1 GC MVP Offence, 24,147 yards)
Danny Barrett (23,419 yards)
Mike Kerrigan (1 GC, 1 GC MVP Offence, 21,714 yards - slightly less than Kapp)

So by default, should all six QB's also be inducted?

Lineman
Miles Goren (5 division all-stars, 321 games played)

Many of you want Mervyn Fernandez, but with all due respect, I think these three receivers should be inducted first:

Don Narcisse (75 receiving TD's, 12,366 yards)
David Williams (78 receiving TD's, 1 MOP)
Earl Winfield (75 receiving TD's)
祝你龍年行大運。
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Merv is one of the top 50 CFL players of all time.
With all due respect to your love of David Williams....he was more a product of his QB specifically Matt Dunigan. Having seen him play for the Bombers that season, he certainly didn't force defences into specific coverages, double teams and changing their game plans the way that #24 did.

All the receivers listed should be in the HOF, but not at the expense of Fernandez....whom I put in the same category as Milt Stegall and Brian Kelly.

It's Miles Gorrell, not Goren.....biggest guy I have ever met.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Robbie
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:With all due respect to your love of David Williams....he was more a product of his QB specifically Matt Dunigan.
There's often talk about famous QB-Receives tandems. And the fact that Williams coincidentally followed Dunigan from BC to Toronto to Winnipeg established some sort of tandem, although just like Allen with his so many years, there isn't a single favourite receiver.
All the receivers listed should be in the HOF, but not at the expense of Fernandez....whom I put in the same category as Milt Stegall and Brian Kelly.
I would respect him more if he had a few more years in his tenure. Five years is good, but usually not enough to induct him to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. And as I said earlier, the fact that he was signed but then released in 1994 was a black mark. If he continued to finish that season with the Grey Cup, that would have been fabulous and I'd want him inducted right away.
It's Miles Gorrell, not Goren.....biggest guy I have ever met.
Okay.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I'll grant you this though. Mervyn Fernandez was the runner-up to the Most Outstanding Rookie in 1982, which was given to unknown Ottawa QB Chris Isaac. Isaac finished 1982 with 204 completions in 402 passes for 3,408 yards. But with his Rough Riders at 5-11 and he only essentially completed have his passes should have allowed Fernandez with his 1,046 receiving yards with MOR.
祝你龍年行大運。
nelson95
Legend

Ham should be in the HOF soon

Narcisse and winfield as well
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Let's take Joe Kapp and his statistics:

1476 completions in 2709 attempts for 22,725 yards and 136 touchdowns. Two CFL all-stars, but no individual awards.

Now, taking that 22,725 yards, there are several other quarterbacks that passed for more yardage but have not been inducted and they had at least one award

Tracy Ham (2 GC, 1 MOP, 1 GC MVP, 40,543 yards)
Kent Austin (2 GC, 1 GC MVP Offence, 36,030 yards)
Tom Burguess (2 GC, 1 GC MVP Offence, 30,308 yards)
Roy Dewalt (1 GC, 1 GC MVP Offence, 24,147 yards)
Danny Barrett (23,419 yards)
Mike Kerrigan (1 GC, 1 GC MVP Offence, 21,714 yards - slightly less than Kapp)

So by default, should all six QB's also be inducted?
You can't really compare stats from different eras. Those QBs mostly played in an era when a 5000yd passing season was not unusual. That was unheard of in Kapp's time. Having said that, Ham will probably get the nod eventually, and maybe Austin as well. I don't know if the league uses any specific criteria, but I think it's fair to ask, "was this player one of, if not the best at his position for an extended period of time?" No way you can say that for all six you've listed, if for no other reason than they were mostly contemporaries in a small league :lol:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:[I don't know if the league uses any specific criteria, but I think it's fair to ask, "was this player one of, if not the best at his position for an extended period of time?"
That's a fair point. But then it becomes rather subjective - what is considered an extended period of time? Two, three, four years?
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In his 25 years, Lui was never selected for the Tom Pate Memorial Award.
祝你龍年行大運。