Jackson agrees to terms with Lions - CKNW

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

The BC Lions and quarterback Jarious Jackson have agreed to terms on a contract, CKNW radio in Vancouver reports.

The radio station went on to report it is a multi-year deal averaging almost $200,000 per season.

Jackson threw for 2553 yards with 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 2007. He also rushed for 265 yards and three touchdowns and eight fumbles.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Bosco
Team Captain

Good news! :beauty:

With Jackson locked up, that's one less issue Wally and Co. have to worry about.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Nice job by Wally and Jarious here. We now have two QB's who are combined making what Dickenson was making alone, freeing up money to allocate in other areas.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wonderful news, indeed. :rockin:

Jarious Jackson is at the head of the class in terms of team spirit and professionalism.

Add to that his physical talent, his experience, his intelligence, his leadership, and he is a bargain at the price.
Rammer
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Nice job by Wally and Jarious here. We now have two QB's who are combined making what Dickenson was making alone, freeing up money to allocate in other areas.
I would think that JC's and Bates contract made a bite into the DD 'freed up money', since the net savings now looks more like $200K.

What is being overlooked is Guidugli, his emergence (and size) prompted the initial decision of releasing DD to take place.

IMHO, JJ is a solid reliever, but BP is the one that had best stay healthy for the Lions to make a late season march.
Entertainment value = an all time low
joesports
All Star

Good to hear a deal's been reached.

Does this mean JJ is our defacto #1 QB? Or will it be decided in training camp? Or will the plan be to have a #1 and a #1a?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

joesports wrote:Good to hear a deal's been reached.

Does this mean JJ is our defacto #1 QB? Or will it be decided in training camp? Or will the plan be to have a #1 and a #1a?
I was just thinking about the dynamics of the situation.

It is evolving in the CFL that you cannot count on having your "starter" play all the games. You need QB 1 and QB 1a. As with many developments, Wally is usually ahead of the curve. In this present situation, I expect Wally feels he will need both Buck and Jarious to play as starters at different times during the year.

Someone will come out of TC as the "starter," but that is not carved in stone. If Buck and Jarious are healthy throughout the year, and if they play well, I expect they will both see lots of "starter" time. To a certain degree, I think CFL teams are going to have to go away from the concept of number one guy, and number two guy is way down the list.

Of course it depends on who your QBs are. With Buck and Jarious, they can both play. They can both lead the team. They are intelligent, and they are both future coaching material.

So, IMHO, they will be QB 1, and QB 1a, and the order can change.
Bosco
Team Captain

joesports wrote:
This is shaping up as an interesting training camp battle. As far as who will start, I think it will probably depend on the health of Buck Pierce, and who has the hot hand coming out of camp.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
OrangeShoes99 wrote:Nice job by Wally and Jarious here. We now have two QB's who are combined making what Dickenson was making alone, freeing up money to allocate in other areas.
I would think that JC's and Bates contract made a bite into the DD 'freed up money', since the net savings now looks more like $200K.

What is being overlooked is Guidugli, his emergence (and size) prompted the initial decision of releasing DD to take place.

IMHO, JJ is a solid reliever, but BP is the one that had best stay healthy for the Lions to make a late season march.
Yes, and that money not been "freed up" than Bates and JC may not have been able to be retained, thats what I meant. :) Never mind the pending extension of Joe Smith.

As far as Buck and Jarious, I see them both coming to camp and battling it out. Jarious has a slight edge in my mind. He has a stronger arm is more mobile, and from what we have seen more durable. May the best man win, and the other be supportive. Wally must see something in Guidugli, and given his track record for developing QB's, that's exciting too.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Great news! The competition at camp will be interesting.
No Ka Oi
Starter

Jarius's contract is being described as "averaging almost $200,000 per season", while Buck's contract was reported as "over $200,000 per season" plus an "over $100,000 signing bonus".

If these reports are accurate, do the Lions project Buck as the No. 1 QB with his higher salary and bonus?
MacNews
Team Captain

That's really good news..now we need to get Jackson to run more.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Wellcome back JJ :beauty:

I guess when DD agent suspected signing JJ was all done but the ink to dry, he agreed to terms with Calgary today.

Best news I've had since Kelly Bates was resigned!

Now to close the deal with Joe Smith. :cr:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Soundy
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
joesports wrote:Good to hear a deal's been reached.

I was just thinking about the dynamics of the situation.

It is evolving in the CFL that you cannot count on having your "starter" play all the games. You need QB 1 and QB 1a. As with many developments, Wally is usually ahead of the curve. In this present situation, I expect Wally feels he will need both Buck and Jarious to play as starters at different times during the year.

Someone will come out of TC as the "starter," but that is not carved in stone. If Buck and Jarious are healthy throughout the year, and if they play well, I expect they will both see lots of "starter" time. To a certain degree, I think CFL teams are going to have to go away from the concept of number one guy, and number two guy is way down the list.

Of course it depends on who your QBs are. With Buck and Jarious, they can both play. They can both lead the team. They are intelligent, and they are both future coaching material.

So, IMHO, they will be QB 1, and QB 1a, and the order can change.
It may be a bit weird to equate to hockey, but this was the position the Vancouver Giants found themselves in at the beginning of last year, with the incumbent Dustin Slade and the up-and-coming Tyson Sexsmith finding themselves as Goalies 1 and 1a, and were almost on a steady one-on-one-off alternating starter schedule... and it was working really well, until Slade rather unexpectedly decided to test the pro waters and left the team midseason.

Granted there are differences, as of course, one can only play in the CHL until age 20 at the most, and Slade was in his last year of junior hockey, but unfortunately his ego got in the way at the wrong time, he didn't like sharing the starter position... and missed out on the Memorial Cup.

One hopes if the Lions position Buck and JJ similarly, the egos don't get in the way.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
ziggy
Legend

Glad to see they signed him but I still think JJ will have a tough time being #1. He still seems to have trouble making the quick reads, but there is no doubt he is a good athlete and could become great QB once he consistently makes quick, sound decisions. At times this year though he seemed indecisive which may still be just a symptom of a lack of game time, or still getting used to the CFL( some adjust quicker than others)? He certainly has the credentials and seems to always do well in camp, but struggles a little in games. Maybe its just that he needs an offense developed more around his style?
I find Buck a little quicker on the reads, but maybe the DD style of offense was a better fit for him. As mentioned he may not be that durable so one way or another we can't put all our eggs in one basket. Together they make a good tandom and bring different strengths to the table, but I'm betting on Buck to be the starter. Hope the competition brings out the best in both of them