Why is Mervyn Fernadez not in the CFL Hall of Fame?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Swervin Mervyn made the TSN 50 greatest CFL players list of a few years ago but I think he was the only one on that list that was not a hall of famer.
bbang
Starter

He didn't play long enough.
"My job is to kick your ass " - Wally Buono
Tighthead
Legend

He was kind of flashy.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

bbang wrote:He didn't play long enough.
Is there a minimum number of games a player must have appeared or played in to become eligible for the Hall?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think Warren Moon played 5 seasons then went to NFL, just the same as Fernandez. And Moon was a back up for his first year.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think perhaps its possible that mervyn tainted himself last time he was here as far as hall of fame selecters might be concerned.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
No Ka Oi
Starter

Well, actually Moon played six seasons in Edm, then had 17 NFL teams bidding for his services. At the time, he signed for the biggest contract in the history of the NFL, which was fully guaranteed, a rarity in the NFL.

Merv played five seasons for the Lions, then left for the NFL. He apparantly came back for the '94 season, so that makes six seasons also. Merv was spectacular in his first season, and our wise G.M. of the day, Bobby Ackles, signed him to a 4-yr contract extention while still in his rookie season. :yes:

As far as awards go, Merv probably has more League and All-Star awards than Moon. Warren had a good career in the CFL, but he didn't put up spectacular numbers. Moon was named a Western All-Star only once in his six-yr career, in 1983, the same season he won League All-Star and MOP honours.
nelson95
Legend

The yellow jacket goes better with pants
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:He was kind of flashy.
Nicely played. :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

For those of you that weren't around for the Merv Fernandez era, there are a couple of spectacular clips on bclions.com (the BC Lions Top 10 Greatest Plays Of All-Time).

My favorite Merv moment I can recall like it was yesterday. Swervin' Mervyn was a rookie and was returning punts(!) for the Leos at a sun-drenched Empire Stadium. He fielded the punt, then juked and jived his way through half the Eskimos special teams on his way to the end-zone. The only thing missing was the marching band. The whole stadium erupted in a mass celebration, I am sure the cheers could be heard clear across Boundary Road.

click here, scroll down to "Honorable Mention" Mervyn Fernandez 74-yard punt return

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:For those of you that weren't around for the Merv Fernandez era, there are a couple of spectacular clips on bclions.com (the BC Lions Top 10 Greatest Plays Of All-Time).

My favorite Merv moment I can recall like it was yesterday. Swervin' Mervyn was a rookie and was returning punts(!) for the Leos at a sun-drenched Empire Stadium. He fielded the punt, then juked and jived his way through half the Eskimos special teams on his way to the end-zone. The only thing missing was the marching band. The whole stadium erupted in a mass celebration, I am sure the cheers could be heard clear across Boundary Road.

click here, scroll down to "Honorable Mention" Mervyn Fernandez 74-yard punt return

DH 8)
Or you could go directly here......

http://www.bclions.com/media/videoBC?id=1651

Didn't Merv also punt one game and had a booming punt"?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Just having two all-star selections (1984, 1985) along with a Most Outstanding Player award by itself is usually not enough to get an induction into the Hall of Fame. As some have said, he serve enough time. And the fact that Fernandez was released by the Lions after he returned to the CFL in 1994 didn't help much at all. I think Fernandez deservedly got an induction into the BC Lions Wall of Fame, but perhaps not into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

I know that some of you will think that I'm playing Devil's Advocate. Why do all of us remember and think about Mervyn Fernandez when perhaps instead, we should give some thought about another player who perhaps should be inducted into the Football Hall of Fame as well or instead - David Williams.

David Williams also won a Most Outstanding Player (1988), had all-star seasons (1988, 1993), won a Grey Cup (1991), and played more full seasons with eight (1988 - 1995). At least from a league perspectively, David Williams should not be forgotten. If we all remember Doug Flutie despite the fact that he served only two seasons with the Lions and you all remember him when he went on as a Stampeder and then Argo then......shouldn't we also remember David Williams despite the fact that he only played two years (albeit with his MOP) and then his good contributions to the Argos and Blue Bombers?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。