'bad taste'

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Saw a quote (I'll paraphrase) from Wally made at todays Jackson signing press conference. Apparently watching the Patriots lose the Superbowl left WB with a 'bad taste in my mouth'. He didn't like watching a team have such a strong season but not have the emotion there when it counted.

I liked seeing this emotion/frustration from WB. Obviously (I'm not a mind reader but...) the many of the Lions and the Coaching Staff are more than a little peeved at how last season ended. Got the impression they're mad at themselves ( not the Riders).
ziggy
Legend

It would be good if they are mad at themselves , even better if they take it out on the Riders!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I was only 2 years old when the Dolphins pulled off their 'magical 72 season'. Apparently though, they had a very dominating 71 season as well that ended in a Superbowl defeat. That 'bad taste' is something that apparently helped them in their journey to winning the 72 Superbowl.

This is not an uncommon theme in football. I'm not so sure Holmgren is still coaching in Seattle without having a frustrating loss vs the Steelers. Then again that 'bad taste' sure didn't help the Buffalo Bills in their Superbowl losing streak. Regardless, I don't think there is going to be any gimmicks (mustaches etc....) until the Grey Cup is won. The Western Division of the CFL has gone through some big changes. EDM, CAL, SASK and BC have all made some dramatic moves. Buono's frustration with how the Patriots and Lions seasons played out (obviously he really only cares about BC's) is a good sign, IMHO.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I'm actually happy that the whimper that the Lions ended the 2007 season with is still on Wally's mind. He'll be all fired up come June.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good motivator for the upcoming season. :cr:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

You guys are all right by saying that it is a good sign that this "bad taste" is sticking in Wally's craw.

It proves that he cares more about winning championships than sellout crowds at the gates in sales, not that the latter is any less important than the former. Unfortunately for him, the players and all of us fans, we let a grand opportunity to repeat as Grey Cup Champions get away from us.

For Wally it might have added yet a new milestone to a stellar resume, as arguably greatest coach in the CFL after he decides to call it a career.

If it proves to motivate our team's return to challenge for the hardware this coming season, then this can only be viewed as nothing but a good thing.

Much will depend on whether we can stay relatively healthy long enough, to be the best team we can be when we get there again.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis