Does the visiting team get a share of the gate?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I know that in the NFL the gate is split 60/40 and the home team gets 100% of the luxury box revenue. How does it work in the CFL, NHL, NBA, MLB?
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

great question. ive been wondering this myself
2012 Season Ticket Holder
No Ka Oi
Starter

The CFL used to have a Gate Equalization Plan, which was brought in to sooth the Eastern teams who were frantic the Lions would dominate the league with Empire Stadium's massive 30,000+ capacity. That Plan was abandoned in the 80's and now I believe each team keeps 100% of their home gate receipts.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As No Ka Oi said there used to be a gate equalization fund which was dropped in the 80s. As far as I know CFL visiting teams do not get a cut at all. The home team reaps the gate with of course considerations as per their respective stadium lease agreements and/or municipal considerations. Their landlords as well as local goverment may skim some coin from each ticket.

The other exception for home teams are the playoff games. Unless the home team purchases the rights from the CFL playoff games are property of the league CFL with the league collecting all revenue and covering all expenses for both the home and visiting teams. When the home team purchases the rights as the Lions have in recent years they inherit things such as all travel costs for the visiting team, officials, officials wages and possibly the league bonuses paid to the winning and losing teams.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Ravi
Legend

No Ka Oi wrote:The CFL used to have a Gate Equalization Plan, which was brought in to sooth the Eastern teams who were frantic the Lions would dominate the league with Empire Stadium's massive 30,000+ capacity. That Plan was abandoned in the 80's and now I believe each team keeps 100% of their home gate receipts.
The Gate Equalization Plan was dropped prior to the 1991 season when Bruce McNall, Wayne Gretzky and John Candy bought the Argos. For the record, when the Argos and Montreal were drawing 45k+ in the mid to late 1970s, western teams like the Lions sure weren't complaining about gate equalization. I suspect that the Lions got more out of that plan than they put in while they were playing at old Empire. Once they moved into B.C. Place, I do imagine that other teams in both the east and west benefited from the Lions' improved attendance.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Ravi wrote:
No Ka Oi wrote:The CFL used to have a Gate Equalization Plan, which was brought in to sooth the Eastern teams who were frantic the Lions would dominate the league with Empire Stadium's massive 30,000+ capacity. That Plan was abandoned in the 80's and now I believe each team keeps 100% of their home gate receipts.
The Gate Equalization Plan was dropped prior to the 1991 season when Bruce McNall, Wayne Gretzky and John Candy bought the Argos. For the record, when the Argos and Montreal were drawing 45k+ in the mid to late 1970s, western teams like the Lions sure weren't complaining about gate equalization. I suspect that the Lions got more out of that plan than they put in while they were playing at old Empire. Once they moved into B.C. Place, I do imagine that other teams in both the east and west benefited from the Lions' improved attendance.
I don't think the Leos ever benefitted much from gate equalization. For the first 20 years of their existence until the Big Owe was built Empire would've been at worst the 2nd or 3rd biggest stadium in the league. I can't find any info to indicate how the CNE was configured i.e. if it started out in 1959 at 45000. The Autostade was slightly larger that Empire but I don't know if the Als ever came remotely close to filling it. Commonwealth didn't open until 1978. I suspect most moneys the Argos and Als might've contributed to gate equalization in the mid to late 70s bypassed BC's coffers to help out the rest of the clubs most of whom would've had capacities capped around 20000. Clarke Stadium was 20000. Taylor Field didn't build their upper deck until the late 70s. McMahon has had renovations over the years to increase capacity to where it is today. I'm not sure about Winnipeg, Ottawa and Hamilton.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.