Hope the Lions are watching Mtl@SSK

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

SSK is doing a great job of minimizing the MTL defense. The front line for MTL sure does seem susceptible to the draw play. Their front four (or more) pin their ears back and come at you, and come fast. This will make it hard for any complicated passing patterns to develop.

On the flip side, the defence has to disrupt AC's timing patterns. Which can mean lots of man coverage in bump while the front line HAS to apply pressure. A rotation on the front line is going to be mandatory for the Lions as they have to keep the bodies fresh up there.

This is a good game for some film on both teams, but most importantly the Als.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If the Lions secondary can cover the Als receivers they should be able to sack Calvillo. He has no mobility whatsoever.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This was a game with lots of lead changes. The Riders won but MTL was in part to blame. Dumb penalties helping/extending drives. I think we're in for a hungry Al's Team here next Friday.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:This was a game with lots of lead changes. The Riders won but MTL was in part to blame. Dumb penalties helping/extending drives. I think we're in for a hungry Al's Team here next Friday.
Plus, why go with an empty return off the KO. That cost them field position and ultimately the go ahead TD. That ranks up there with Barker and then again Mathew's going for the two points to win games back when.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
notahomer wrote:This was a game with lots of lead changes. The Riders won but MTL was in part to blame. Dumb penalties helping/extending drives. I think we're in for a hungry Al's Team here next Friday.
Plus, why go with an empty return off the KO. That cost them field position and ultimately the go ahead TD. That ranks up there with Barker and then again Mathew's going for the two points to win games back when.
The empty return was the turning point of the game, and it likely stems from Trestman's lack of experience with the Canadian game. There was no need for the Riders to try an onside kick with 2:30 left. Instead of preparing for a normal return and trying to drive the ball to eat up some time on the clock, the Als started on their own 11 yard line where they were in desperate need of a first down to avoid setting up the Riders for a go-ahead score.

After this loss, the Als will be demoralized and exhausted. Teams playing the second game of a cross-country road trip don't usually play well.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: ...
After this loss, the Als will be demoralized and exhausted. Teams playing the second game of a cross-country road trip don't usually play well.
Are the AL's heading home (I'm guessing yes)? I know teams do stick out East when they have back to back road games in different Eastern Cities but that type of strategy would seem worthless to me in any road trip involving a second game in Vancouver. I do hope all those air miles have a negative impact upon them (besides their playing at 10 PM their time right?).
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

It was mentioned on the TSN broadcast that the Als would be staying out West for the game on Friday, I just forget whether (or if) they said Regina or Vancouver.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

They're staying in Regina.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Western teams now 7-0 against the East with the Eskimos looking to continue the trend tomorrow.

Despite the miserable start for the Bombers, they are only 4 points out of first like the Lions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: The empty return was the turning point of the game, and it likely stems from Trestman's lack of experience with the Canadian game.
What made it even worse was that the return guy went to knees when he caught the ball. Wonder what would have happened if the Saskatchewan players just stood around and didn't touch him ? :yes:
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: The empty return was the turning point of the game, and it likely stems from Trestman's lack of experience with the Canadian game.
What made it even worse was that the return guy went to knees when he caught the ball. Wonder what would have happened if the Saskatchewan players just stood around and didn't touch him ? :yes:
I couldn't believe the turn of events toward the end of that game either TheLionKing. So let me get this straight. You don't have ANY returners back there, then the one guy who runs it down takes a knee?? Like, he's trying to lose field position AND kill the clock?!?

And you can't tell me the Dominguez caught that ball in the endzone. :bang: That was a horse*bleep* call. Either he didn't have possession or the Rider defender came up with it. No way they can call that a TD. That was the second "TSN Turning Point." :sigh:

Sorry if I sound fired up but a 3-1 record for the Riders is a hell of a lot better for us than 4-0. Not only that, it would have sold more tickets if Montreal had been the hot team coming in here (at 3-1 not 2-2).

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think the return guy was trying to stop the clock. The problem was you can't stop the clock in the field of play unless you are touched by the opponent.
Disturber
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:If the Lions secondary can cover the Als receivers they should be able to sack Calvillo. He has no mobility whatsoever.
:whs:
Go Lions!
LFITQ
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I think the return guy was trying to stop the clock. The problem was you can't stop the clock in the field of play unless you are touched by the opponent.
Actually if the ball carrier is making no attempt to move the ball forward, the refs can call it dead as well. That is why we aren't seeing many of those situations on kicks where the returner is standing around with the ball flopping on the ground waiting for the cover guys to step within the 5 yard halo.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
joesports
All Star

I agree that the call in the end zone was bogus. But the rules do state that on a simultaneous catch the ball goes to the offence. IMHO, Domingeuz did not have control over the ball and the defender is the one who came up with the ball.

Either way, Rider fans will continue to shoot their mouths off about how the refs either don't know what they are doing or they made the right call.

It seemed that Montreal kept shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly when they were winning the game.

I hope we don't do the same.