Globe and Mail: Kerry Joseph eyes NFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ilovetheriders
Starter

This is never going to happen but...

VANCOUVER — Kerry Joseph is upset that negotiations for a new contract with the Saskatchewan Roughriders did not proceed more quickly this off-season and is eyeing an opportunity in the National Football League.

The quarterback, who took a $125,000 pay cut last year, recognizes he is primed to cash in after a 2007 season that included a Grey Cup championship and the Canadian Football League's most outstanding player award.

"I want to get my salary up to par with the other [quarterbacks], especially with the season I had," Joseph said from his off-season home in Orlando.

This week, Joseph booked a tryout with the New Orleans Saints and said he would exercise his option to escape to the NFL if he felt he had a chance to play. He is heading into the final year of his contract with the Riders and is scheduled to earn $250,000 in 2008.

Joseph, a native Louisianan, will workout for the Saints on Feb. 13. The deadline for CFL players to sign in the NFL is Feb. 15.

"Saskatchewan is not moving too fast on getting a new deal done," Joseph said. "I'm trying not to get frustrated on that point."

Joseph earned a base salary of $225,000 last season and also achieved some bonuses.

He took the cut because the Roughriders were over the league's $4.05-million salary cap and had to chop roughly $600,000 before last season kicked off. Even with those trimmings, the Riders are likely to be over the cap once the CFL completes its financial audits later this year.

"I've had discussions with his agent and they will continue but not via the media," Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman said. "The thing that has to be factored in is that Kerry is under contract for next year. We're not talking about a lack of dialogue with someone who will be a free agent in a couple of weeks."

The CFL has yet to make salary information public, but it is believed that both Montreal Alouettes quarterback Anthony Calvillo and Calgary Stampeders quarterback Henry Burris made roughly $350,000 last season. Dave Dickenson was released by the B.C. Lions in November due to his $400,000 price tag.

Joseph said his discontent with the Riders is not the reason he is looking for NFL tryouts and that the Saints first made contact with his agent back in December. He admitted that the allure of the NFL is something he would have considered anyways, especially now that he is 34 years old and running out of time.

"I feel I can play at that level but it's got to be a good situation because I know I have a good situation in Canada," Joseph said. "The main thing is I want to get in front of them and throw the ball around. I feel I can make any throw on the field and show them my knowledge of the game."

Even with the workout, Joseph's chances of bolting south remain slim.

First, he would need a significant signing bonus to offset what he could earn in the CFL. If he attends training camp with the Saints and gets cut, his rights would automatically revert back to Saskatchewan and he would sacrifice roughly half of his CFL salary.

Second, few NFL teams carry expensive third-stringers, and because Joseph has five years of NFL service, his minimum salary would be roughly $600,000 U.S. At that freight, he would likely to need to make a team as a backup.

"Selfishly, we want Kerry back. But if Kerry chooses to pursue his NFL dream, it's something we will accept and understand," Tillman said. "We have [backup quarterbacks] Marcus Crandell, Darian Durant and Drew Tate and if the worst-case scenario happens, we'll go forward."
Rammer
Team Captain

Not going to happen, he is just sending a public message to the Riders camp, pay up or potentially lose him. He is grasping at his only bargaining chip, but since he neither has NFL QB experience and his minimum salary of $600K per due to his stint in the NFL as a safety, his chip is about to crumble.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Big Time
Champion

This is just a negotiating ploy. No way any NFL team is going to sign a 34 year old QB who has only had a handful of good seasons in the CFL. If Casey Printers coming off an MOP and Grey Cup appearance couldn't stick at 24 years old, Joseph stands no chance at 34. We'll unfortunately be seeing him with the Roughriders in 2008.
MacNews
Team Captain

If I'm Tillman I'd be laughing right now. Kerry's 2007 playoff stats stunk.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Have to agree with the other posters that it's nothing more than a negotiating ploy. Not many teams unless it's the Miami Dolphins that it's going to sign a 34 year old QB or free safety.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Kerry J is not in that good a position to play hardball. Tillman still has troubles under the Cap. Joseph is still under contract.

Joseph did take a pay cut last year, and did lead the Riders to the Grey Cup, so there is some obligation on the part of Tillman to give him lots of consideration.

I don't see KJ going to the NFL. Too old at 34. It is possible he could get picked up by a team that needs experienced depth, but not too likely.
No Ka Oi
Starter

The Globe reporter is a little short on facts, Cavillo is "believed to make $350k?" It is common knowledge and was reported by several sources that Cavillo has a rider in his contract whilch stipulates he will be one of the two highest paid QB's in the league. His salary is over $400k and is flexible upwards to match the average of the 1st and 2nd highest paid QB's...which was widely reported as $405k several seasons ago, when Ricky Ray signed his $460k (Including signing bonus) contract when he came back from the NFL. Does that writer really expect us to believe that a veteran QB like Cavillo is only making the same money as Burris, who has signed only one contract in his career for more than $150K?

Tillman is an idiot if he hasn't taken care of Joseph yet. He is spending too much time trying to grandstand against the Argos or doing recruiting for his almamater, Ole Miss. Nero fiddled while Rome burned, and the Riders will burn big time over this one.
Bosco
Team Captain

Big Time wrote: If Casey Printers coming off an MOP and Grey Cup appearance couldn't stick at 24 years old, Joseph stands no chance at 34. .
A different era...but didn't Dieter Brock get his shot with the LA Rams when he was 34 / 35?
ziggy
Legend

He's not that good, got to be a contract ploy.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The revered head coach walks out after winning the Grey Cup, two leading coaching candidates pull out of the running, the team is accused of violating the SMS and now the MOP quarterback says he's not happy and might leave. It's sure been an interesting offseason for Eric Tillman.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ploy or no, you know that there will be some that are not gonna look too kindly on a media message like this. Life just seems to keep being interesting in Rider Town.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

"I only have discussions and campaign through the media when it's beneficial to me and makes me look good,"
Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman said. "The thing that has to be factored in is that Kerry is under contract for next year. We're not talking about a lack of dialogue with someone who will be a free agent in a couple of weeks."

Fixed.
joesports
All Star

No way KJ has a chance in the NFL.....he's 34. He's missed his chance if there was ever going to be one.

Tillman should spend some time figuring out how to give Joseph a raise considering they did just win the Cup. Now the Riders are going to have to deal with a lot of players looking for a little more $ as recognition for the Cup win. Some are surely going to bolt, since the team is supposedly already up against the cap.

Wonder how Joseph's squawking is playing out on the prairies these days?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The revered head coach walks out after winning the Grey Cup, two leading coaching candidates pull out of the running, the team is accused of violating the SMS and now the MOP quarterback says he's not happy and might leave. It's sure been an interesting offseason for Eric Tillman.
I guess the football gods are calling in all the debts Tillman incurred to win the Grey Cup. He sold the farm, mortgaged the home, and put the kids into the coal mines. And now he has to pay.

It has not been an easy off-season for the struggling, poor, Little Red-Haired Pissant.
wildthing
All Star

Like most have said, I don't see him going anywhere. KJ already has 4-5? years as an NFL player so his base salary would be far to high for a most likely 3rd string QB. Age is a factor as well. I suspect once the Riders clear some salary KJ will get a restructured deal.