any merit to this idea, re canadian QBs

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

maybe they should allow for each team to add a 4th QB if Canadian, allowing for only 3 to be dressed per game. Also, perhaps, that 1 canadian qb should be exempt from the cap, but only if he is a 4th QB and paid under a certain amount

In other words, be allowed to add an extra player to the roster, without him counting against the cap, if he is a canadian QB, not paid too much, and there are 3 other QBs on the roster, regardless of which 3 QBs dress for each game.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Zarquon
Champion

I like the idea. When was the last time a Canadian QB started?
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Zarquon wrote:I like the idea. When was the last time a Canadian QB started?
Guilo Carravatta
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Guilo Carravatta
Only out of necessity though, Vavra may have been the last real hope for an NI QB. Although Plamer could have been, but wasn't given a peek at it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Guilo Carravatta
Didn't Hamilton have a Cdn QB start a game since GC's '95 outing in Baltimore? I want to say Larry Jusdanis but I'm not sure that's right.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
princetonfan
Rookie

I think Toronto had a N I qb.Brian Ah Yat, in the not too distant past
Tighthead
Legend

Bob Torrance started a game or two for the TiCats.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Ah Yat played for the Bombers from 99-01 before going to the Arena League.....I don't think he was a non import though.....if I recall he was Hawaiian....maybe Blitz could confirm.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:maybe they should allow for each team to add a 4th QB if Canadian, allowing for only 3 to be dressed per game. Also, perhaps, that 1 canadian qb should be exempt from the cap, but only if he is a 4th QB and paid under a certain amount

In other words, be allowed to add an extra player to the roster, without him counting against the cap, if he is a canadian QB, not paid too much, and there are 3 other QBs on the roster, regardless of which 3 QBs dress for each game.
Your suggestion re: a Canuck QB being exempt is irrelevant. Currently only the top 2 QB salaries count towards the cap. The 3rd stringer (3rd highest salary) currently is not counted against the cap.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Eric "Canadian Rifle" Guthrie was probably the last NI QB to get any significant action as a starter first with BC, then Saskatchewan. If memory serves me correctly Guthrie was the starter for the Riders for a couple of season in the mid-late 70s.

Brian Ah Yat was in import; native of Hawaii who played college at University of Montana.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:maybe they should allow for each team to add a 4th QB if Canadian, allowing for only 3 to be dressed per game. Also, perhaps, that 1 canadian qb should be exempt from the cap, but only if he is a 4th QB and paid under a certain amount

Your suggestion re: a Canuck QB being exempt is irrelevant. Currently only the top 2 QB salaries count towards the cap. The 3rd stringer (3rd highest salary) currently is not counted against the cap.
Thanks, I didnt realize that. However, would it still be valid to say that a 4th QB being canadian would not count against the roster limit??? Would that still make it worthwhile for teams to add a Canadian QB if they didnt have to delete someone else to make room for him??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:Thanks, I didnt realize that. However, would it still be valid to say that a 4th QB being canadian would not count against the roster limit??? Would that still make it worthwhile for teams to add a Canadian QB if they didnt have to delete someone else to make room for him??
Blitz might be a better one to answer this. Very few teams will carry a 4th QB on the PR . Buono generally doesn't unless injuries force his hand. A lot of the success in Wally's QB development comes from a willingness to give 2nd and 3rd stringers a bigger share of the reps. Therein may lie the problem with having a 4th QB. CIS QBs generally are considerably behind their NCAA peers in terms of development by the time they exit college. Shorter seasons, smaller coaching staffs, less opportunity to play the position prior to college are all factors in putting the CIS QB behind the competition. The guy coming out of an NCAA school has far more resources available to him to help accelerate his development thus is a far more polished prospect much more ready for fast-track development into hopefully a starting CFL QB. The average CIS QB will require more time and attention to than would the average NCAA QB coming out of college. Unfortunately with the abbreviated training camp and 2 game exhibition season there is precious little time to give that CIS player that extra time and attention he needs. Then once the regular season starts there's even less opportunity to do so. That's the crux of the problem for the coach. While developing a CIS QB into a CFL starter would be nice he's paid to win, period, and the 4th string QB is only one hit away from the active roster and two hits away from being the backup that the Head Coach's job relies on. The CFL coach has to go with the guy he perceives has the best chance of developing into a starter-calibre the fastest.
Tighthead
Legend

I may be in the very slim minority, but the idea of more Canadian QBs wouldn't up my interest in the league one bit, and I am not sure it would really be a boon to marketing.
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:I may be in the very slim minority, but the idea of more Canadian QBs wouldn't up my interest in the league one bit, and I am not sure it would really be a boon to marketing.
Pretty sure if there was a DF type NI QB, we would all be on board with him, however as Hambone points out, that isn't likely to happen for the reasons he listed, unless he comes out of a US program. Just think of all the benefits that an NCAA program allows for a QB, just playing against faster better coached defenses makes the transition to the CFL a smaller step.
Entertainment value = an all time low
lion24
Legend

Seems to me that the only Star calibre Canadian QB there has been is Russ Jackson?? It really is too bad there have not been any since as every other position has had many Canadian stars??
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP