Matt Dominguez

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

Just caught bits and pieces on the radio here in Saskatoon. Sounds like Matt's knee injury is another serious one. Last injury, he said he would have to consider retirement if suffering another serious knee injury. Not good news for the Riders although it could help me in the long run.

It's even harder being a Lion's fan here this year. Lots of arrogance. I do think I am winning the battle though. I keep telling everyone that it doesn't matter --- win or lose --- I will continue to back my Lions. I will not give up until after the Grey Cup. Even then, only until next June!!! :lol:
xon100
Starter

I hear you with the arrogance...I deal with Sask on a daily basis.

If he does retire due to injury it would be a blow to everyone.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MD reminds me a lot of Tony Simmons, big, fast receiver capable of dominating a game, but never quite gets the chance to really shine due to successive season ending injuries.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:MD reminds me a lot of Tony Simmons, big, fast receiver capable of dominating a game, but never quite gets the chance to really shine due to successive season ending injuries.
Simmons even had more potential IMO, he was a burner and MD was fast but not scary fast like Simmons. Oh how I would have loved to see TS play a few years with the Lions, he told me he ran a 4.18 40 when he was younger, wow.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Vern Halen
Champion

This is a real loss, not only to the Riders, but to the CFL. Matt was such a great ambassador for the Riders, the province (he lived here year round) and the CFL.

A total class act both on and off the field. Should he choose to retire (which seems likely), he will be missed as Miller said he is a great leader. He hinted that a coaching position or some position with the Riders organization might be possible. :cr:

Let's hope so - Matt Dominguez is one of the good guys - never engaged in trash talk or anything negative.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is his current injury to the same leg or the other ?
Vern Halen
Champion

Same one he had reconstructive on during the off-season, I believe.
Rammer
Team Captain

Vern Halen wrote:This is a real loss, not only to the Riders, but to the CFL. Matt was such a great ambassador for the Riders, the province (he lived here year round) and the CFL.

A total class act both on and off the field. Should he choose to retire (which seems likely), he will be missed as Miller said he is a great leader. He hinted that a coaching position or some position with the Riders organization might be possible. :cr:

Let's hope so - Matt Dominguez is one of the good guys - never engaged in trash talk or anything negative.
My favourite non Lion CFL player, he is a top three receiver when healthy, lets hope this isn't the last for him in the CFL.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ditto on that.

I put in him in the same class as Jason Tucker. An excellent athlete and all round nice guy.

And just for the record. One of the most insulting things that I ever heard was about "How arrogant us Lion's Fans were" from certain quarters of Riderdom. I always thought it was a deplorably bad rap and bad form from those doing the labelling. I think we should be able to refrain from following suit. Let us focus instead on the real Rider fans like Vern who come to visit this board with good information and cheer and forget those who cannot be graceful in success.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Vern Halen wrote:Same one he had reconstructive on during the off-season, I believe.
That's not good news.
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

Sir Purrcival wrote: And just for the record. One of the most insulting things that I ever heard was about "How arrogant us Lion's Fans were" from certain quarters of Riderdom. I always thought it was a deplorably bad rap and bad form from those doing the labelling. I think we should be able to refrain from following suit. Let us focus instead on the real Rider fans like Vern who come to visit this board with good information and cheer and forget those who cannot be graceful in success.
I agree with you for the most part. However, I live just north of Saskatoon and I get almost daily phone calls bragging about the Riders and telling me the Lions suck (in not that nice of terms). I tell these people that I am happy the Riders are having a good year, and I will continue to cheer for the Lions. When the Lions were at the top, I was told how they cheat, how dirty they were, etc., etc. This is the type of stuff I have been hearing everywhere for well over 20 years.

For the record, you are absolutely right. Fans like Vern and I have seen others here who love FOOTBALL and are very sportsmanlike and classy in their cheering are great. These guys make it fun to discuss football. I know they are out there and there are more of them than the others, it's just that the other type of fans tend to be louder and stand out more. That's the best way I can explain it.

By the way, my husband is not even a football fan, and he can be one of the obnoxious ones. I'm not just trying to be mean by labellling Rider fans. He drives me crazy because he won't even watch usually and when he does all he talks about is how bad the Lions are and how they are so dirty etc.
Vern Halen
Champion

I think every fan base contains "fans" and fans.

Fans (without the quotes) are the majority of people on fan boards like this one who like to discuss and dissect and postulate, cheer heard for their team, even if they're down by 10 in the 4th quarter, toss solutions back and forth the next day to problems both real and perceived and get to play armchair quarterback. These are the good ones.

"Fans" are the people you see at the games who are so drunk they can't stand up, the ones trash talking (in a bad way, not good natured ribbing) fans of other teams who would DARE show up in THEIR stadium in enemy colors, when IMHO, the visitors are the BIGGER fans (without the quotes) of their team, and the 'fans" are the ones who type things with a keyboard while hiding behind a psuedonym that they would never say in person to the person they're typing at.

It's too bad, but every team has both types of fans.

I used to live in Maple Ridge for a couple years in the late 90's and got to take in a Riders/Lions game at BC Place, I rolled the dice and decided to wear my jersey to the game. I took a lot of fun ribbing from Lions fans as I went with a Lions ST holder and was wearing green in the Lions' Den, but it was all in good fun. After the game, however, I was accosted by a group of "fans" on the way to the Skytrain they were getting mad because I was ignoring them and just walking away - Vancouver's finest rolled up after about 45 seconds... got a little dicey - I'm 6'1" and 260 but I don't know how many Lions "fans" it would have taken to kick my a$$, but I knew how many they were gonna use...

I just chalked up the experience to fans and "fans" - I just ignored the "fans" as not being representative of the BC Lions fanbase and still had a great time at the game. It takes all kinds to make a world, I like to say.

Celebrate the fans and try and put up with the "fans". We have a lot of people jumping on the Rider bandwagon right now - wait til we lose a few - the cockiness will drop by the wayside I'm sure, as will a few "fans".
Vern Halen
Champion

Sorry to hijack the thread - we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.
Rammer
Team Captain

Vern Halen wrote:I think every fan base contains "fans" and fans.

Fans (without the quotes) are the majority of people on fan boards like this one who like to discuss and dissect and postulate, cheer heard for their team, even if they're down by 10 in the 4th quarter, toss solutions back and forth the next day to problems both real and perceived and get to play armchair quarterback. These are the good ones.

"Fans" are the people you see at the games who are so drunk they can't stand up, the ones trash talking (in a bad way, not good natured ribbing) fans of other teams who would DARE show up in THEIR stadium in enemy colors, when IMHO, the visitors are the BIGGER fans (without the quotes) of their team, and the 'fans" are the ones who type things with a keyboard while hiding behind a psuedonym that they would never say in person to the person they're typing at.

I used to live in Maple Ridge for a couple years in the late 90's and got to take in a Riders/Lions game at BC Place, I rolled the dice and decided to wear my jersey to the game. I took a lot of fun ribbing from Lions fans as I went with a Lions ST holder and was wearing green in the Lions' Den, but it was all in good fun. After the game, however, I was accosted by a group of "fans" on the way to the Skytrain they were getting mad because I was ignoring them and just walking away - Vancouver's finest rolled up after about 45 seconds... got a little dicey - I'm 6'1" and 260 but I don't know how many Lions "fans" it would have taken to kick my a$$, but I knew how many they were gonna use...

I just chalked up the experience to fans and "fans" - I just ignored the "fans" as not being representative of the BC Lions fanbase and still had a great time at the game. It takes all kinds to make a world, I like to say.

Celebrate the fans and try and put up with the "fans". We have a lot of people jumping on the Rider bandwagon right now - wait til we lose a few - the cockiness will drop by the wayside I'm sure, as will a few "fans".
Great post, and unfortunately oh so true. CFL fans had better look after CFL fans.
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

Rammer wrote:
Vern Halen wrote:I think every fan base contains "fans" and fans.

Great post, and unfortunately oh so true. CFL fans had better look after CFL fans.
I agree Rammer, Vern definitely had a valid post.

Vern I wholeheartedly agree with you. The only statement I take offense to is the 'fan' hiding behind a keyboard using a pseudonym. My name is Debi Pederson, I live in Osler, SK. I was born in Burnaby B.C. and am a 3rd generation Lions Fan in spite of the fact that I have lived in Saskatchewan since 1974. I love debating football, strategies, team strengths and weaknesses with fans. I apologize if I offended you with my statements, but please be assured that I am only referring to "fans" --- who seem to be in abundance now. My mother often talks about being hit over the head with a newspaper in Empire Stadium in the '60's by a Roughrider "fan". My last game at Mosaic, I thoroughly enjoyed the banter with the fans until one Rider "fan" looked me straight in the face and then stepped (hard) on my foot. My nine year old daughter was rather upset that someone would do that.

Friends (or shall I say friendly rivals)? :wink: :beer: :roar: