Chapdelaine Will Call the Plays as Receivers Coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Chapdelaine's full circle

Return-to-B.C. dream coming true for coach

Lowell Ullrich The Province

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The dour reality of unemployment brought out emotions ranging from hope to disbelief when Jacques Chapdelaine thought about the future with his better half.

Kim Chapdelaine took several contemplative walks with her husband in November after he was fired as offensive co-ordinator of the Edmonton Eskimos. He had job offers. But the place Chapdelaine really wanted to work had no openings, or so he thought, and surely the Lions wouldn't take him back after a year away.

"We had talked about relocating to a place in Canada where it's best for our family regardless of football. That place was Abbotsford," Chapdelaine said.

"When I closed my eyes and thought about the best fit for me, I kept thinking about B.C. My wife said, 'You're dreaming.' What's happened has been divine intervention."

It became reality when the former offensive co-ordinator of the Lions sat in the empty office of departed defensive signal caller Dave Ritchie and discussed his improbable return.

Coach Wally Buono will outline specifics of Chapdelaine's job at a news conference to introduce his coaching staff Thursday. Previously, The Province reported Chapdelaine would be named receivers coach.

Several players say they expect Chapdelaine will be flashing signals as he did in the past, however, and regardless of title it is clear he will have input into the offence.

Call it a marriage of convenience and necessity. Chapdelaine needed the Lions as much as the club needed him.

Eventually, it may well seem as if Chapdelaine never bolted for Edmonton days after he was offered a two-year contract as assistant head coach and assurances by the Esks he would be considered a candidate to eventually replace Danny Maciocia.

It may already seem as if Chapdelaine never took a shot at the Lions, when he said that among his reasons for taking the Edmonton job was the fact he wasn't brought in on some personnel matters, remarks he did not deny but claimed were taken out of context.

And it may someday feel as if he was never openly mocked by the Eskimos after he was fired in November.

"In a way, that was so funny. The day before a game you'd see Jacques rehearsing his hand signals," Esks quarterback Ricky Ray told the Edmonton Sun.

Chapdelaine said he is beyond feelings of betrayal or surprise over his firing, though he paused when asked if he was a scapegoat for the Esks' second straight non-playoff finish. He also accepted some blame for his failings.

"The theory of going [to Edmonton] was good; nothing ventured, nothing gained. The practicality of it wasn't quite as good. Edmonton was looking for [results] and when you go in with a two-year contract you think you have a two-year window. But it became clear it was a lot more immediate," he said.

"What I've learned is it's always good to go where people know you as a person, not on reputation. You have to be aware of the differences in culture when you join an organization, and I'm not sure if I adapted quickly enough."

Buono was stung hard by the loss of his offensive co-ordinator weeks after winning the 2006 Grey Cup, and the remarks that followed. But when his offence last year suffered sizable drops in first downs, passing yards, touchdowns and completion percentage, he found it easy to turn the other cheek.

"One of the reasons it was important to bring Jacques in was [that] I felt we need a strong influence in the throwing game," Buono said.

And so he's back, trying to put his career back where it was a year ago, looking to relocate his family in Abbotsford one more time.

Chapdelaine still wants to be a CFL head coach some day and still is a believer in the Lions offensive scheme, though opponents have defended it with increasing success, making him a human piñata in fan chat rooms.

But he hardly lost any passion for the Lions. Buono was in Hawaii and hadn't even formally tendered a new contract in December, but Chapdelaine had already flown to Vancouver and begun breaking down game film.

It may have been his only way to be sure he wasn't dreaming.

lullrich@png.canwest.com
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Press conference tomorrow about the coaching staff.

Several players say they expect Chapdelaine will be sending in signals. I wonder where they got that idea, or is it just wishful thinking? It is noteworthy to me how loyal some of the players seem to be to Chapdelaine.
"One of the reasons it was important to bring Jacques in was [that] I felt we need a strong influence in the throwing game," Buono said.
Wally does make the tough decisions. This would seem to indicate dissatisfaction with the results of the passing game under Dorazio and Kruck (and Baresi).
Ullrich: " ... his (Buono's) offence last year suffered sizable drops in first downs, passing yards, touchdowns and completion percentage ...

Chapdelaine still wants to be a CFL head coach some day and still is a believer in the Lions offensive scheme, though opponents have defended it with increasing success, making him a human piñata in fan chat rooms."
Interesting ...

Was Wally dissatisfied with the offensive production last year? It would seem so.

Does he think Chapdelaine will help improve the passing game? I guess.

Does Jacques send in the signals this year?

Will Jacques have some duties normally considered part of the OC's job?

"making him (Chapdelaine) a human piñata in fan chat rooms" -- Hello, Lowell. Nice to know you read the blogs on Lionbackers on occasion. :wink:

Jacques has had his critics and his defenders on Lionbackers. For sure, he has been much discussed here. Harsher criticism and fewer defenders (any?) on esksfans.com ...
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Can a leopard change his spots?.......I think not !!

IMHO, a horrible, horrible mistake at a time when the Lions have pretty well peaked talent wise (these things are cyclical)......what a friggin' waste !! :bang: :bang: :bang:
Lloyd
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Can a leopard change his spots?.......I think not !!

IMHO, a horrible, horrible mistake at a time when the Lions have pretty well peaked talent wise (these things are cyclical)......what a friggin' waste !! :bang: :bang: :bang:
Kind of harsh towards someone who's offence won us a GC. However you are entitiled to that opinion.

I am willing to give him a second chance. I would think that J. Jackson would be pleased considering some of the horrendous game plans Dorazio and Kruck handed him last year.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Press conference tomorrow about the coaching staff.

Several players say they expect Chapdelaine will be sending in signals. I wonder where they got that idea, or is it just wishful thinking? It is noteworthy to me how loyal some of the players seem to be to Chapdelaine.

Interesting ...

Was Wally dissatisfied with the offensive production last year? It would seem so.

Does he think Chapdelaine will help improve the passing game? I guess.

Does Jacques send in the signals this year?

Will Jacques have some duties normally considered part of the OC's job?

"making him (Chapdelaine) a human piñata in fan chat rooms" -- Hello, Lowell. Nice to know you read the blogs on Lionbackers on occasion. :wink:

Jacques has had his critics and his defenders on Lionbackers. For sure, he has been much discussed here. Harsher criticism and fewer defenders (any?) on esksfans.com ...

I think that most of the frustration of a Chapdelaine run offense was due to his seemingly total focus on a passing game....hello Edmonton, seemed to be in a similar pattern last season. Hopefully JC has figured out that the Lions have a decent runningback in Joe Smith, you know the guy that won the rushing crown in 07....

As for being a piñata, when will some bust it up and show us the candy we are expecting just isn't there. BTW, classify me in the not happy that JC is taking on more of an OC type role than just a receivers role.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Meh.... I'm more concerned about the defence. Benevides has huge shoes to fill .

Wally has a lot of confidence in him but I will be holding my breath hoping the defence doesn't miss a beat without Ritchie.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

So..what's the over/under on receiver concussions from hits off of slant patterns?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Loyalty should count for something, and that isn't what Chapdelaine showed the Lions a year ago last December.

So now he'll be the de facto OC (as was predicted in this "chat room"), and Kruck and Dorazio are told, "Thanks, we don't want you calling our offence anymore."

Jacques and his family are fine people, but what critics of the CFL used to harp on constantly was the turnover in players and coaches, with no loyalty shown to an organization. So what do we have here? "Oopsy, little mistake. So sorry, old chap. Spot of tea, what?"

If I'm an Eskimos fan, I'm pointing and laughing.
No Ka Oi
Starter

If I'm an Eskimos fan, I'm pointing and laughing...
I think Chaps will have a few hand signals for them also... :lol:
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

No Ka Oi wrote:
If I'm an Eskimos fan, I'm pointing and laughing...
I think Chaps will have a few hand signals for them also... :lol:
and hopefully he wont have to practice them :tease: :lol: 8)
2012 Season Ticket Holder
ziggy
Legend

I found his offence predictable and frankly never cared for him last time he was here. Also I have to question his commitment to the team. Was the problem last year with the OC or the lack of Buck and Dave?
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Can a leopard change his spots?.......I think not !!

I couldn’t agree more with your disgust of the total debacle Shi Zi M.

Utterly ghastly judgment which will be rewarded with the immanent destruction of moral of the coaching staff and fans. :thdn:
Solar Max wrote:Loyalty should count for something, and that isn't what Chapdelaine showed the Lions a year ago last December.

So now he'll be the de facto OC (as was predicted in this "chat room"), and Kruck and Dorazio are told, "Thanks, we don't want you calling our offence anymore."

If I'm an Eskimos fan, I'm pointing and laughing.
So much for the coach's loyalty to those who had to carry the ball while his prodigal son was chasing the heavenly ethers of success with the "Evil Empire"...

Wally reminds me of a dog that has been abused by his master but slinks back, tail between his legs forgivingly asking for another beating. :x
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Meh.... I'm more concerned about the defence. Benevides has huge shoes to fill .

Wally has a lot of confidence in him but I will be holding my breath hoping the defence doesn't miss a beat without Ritchie.
I agree Sammy.

I think the offence will be better with Chapdelaine's input. Defence and special teams are my main areas of concern. Benevides was arguably the best special teams coordinator in the league. The Lions lose something at both positions with him trying to step into Dave Ritchie's role as defensive coordinator.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

So, because Chapdelaine left for Edmonton last year in what he felt was a better opportunity to further his career at the time, he is not loyal? I don't quite get that one. If I recall he was promised great things by Edmonton, and his son was going to school there. Sure he made some comments when he left, comments I am sure he regrets, but lets not pile on the guy because he left for a chance to further his career.

Can a leopard change his spots? No, but coaches can, and they have to constantly to stay at the top of their field. Last years offense was nothing to write home about, despite the strong year by Joe Smith. Our passing game stunk for the most part, and did not make use of the talents of our QB's or our receivers.

So before a few of you jump off the bandwaggon and get put on the injured list this off-season, give the man a chance to come back and prove you wrong. Wally has forgiven and forgotten, the players seem happy with the move, and Dan Dorazio and Steve Kruck will be just fine folks.

The sky is not falling.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.