Leos/Evil Empire Post-Game Thoughts!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Area51
All Star

Was Pottinger hurt during the game? I could have sworn he was in street clothes during the 2nd H. I guess that would explain why the coaches started using Jamal Johnson - - it would take the necessity of an injury to get their set-in-stone defensive rotation to make adjustments.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Area51 wrote:Was Pottinger hurt during the game? I could have sworn he was in street clothes during the 2nd H. I guess that would explain why the coaches started using Jamal Johnson - - it would take the necessity of an injury to get their set-in-stone defensive rotation to make adjustments.
Pottinger started the game at outside linebacker with Glatt and Floyd but I think he was hurt around the end of the first quarter. That's why we saw more of Jamall Johnson.
David
Team Captain

* Pottinger had a hamstring problem, as did Clarence Coleman who was hobbling around with his leg heavily taped. As a result, our receiving depth was really challenged with Paris being our only true deep threat (which made the decision to go deep time after time a head scratcher). Wow. No Geroy Simon, no Cory Rodgers, and an injured Clarence Coleman.

* Dean Valli's back locked up before the game as a result of his hip flexor injury, so kudos to Lorne Plante for doing a good job at Guard. Overall, I thought our pass protection was decent; we scorched the Esks by picking up their blitz a couple of times last night, but I thought our quarterbacks were rushed most of the night.

* I still chuckle at some off-season posts that wanted to trade or cut Ian Smart. And I read it more than once! The guy continually gives the team great field position and an emotional lift with tremendous returns (166 yards on 5 kick returns last night) and seems more sure-handed this season (fewer fumbles).

* Wally on TEAM1040 this morning, called Stefan Logan "dangerous" and likes the fact he can bounce outside as it now means the D can't just defend one part of the field. His criteria for his starting running back is "1)dependable, 2) hits the hole hard, and 3) productive on first down." He said there were way too many 2nd and longs in Edmonton. Although he also said he's not ready to make a decision on the running backs, nothing in the interview led me to conclude that Joe has nothing to worry about.

* I hope Stefan's performance doesn't spell the end of Joe Smith, but I'll reiterate what I wrote in another post: I'll live with the consequences of Stefan occasionally getting stuffed at the line but is a constant threat to rip one off for 50-60 yards and change the complexion of the game vs a guy who'll get us the tough yards but whose maximum gain on the night will be 15-20 yards. For tough yards and extra blocking we have Lyle Green, Rolly Lumbala, and Alexis Bwenge.

* No secret here that I am a big fan of JJ, but I fully endorsed the decision to insert Buck after that pick - which could have been as disasterous as the one in Edmonton that turned the last game. He had Stefan Logan wide open in the flat but instead locked in on the receiver in double coverage in the end-zone. Wally said he was given specific directions on the 5 yard line and didn't follow them. I thought Buck did a good job of running through all his reads and moving the club, especially late in the 4th quarter which was crucial.

* Just one question: where were the rollouts for Jarious that were there for Buck? :???:
SammyGreene wrote:It’s great having the extra 30 minutes to get to the stadium for 7:30 starts but it can be a killer when you are bringing young kids to the game — never mind trying to catch the last ferry back to the Island. Walking out of the stadium at 11 pm is crazy.
Not sure if it was the late finish but I am simply amazed at the number of people who head to the exits with 4 or 5 minutes to go with the outcome still in doubt. It happened in the previous game against Montreal too that also went down to the wire. And we sit among season ticket holders!

* But do you remember when you were a kid, home games started at 8:00pm? :lol: I agree, and it frustrates the hell out of me when I see people heading for the exits early but last night there was 5:00 or 6:00 minutes left on the clock last night yet the game was already 3 hours old! That's especially tough on the more casual fan in the sauna that is BC Place, not to mention people that have to catch ferries or get home for babysitters etc. Did you notice that when the Riders were down 30-4, NO ONE had left their seat?!?

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Big Time
Champion

I guess I'm going to differ with nearly everyone's opinion because I thought last night's game was absolutely painful to watch. It was two extremely sloppy teams making mistake after mistake with no real flow. The BC offense looked terrible and if it weren't for the great field position they were getting from turnovers and special teams, they could have easily been blown out. Banks was absolutely torched throughout the first game. It wasn't so much that he was just getting beat, it was how easy the Esks were making it look. On the first TD it looked like Banks was just jogging as he watched the receiver go by him.

The 7:30pm start was killer and should not be done again. It made a tedious game even worse because of the infernal delays and "injuries". I use quotation marks because Macchoochoo teams are notorious for having players fall down limp whenever the Lions get any momentum. Watching a game until 11pm is a test of anyone's patience.

The play calling was questionable again as they didn't even try a running play until the 2nd quarter.

I have no problem with pulling JJ but BP wasn't any different IMO. They were both utterly average and I'm having a hard time understanding why after every time BP takes a snap, certain fans call for him to be the starter. I can't even remember the last time BP won us a game and I don't count last night because it was defense and special teams that was the difference last night. BP's only good drive was aided by an 45 yards of unsportsmanlike penalties and was capped by an end zone reception.

Stefan Logan and Jason Clermont were the bright spots last night.

All in all, this team is hard to get a read on. They show flashes of dominance and then follow it up with long stretches of mediocre or apathetic play. We all know they have the ability to win but they have yet to play a full 60 minutes. I'm glad they go the win but this team remains a work in progress.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:* Pottinger had a hamstring problem, as did Clarence Coleman who was hobbling around with his leg heavily taped. As a result, our receiving depth was really challenged with Paris being our only true deep threat (which made the decision to go deep time after time a head scratcher). Wow. No Geroy Simon, no Cory Rodgers, and an injured Clarence Coleman.

* Dean Valli's back locked up before the game as a result of his hip flexor injury, so kudos to Lorne Plante for doing a good job at Guard. Overall, I thought our pass protection was decent; we scorched the Esks by picking up their blitz a couple of times last night, but I thought our quarterbacks were rushed most of the night.

* I still chuckle at some off-season posts that wanted to trade or cut Ian Smart. And I read it more than once! The guy continually gives the team great field position and an emotional lift with tremendous returns (166 yards on 5 kick returns last night) and seems more sure-handed this season (fewer fumbles).

* Wally on TEAM1040 this morning, called Stefan Logan "dangerous" and likes the fact he can bounce outside as it now means the D can't just defend one part of the field. His criteria for his starting running back is "1)dependable, 2) hits the hole hard, and 3) productive on first down." He said there were way too many 2nd and longs in Edmonton. Although he also said he's not ready to make a decision on the running backs, nothing in the interview led me to conclude that Joe has nothing to worry about.

* I hope Stefan's performance doesn't spell the end of Joe Smith, but I'll reiterate what I wrote in another post: I'll live with the consequences of Stefan occasionally getting stuffed at the line but is a constant threat to rip one off for 50-60 yards and change the complexion of the game vs a guy who'll get us the tough yards but whose maximum gain on the night will be 15-20 yards. For tough yards and extra blocking we have Lyle Green, Rolly Lumbala, and Alexis Bwenge.

* No secret here that I am a big fan of JJ, but I fully endorsed the decision to insert Buck after that pick - which could have been as disasterous as the one in Edmonton that turned the last game. He had Stefan Logan wide open in the flat but instead locked in on the receiver in double coverage in the end-zone. Wally said he was given specific directions on the 5 yard line and didn't follow them. I thought Buck did a good job of running through all his reads and moving the club, especially late in the 4th quarter which was crucial.

* Just one question: where were the rollouts for Jarious that were there for Buck? :???:
SammyGreene wrote:It’s great having the extra 30 minutes to get to the stadium for 7:30 starts but it can be a killer when you are bringing young kids to the game — never mind trying to catch the last ferry back to the Island. Walking out of the stadium at 11 pm is crazy.
Not sure if it was the late finish but I am simply amazed at the number of people who head to the exits with 4 or 5 minutes to go with the outcome still in doubt. It happened in the previous game against Montreal too that also went down to the wire. And we sit among season ticket holders!

* But do you remember when you were a kid, home games started at 8:00pm? :lol: I agree, and it frustrates the hell out of me when I see people heading for the exits early but last night there was 5:00 or 6:00 minutes left on the clock last night yet the game was already 3 hours old! That's especially tough on the more casual fan in the sauna that is BC Place, not to mention people that have to catch ferries or get home for babysitters etc. Did you notice that when the Riders were down 30-4, NO ONE had left their seat?!?

DH 8)
Now I'm ticked off David...I thought our defensive coaches finally had the vision to realize that Jamal Johnson could be a tremendous asset to our defense an now I find out the only reason he was out there was due to injury.

It was the same for getting Lyle Green into games earlier this season. We were very successful with the two back set or having Green line up as a tight end or even as a receiver but it was due to injuries within games to Rodgers and Geroy. I thought last night that we went two back set and tight end sets because we saw some advantages to going multi-formational and if the only reason we did it was due to Coleman's hamstring acting up and go ace back exclusively in our next game I'm going to be major ticked and no one here will need to guess who will be on the receiving end. :wink:

I thought Plante played marvelous, considering his inexperience and offensive line is one of the toughest places to play without game experience...it's so complex there compared to most positions.

I sure noticed, like you, that Buck got a lot of plays that involved him rolling out or misdirection play action whereas we had Jarious stuck in the pocket throwing all the time when he was in there. Makes one really wonder.....for sure because not only would the rollouts get him outside the pocket but they also help force him to go underneath more.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Tighthead
Legend

I think JJ on a rollout causes more fear for the defense than BP, simply because he is the stronger run threat. Both QBs are suited for the rollout however - no matter who is playing, we should see more rollout.

I would also like more play action but when you run the ball twice in the first half it doesn't really set it up.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I was surprised Ian Smart had the better game of all the teams kick returners. Teams almost seem scared of kicking to Jackson so to see Smart bust off big runs was :beauty:

I enjoyed the result of the game (Lions WIN!) but still feel concerned about much of what I saw. As already noted by others, I really hope the bye is used to recuperate and re-establish the Lions as a team on all three phases.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:* Pottinger had a hamstring problem, as did Clarence Coleman who was hobbling around with his leg heavily taped. As a result, our receiving depth was really challenged with Paris being our only true deep threat (which made the decision to go deep time after time a head scratcher). Wow. No Geroy Simon, no Cory Rodgers, and an injured Clarence Coleman.

DH 8)
You have confused me with this line, the double negative on purpose or by accident?

Can't see Wally dealing away Smith, either by trade or outright releasing him....but if Logan grades out well on his blocking (which IR a couple of whiffs on, no matter if the TEAM was gushing about that aspect of Logan as well), one of the above has to happen.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:The one thing I find frustrating about Jackson is how he struggles to find the right touch on different throws. I was in Edmonton for the game last week. Twice in the first half receivers had their man beaten by a good 5 yards on deep patterns and Jackson overthrew them by another 5 yards or more. Both would've been easy TDs. He did that again last night with Paris Jackson in the first half. Then on the Shabazz pick he tried the finesse soft toss to Green. Shabazz made an amazing play to climb the ladder and stretch his arm as far as he could for the one handed grab. But that "changeup" gave Shabazz just enough time to close and make the big play.
IMO that isn't going to change in JJ's arsenal package, the soft touch pass just isn't his strength. He is like a simplistic robotic arm version of the $6M dollar man. I just wish that $2M version of his legs would get used more often.
Rammer
Team Captain

On a positive recap, the halftime show was the best Mascot Soccer game I have witnessed over the years. UBC Thunderbird showed up to play from the opening KO with a two touch goal, getting his own assist (and yes that is possible in this game). He then knocked in a three more (although the I will wait for the official stats to see if he ended up with an assist as one was punched in close to the GL by his teammate), plus he ran back a couple of defensive gems, limiting Winger from getting a break away (although Winger was smart and took the dive in the box trying to draw a penalty shot). The final goal was made by the Vancouver Giants mascot and assisted by you guessed it UBC T-bird. A final replay should be on the highlight reel of Leo, making like an OL pushing the scrum downfield, the wrecking crew would have been proud of that instinctive run.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

not that it mattered that much but what happened to the pre game pyro?
2012 Season Ticket Holder
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMO the two week break is the time to convert Logan into a pass receiver. As I recall, Pinball Clements started out as a KR and backup RB but in order to get of the field full time he had to learn how to run patterns and catch the ball more.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Great summary, Blitz. The Lions won, and everybody got to go home happy, especially me because I caught the final pass of the game after Dante Marsh intercepted it and threw the ball to me in the crowd.
Wow!

Something stellar in that "B.C.FAN"

Some sort of magic must have passed hands that made lead into gold in our exchange yesterday, or do you think it just coincidence...

Anyway nothing can diminish the excitement you must to have felt.

My enthusiasm and joy are truly yours.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:You have confused me with this line, the double negative on purpose or by accident?

Can't see Wally dealing away Smith, either by trade or outright releasing him....but if Logan grades out well on his blocking (which IR a couple of whiffs on, no matter if the TEAM was gushing about that aspect of Logan as well), one of the above has to happen.
I probably didn't phrase that as well as I could have. What I meant was Wally was, as expected, very guarded in the interview about which way he's going with his starting running back. But by heaping praise on his young tailback and telling Bob Marjanovich that he didn't get production from the position in Edmonton, that "there were way too many 2nd and longs" is hardly a ringing endorsement for Joe Smith.

Wally was also effusive in his praise of Stefan's blocking, saying "the more he does to improve (in the area of blocking, as he was never asked to do this in college), the more productive he'll be."

Please don't read into this that Wally will be cutting or trading Joe in the bye week because he never said or even suggested this. Ideally this team would put the ball in the air a little less and run a little more - with a two back set of Smith and Logan. But Wally is a stubborn guy and if he says (as he has) that this team isn't set up to go with two import backs, he's not likely to change his mind. He's going to play the guy who's making the most of playing chances, making the next two games very interesting....

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
Rammer wrote:You have confused me with this line, the double negative on purpose or by accident?

I probably didn't phrase that as well as I could have. What I meant was Wally was, as expected, very guarded in the interview about which way he's going with his starting running back. But by heaping praise on his young tailback and telling Bob Marjanovich that he didn't get production from the position in Edmonton, that "there were way too many 2nd and longs" is hardly a ringing endorsement for Joe Smith.

Wally was also effusive in his praise of Stefan's blocking, saying "the more he does to improve (in the area of blocking, as he was never asked to do this in college), the more productive he'll be."

Please don't read into this that Wally will be cutting or trading Joe in the bye week because he never said or even suggested this. Ideally this team would put the ball in the air a little less and run a little more - with a two back set of Smith and Logan. But Wally is a stubborn guy and if he says (as he has) that this team isn't set up to go with two import backs, he's not likely to change his mind. He's going to play the guy who's making the most of playing chances, making the next two games very interesting....DH 8)[/quote]

Unfortunately it looks that way. I think Wally will keep Smith around until the date he has to guarantee his contract for the remainder of the season and see how Logan goes for the next couple of games. Jarious will also start next game but Wally wanted to send him a message, as much about Jarious getting mad about the play call on the previous series as much as the interception. I actually believe the interceptecause occurred because Jarious was upset about the package sent in and he wasn't focused.

However, while some posters complain about Jarious lack of a soft touch on some passes they also don't give him credit for making throws out htere that his teamates say "95 percent of quarterbacks couldn't make. His abiliity to fight off a defender to make the throw on Clermont's touchdown pass was impressive, he gunned some throws in there that no onther quarterback could do. Opposition players have said they fear Jackson running because he is such a load...why we don't rollhim out more (we did last year) is beyond me...especially after seeing us give Buck some rollouts when he was in there.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)