Let's get 60,000 for Bob Ackles night July 18

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

firstdown45

WEST UPPER END ZONE JUST OPENED
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

firstdown45 wrote:WEST UPPER END ZONE JUST OPENED
:popcorn:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I haven't yet heard Jim Mullin's comments on CKNW, and I have never been an attendance nabob like *cough* some *cough*, but I must admit that I was very surprised by the 31,000 number when I heard it. Very surprised. On the Thursday before this particular Friday game I had expected to hear a number comfortably north of 40K by now. My anecdotal recollection of pre-game attendance expectations and the actual announced attendance in recent years suggests to me that walk-up sales have been almost negligible.

Example: Radio says 32K tix sold and Lions brass anticipates crowd of 35K. Real announced crowd count 33K.

Self thinks to self: Hmmm. An entire phone booth worth of fans "walked up" tonight? That's it?
Ravi
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:I haven't yet heard Jim Mullin's comments on CKNW, and I have never been an attendance nabob like *cough* some *cough*, but I must admit that I was very surprised by the 31,000 number when I heard it. Very surprised. On the Thursday before this particular Friday game I had expected to hear a number comfortably north of 40K by now. My anecdotal recollection of pre-game attendance expectations and the actual announced attendance in recent years suggests to me that walk-up sales have been almost negligible.

Example: Radio says 32K tix sold and Lions brass anticipates crowd of 35K. Real announced crowd count 33K.

Self thinks to self: Hmmm. An entire phone booth worth of fans "walked up" tonight? That's it?
Following what has been written about attendance on this board in the past, a 31k ticket count two days before the game likely means a crowd in the 33k-34k range.
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:I haven't yet heard Jim Mullin's comments on CKNW, and I have never been an attendance nabob like *cough* some *cough*, but I must admit that I was very surprised by the 31,000 number when I heard it. Very surprised. On the Thursday before this particular Friday game I had expected to hear a number comfortably north of 40K by now. My anecdotal recollection of pre-game attendance expectations and the actual announced attendance in recent years suggests to me that walk-up sales have been almost negligible.

Following what has been written about attendance on this board in the past, a 31k ticket count two days before the game likely means a crowd in the 33k-34k range.
This one may be a little different, in that it could have a larger walk up crowd than normal, as the extra ST holders seemed to eliminate that 8K walk up crowd. With Ackles public ceremony, we may find some that decide by game day to offer their respects to the man.
Entertainment value = an all time low
firstdown45

The SNOWBALL effect has started! They're selling tickets now in Upper Section 48! Let's keep this thing rolling!

Reminds me of the Western Final.

Where are you sitting?

Let's get 50,000 and make Bob proud! I know we can do and we will do it.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Nevermind... if yer gonna take the point away from my post, might as well just remove the whole damn thing.
Last edited by Soundy on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Bruce Allen's Reality Check on NW radio this afternoon blasted Vancouver sports fans for not buying enough tickets for Friday's game. He went on to point out all the sporting events and teams that Vancouver has lost because Vancouver is a one sport town.

Also the early morning (4:30 am) DJ on Classic Rock 101 phoned a 7-11 to ask about tickets for the game. When the lady at the 7-11 said that she was not going to the game, the DJ asked her out on a date to see the game with him. She turned him down. He then, after several tries because she didn't understand what he was saying, got her to shout "Go Lions Go". It was pretty funny.
Rammer
Team Captain

Great to know that we have a line on where the Lions are selling tickets. But just to let you know, another thread really wasn't necessary, this could have well been placed in the 60K thread and the site would have been the better for it.....so here it goes.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ravi
Legend

According to Matt Sekeres in the Globe and Mail, 33k tickets have been sold so far for Friday's game. Here is a link to a terrific article by Mr. Sekeres: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... lobeSports
firstdown45

This Lions team will NEVER beat 40,000 for a regular season game
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

firstdown45 wrote:This Lions team will NEVER beat 40,000 for a regular season game
They might in the fall if the playoff race heats up, but 34,000 is still an excellent crowd for mid-July. I'd be happy but surprised to see much more than that.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:According to Matt Sekeres in the Globe and Mail, 33k tickets have been sold so far for Friday's game. Here is a link to a terrific article by Mr. Sekeres: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... lobeSports
Sekeres wrote:The ceremony is scheduled to last 20 minutes and will include speeches from Buono, Lions owner David Braley, CFL commissioner Mark Cohon, former kicker Lui Passaglia and Dennis Skulsky, a friend and media executive. It will begin with a video montage of Ackles's career and life away from football and end with a video tribute.

In between, there will be bag pipers and marching Mounties, a rendition of the team's fight song, Roar You Lions Roar, and Ackles's induction into the team's ring of honour.
No less than five speeches, two videos, bag pipers, marchers, RYLR, and the induction... it seems all of that could likely stretch well past the twenty minute mark. This is not a complaint by any means — only an observation — and I will indeed be there for every minute of it, even if it means sitting through a full stretch of OT.
Sekeres wrote:During the game, the music of Frank Sinatra, Ackles's favourite, will be heard over the B.C. Place Stadium sound system.
I guess that must be why we've heard "NY, NY" as the last song on the PA — after the player of the game announcements as everyone leaves the stadium — after every game in the last few seasons. I think we'll be hearing it again tomorrow night.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

firstdown45 wrote:This Lions team will NEVER beat 40,000 for a regular season game
May as well jump off the bandwagon then.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

That's probably a good thing. According to all your other threads that would most assuredly lead to more beer kegs exploding, more elevators getting stuck, the roof would cave in and the only NOISE would be the gurgling of water as the Dome slides into False Creek.....just before the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.