Well Jarious or Buck

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who starts Buck or Jarious?

Jarious
25%
Buck
61%
Both
14%

Total votes: 56
Rammer
Team Captain

Lots of intangibles being discussed tonight after the game on the radio about who should be starting....

My thoughts have always been in BP's corner and for two reasons I will remain in that camp for now...

1) BP had to start the game and didn't really succeed until the running game established itself, and 2) He seemed to limit himself from taking off, which is an intangible that he does better than JJ.

In JJ's corner, 1) he seemed to have the magic going with our number 1 receiver (Geroy Simon, nice one handed catch in the endzone :yes:) 2) you have a solid QB who can punish defenders with his runs.

That said, neither has made themselves a clear cut starter above the other, so perhaps we go the route of BP starting and JJ cleaning up in the second half for a fews games to see if that formation works, or one QB steps up to take this team by the horns.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think the QB I was least impressed by on either team was DD. I thought Sankey and Nealy had their good spots but this thread is about our 1&2.

I really thought Buck started slow too but even then it was a key drop over the middle (Coleman?) on an easy conversion. Recievers need to catch those balls to give their QB some flow. It was nice to see Buck get some stuff going with JJ's #1 reciever. At halftime I was saying to my buddy "I don't know how BP isn't the starter" but JJ did enough. In fact, I'm not used to seeing JJ play as well as I thought he did but I'm still in the Buck-camp. Oh, I am I looking forward to the rematch in Cowtown.
Zarquon
Champion

Well I have to say Buck.

Jarius was mostly playing the 2nd and 3rd string guys and I think Buck had the better presence. As a case in point was the first TD by Geroy, It looked like Buck threw it to the open spot where it could be caught inbounds, Jarius on a similar play threw it outside to Paris and he could only catch it out of bounds.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wally said in the pre-game show he had a pretty good idea which way he was going and I think it was what we saw tonight.
I also believe both QBS already know that's the way it was likely going to play out.

Even JJ coming in for Buck in short yardage situations tonight was a good sneak preview of next Thursday.

But the leash will likely be shorter than any other time in the Wally era in B.C.
No Ka Oi
Starter

Buck started slowly, missing on a couple of throws, but after that offside by C. Rodgers they ended up 2nd and 12, and J. Smith got stuffed on a couple of runs, leaving them 2nd and long...then there was the Coleman drop that was right in his hands. Buck still ended up 13 of 17 with 2 td's and no picks with 184 yds. But J. Jackson had nearly comparable numbers with less playing time, albeit with...and against more 2nd stringers.

I think Jarius could become a tremendous QB with more playing experience, but I have to give the nod to Buck as the Lions No. 1 QB, today.
Rammer
Team Captain

No Ka Oi wrote:Buck started slowly, missing on a couple of throws, but after that offside by C. Rodgers they ended up 2nd and 12, and J. Smith got stuffed on a couple of runs, leaving them 2nd and long...then there was the Coleman drop that was right in his hands. Buck still ended up 13 of 17 with 2 td's and no picks with 184 yds. But J. Jackson had nearly comparable numbers with less playing time, albeit with...and against more 2nd stringers.

I think Jarius could become a tremendous QB with more playing experience, but I have to give the nod to Buck as the Lions No. 1 QB, today.
Jarious did seem to show some touch on his short passes, either because he was more comfortable in the pocket now, or he has worked hard on that weakness he showed last season. Have to love the arm that JJ has to fall back on though, although last season his line drive throws were knocked down on occasion by guys playing 10 yards off the receiver or more.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I thought all 7 QBs who got on the field made some good plays tonight. They got a lot of vanilla coverages and they made the best of it. I felt sorry that Zac Chamoion waited 5 minutes to get on the field while the Stamps drove downfield in the final quarter, but his two passes were both within inches of being big gains or TDs. He's going to be a winner.

The Lions have no clear-cut No. 1, and the players seem happy with both Buck and Jarious, so all Wally can do is name a starter for next week and see how it goes.
David
Team Captain

I really do like both guys and honestly, I am comfortable with either starting. However, if it's THAT close which I think we all can agree on, in fairness, you have to give the ball to Jarious - at least to start the season. It's really a respect thing. He carried this team on his back for most of last season. Now if Buck had even marginally outplayed him in the pre-season, then by all means, give the keys to Buck. But I don't think the incumbent should lose his job (and before I get flamed for that last comment, yes, Buck was higher on the depth chart to start last season, but due to injury was never really able to establish the Lions offense as "his." Jarious did).

Just my .02 cents.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:I really do like both guys and honestly, I am comfortable with either starting. However, if it's THAT close which I think we all can agree on, in fairness, you have to give the ball to Jarious - at least to start the season. It's really a respect thing. He carried this team on his back for most of last season. Now if Buck had even marginally outplayed him in the pre-season, then by all means, give the keys to Buck. But I don't think the incumbent should lose his job (and before I get flamed for that last comment, yes, Buck was higher on the depth chart to start last season, but due to injury was never really able to establish the Lions offense as "his." Jarious did).

Just my .02 cents.

DH 8)
I can see your point and in fact I ended up voting for JJ, but he is notorious for starting slow as a starter, perhaps he is better at taking the second half as his start, after he has time to see what the D's are doing, whereas BP improvises a tad better to make things work sooner as a starter.
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
David wrote:I really do like both guys and honestly, I am comfortable with either starting. However, if it's THAT close which I think we all can agree on, in fairness, you have to give the ball to Jarious - at least to start the season. It's really a respect thing. He carried this team on his back for most of last season. Now if Buck had even marginally outplayed him in the pre-season, then by all means, give the keys to Buck. But I don't think the incumbent should lose his job (and before I get flamed for that last comment, yes, Buck was higher on the depth chart to start last season, but due to injury was never really able to establish the Lions offense as "his." Jarious did).

Just my .02 cents.

DH 8)
I can see your point and in fact I ended up voting for JJ, but he is notorious for starting slow as a starter, perhaps he is better at taking the second half as his start, after he has time to see what the D's are doing, whereas BP improvises a tad better to make things work sooner as a starter.
I can't argue that point, but I do think that once a starter is chosen he has to be given some leeway to find his game and not have to look to the sidelines after two straight incompletions to see the other quarterback warming up.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Both Jarius Jackson and Buck Pierce played well tonight. Glad I'm not the one making the decision. Jackson has a much better touch on his passes this year. He's not throwing it on a rope tonight. In fairness to Buck, it's easier to come in the second half having had the opportunity to watch what the other team is doing for half the game.
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

BUCK PIERCE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Bosco
Team Captain

Wally & Co. have an interesting dilemma on their hands, one that I think will continue over the next few weeks. Obviously SOMEBODY has to be the starter, and Buck and JJ continue to make Buono's decision a difficult one.

This is a real toss up :juggle: but I also believe that JJ is better coming off the bench. So, for Week 1, give Buck the start.

Of course, all this is subject to change before Week 2. 8)
FirstDownLions
Rookie

Tough choice for Wally, but really an excellent position to be in. Nice to see Buck 100% again and to see Jarious is settling the nerves a little sooner on field. Both played well IMO. :beauty:
squishy35
Legend

Just my .02 cents.

DH 8)

I totally agree David. Starting JJ is probably the way the season starts, based largely on last years efforts and the fact that both QB's have performed pretty much equally at camp and in ex games this year.