Miller takes the job as Roughriders' Head Coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

ROSSLEY AMONG TILLMAN'S OPTIONS

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

By Darrell Davis, Regina Leader-Post

If he were to be hired as the Saskatchewan Roughriders' head coach, Tom Rossley already has some experience with the CFL team.

"I just came up there last year,'' Rossley said Tuesday from Texas. "I was a guest coach at training camp. It was a fun time for me. They had great players and coaches; I was real proud of them going all the way and winning the Grey Cup. I wouldn't say I had anything to do with it, but I was proud to have been associated with them.''

Rossley is among the head-coaching candidates being considered by Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman, who has known Rossley since they were football neophytes (and roommates) with the CFL's Montreal Concordes in the early 1980s. Rossley coached Montreal's running backs and receivers while Tillman was the director of player personnel. In 1993, when he was the B.C. Lions' general manager, Tillman nearly hired Rossley.

"I offered him the head coaching job in B.C. before I offered it to Dave Ritchie,'' said Tillman. "He turned it down to stay at SMU.''

Rossley recalled that offer and how it subsequently led him back to Southern Methodist University, where he served as head coach from 1991-96.

"I actually accepted (Tillman's offer) for a day,'' said Rossley. "When I went back to my school, they made it too lucrative for me to leave.

"Eric's a great person and a good friend. We've known each other for quite a few years. I had not met Kent Austin before last year, but I knew of him. He's a real, sharp coach. I could see why other teams would want him.''

Austin, a former Riders quarterback, spent one season as Saskatchewan's head coach after replacing Danny Barrett, who Tillman didn't retain for an eighth season. In his rookie campaign as a head coach Austin led the Roughriders to the 2007 CFL championship before being wooed by the University of Mississippi to become its offensive co-ordinator. Austin accepted the offer from Ole Miss last week, leaving Tillman to seek a third head coach since becoming Saskatchewan's general manager in August, 2006.

Tillman has repeatedly said -- as when he signed fellow Ole Miss alumnus Austin -- he wants to hire a friend or someone he has worked with before. All of Tillman's leading candidates fit into those categories.

Calgary Stampeders associate head coach/offensive co-ordinator George Cortez, who spent 2006 as Saskatchewan's offensive line coach, is among the leading candidates to replace Austin. So are Roughriders offensive co-ordinator Ken Miller, St. Louis Rams quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier and Rossley. Tillman is just beginning his first-stage telephone interviews, he told the Leader-Post on Monday, and began the process with long-time Roughriders defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall.

"I haven't talked to Eric at all,'' Rossley said Tuesday afternoon.

Asked if he had enquired about the job, Rossley said he had "no comment.''

Asked if he were interested in becoming Saskatchewan's head coach, Rossley replied, "No comment.''

Rossley, 61, recently worked as offensive co-ordinator for the NFL's Green Bay Packers, a position he held from 2000-06 until being replaced when head coach Mike Sherman and most of the staff were dumped. He was sidelined in October, 2004, because he needed an angioplasty to clear a blocked artery.

Rossley apparently has still been getting paid by the Packers while he lives in Texas. Rossley has also been an assistant coach with the Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears and Kansas City Chiefs. Cortez, who was also on Montreal's staff in the early 1980s, was Rossley's quarterbacks coach in 1995-96 at SMU.
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Interesting article.

Way back when, Tillman had offered the Lions HC position to Tom Rossley, who flip flopped before staying with SMU. Dave Ritchie worked out very well for the Lions.

One kind of wonders where Tillman can keep finding good coaches, but the well does not seem to run dry. Joe PaoPao did not work out that well in Ottawa, but, for me, as a PaoPao fan, I wonder if he had enough talent there.

Cortez is no doubt due for a chance to be HC in the CFL.

Nussmeier must be rising fast in the coaching ranks.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tillman's interview plans take flight

Darrell Davis, The Leader-Post

Published: Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saskatchewan Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman has changed his plans.

He is no longer interviewing prospective head coaches via telephone and has instead ventured to the southern U.S., where he can meet with Tom Rossley and George Cortez, the leading candidates to replace Kent Austin as the CFL team's head coach.

"Everybody in the business is a moving target,'' Tillman said Friday. "With the Senior Bowl (being played Saturday in Mobile, Ala.) and travel, it's been difficult to set things up with everybody.''

Rossley and Cortez are long-time friends of Tillman's. Tillman has insisted he will hire someone he knows well or has worked with before.

Rossley, whose last coaching job ended in 2006 when he was dumped as the Green Bay Packers' offensive co-ordinator, worked with Tillman during the early 1980s with the CFL's Montreal Concordes. Rossley attended Saskatchewan's training camp in 2007 as a guest coach.

Cortez, who also worked for the Concordes, is currently the Calgary Stampeders' associate head coach and offensive co-ordinator. Cortez was Saskatchewan's offensive line coach in 2006.

Tillman, who left Regina on Friday, could also meet with Doug Nussmeier, Dave Ritchie, Richard Harris and Steve Buratto, the Toronto Argonauts' offensive co-ordinator and a former Roughriders assistant coach. Ritchie is the B.C. Lions' defensive co-ordinator and Harris is the Winnipeg Blue Bombers' defensive line coach.

Buratto wasn't among the candidates originally touted to replace Austin, who resigned as Saskatchewan's head coach 10 days ago to become offensive co-ordinator at the University of Mississippi.

Tillman needs to get permission before meeting Nussmeier, quarterbacks coach for the NFL's St. Louis Rams. Toronto defensive co-ordinator Kavis Reed had also interested Tillman, but the Argonauts apparently refused to let him discuss the job with Saskatchewan's GM. Tillman was travelling and couldn't confirm that.

"(Buratto) didn't apply for it,'' Argonauts head coach Rich Stubler told the Toronto Star. "They had asked, but they haven't talked to him, as far as I know. He's 62, so there aren't too many more chances to become a head coach.

"We denied them permission (to speak with Reed). We think he'll get another chance to be a head coach.''

Roughriders defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall is the lone Saskatchewan assistant to have discussed the job with Tillman so far, although assistant head coach Mike Gibson and offensive co-ordinator Ken Miller are also being considered.

Tillman won't put a deadline on his decision.

"Putting a time frame on this might prevent me from considering someone who should be considered,'' said Tillman. "That being said, I do want someone in place before free agency.''

Feb. 15 is the date when CFL players' contracts expire. Among the Roughriders' potential free agents are veteran defensive back Eddie Davis, wideout Matt Dominguez and linebacker Reggie Hunt.
Add Steve Buratto and Dave Ritchie to Tillman's interview list. Buratto did not apply for an interview. Kavis Reed was of interest to Tillman, but permission to speak to him was denied by the Argonauts, an unusual move.

Apparently, Tom Rossley and George Cortez are the leading candidates for the HC position with the Riders.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Seems like everytime there is Head Coach vacancy George Cortez's name always comes up. Thus far he's been a bride's maid. Why ?
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Seems like everytime there is Head Coach vacancy George Cortez's name always comes up. Thus far he's been a bride's maid. Why ?
It has occurred to me, and a question as well why Wally never rehired him?

Perhaps Blitz can enlighten us here?
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
No Ka Oi
Starter

You have to wonder about Cortez a bit. With his track record, you would think he is a shoe-in for a HC job somewhere. He was a Coordinator at a major NCAA program, then he gives all that up to be the O-line coach with the Riders? We know about the "personality issues" which seem to follow guys like Burrato and Chapdelaine around. There perhaps is something else about Cortez that we're not hearing about.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Head coach search evolves

Published: Monday, January 28, 2008

The search for the Saskatchewan Roughriders' head coach is changing every day.

With the loss of Tom Rossley, a leading candidate who signed Sunday with Texas A&M as the school's senior assistant and quarterbacks coach, and the addition of Toronto Argonauts offensive co-ordinator Steve Buratto, Saskatchewan's list of candidates is evolving.

Twelve days after Kent Austin resigned as the CFL team's head coach to become offensive co-ordinator at the University of Mississippi, his alma mater, Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman is continuing to interview potential replacements with new favourites constantly emerging.

Rossley rejoined Mike Sherman, the new boss at Texas A&M, who used to be the head coach for the Green Bay Packers when Sherman was their head coach.

Buratto was interviewed by Tillman during the weekend, as were Calgary Stampeders associate head coach/offensive co-ordinator George Cortez, Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive line coach Richard Harris and B.C. Lions defensive co-ordinator Dave Ritchie.

"Eric had a list of questions he's asking everybody,'' Buratto said Sunday. "We have never worked together before, but we have known each other off and on through different places.

"I wasn't in a position to apply for the job. For a while I didn't think I wanted to be a head coach again, but I would like to go back and get a better record than I ended with (after previous stints with the Calgary Stampeders and B.C. Lions). And I've never hidden the fact that my favourite place in Canada is Saskatchewan. I love the people and the fact that their football team is important to them.''

Buratto, 62, has twice been a Roughriders assistant coach and has CFL experience coaching offence and defence.

"There was no time frame put on this,'' Buratto said. "This decision is Eric's to make. It depends on his comfort level. It's not bothersome to me because I'm not unhappy in Toronto.''

Cortez and Roughriders offensive co-ordinator Ken Miller are now the leading candidates.

Cortez worked with Tillman on the Montreal Concordes' staff in the early 1980s. Miller, a low-profile contributor last season to Saskatchewan's offensive success, gained the respect of many players and is turning into a possible choice.

The Argonauts apparently asked Tillman to make a quick decision about Buratto. They also denied Tillman permission to speak with their defensive co-ordinator Kavis Reed.

Roughriders assistants Richie Hall, who has been interviewed, and Mike Gibson, who should be interviewed this week, seem to be longshots, along with Ritchie, Harris, St. Louis Rams quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier and former Oakland Raiders assistant coach Fred Biletnikoff.

Tillman initially was calling his candidates from the Roughriders' office. On Friday, Tillman travelled to the southern U.S. so he could get away from the day-to-day hassles and concentrate on the important task of replacing a head coach who led the Roughriders to a Grey Cup victory.
The status of candidates changes day by day.

Tom Rossley has signed with Texas A&M, with his old HC Mike Sherman from the Green Bay Packers.

Steve Buratto, Dave Ritchie, Richie Hall and Richard Harris have been interviewed. Doug Nussmeier and Fred Biletnikoff still in the running.

It seems George Cortez has moved to the top of the list, along with Riders' offensive co-ordinator Ken Miller.

The carousel goes around and around ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

No Ka Oi wrote: With his track record, you would think he is a shoe-in for a HC job somewhere.
The expression is "shoo-in" not "shoe -in". It has nothing to do with shoes.

"Shoo in" was originally a racetrack term, and was is applied to a horse expected to easily win a race, and, by extension, to any contestant expected to win an easy victory. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first use of the term in print dates back to 1928. A "shoo in" was originally a horse that was expected to win a race, not by virtue of its speed or endurance, but because the race was fixed. The sardonic "subtext" of the original usage, now lost, was that the designated horse would win even if it were so lackadaisical in its performance that it simply wandered somehow up to the finish line and had to be "shooed in" to victory.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

My understanding is that Tillman wanted to interview Kavis Reed for the defensive coordinator's position in Saskatchewan. That is a lateral move, and as such the Argos are violating no rules, written or unwritten, by denying permission.

The very public manner in which Tillman is conducting his coaching search is a little untoward, and I can't really blame the Argos, Adam Rita in particular, for being ticked off. Tillman sought and received permission to speak to Buratto, for example, but he has yet to actually interview him, which is annoying Rita. Usually teams conduct these kinds of searches with a little more discretion, but Tillman feeds off media attention, and loves the fact that he can generate a story with one dropped name.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Rammer
Team Captain

PigSkin_53 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Seems like everytime there is Head Coach vacancy George Cortez's name always comes up. Thus far he's been a bride's maid. Why ?
It has occurred to me, and a question as well why Wally never rehired him?

Perhaps Blitz can enlighten us here?
Cortez may have been sought out by Bouno had Chapdelaine not left his position after Cortez was hired as the OC for the Stamps. He also hasn't really been given a HC position in the CFL, mainly due to the timing of his return, not many available that didn't have solid candidates in place or a management team that didn't have association with his past CFL stint. His time will come, and while Calgary had some early offensive issues getting in sync, they appeared to have a good game plan from about half way through the season. The only thing preventing them from being at the level of GC contender as was expected, was more to do with their D. Add to that the Burris comfort level in reading a good D and you have a reason why the Stamps ended up just making the playoffs vs being the favorite for the GC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bye, George!

Darrell Davis, Leader-Post

Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Another leading candidate has withdrawn from the Saskatchewan Roughriders' coaching derby.

George Cortez, the Calgary Stampeders' associate head coach/offensive co-ordinator, has asked Saskatchewan general manager Eric Tillman to take him off the list.

"Late (Monday) night, George informed me that due to a combination of reasons he would be staying with the Stamps,'' Tillman said Tuesay.

George has been a good friend for many years, and, as I told him, my respect for him has only increased during this process.''

Cortez declined an interview request from the Leader-Post. Cortez has evidently settled into a familair offensive system with new Stampeders head coach John Hufnagel, which differs from the system the Roughriders adapted successfully under former head coach Kent Austin.

Cortez and Tom Rossley had been top contenders to replace Austin, who led the Roughriders to the 2007 Grey Cup and resigned Jan. 16 to become the offensive co-ordinator at the University of Mississippi. Cortez, Rossley and Tillman have been close friends since working together in the 1980s with the CFL's Montreal Concordes.

Rossley, who has been Southern Methodist University's head coach and the Green Bay Packers' offensive co-ordinator, removed himself from Tillman's consideration Sunday upon accepting a coaching position at Texas A&M.

"The process is now down to five or six candidates, three internal and two or three external,'' said Tillman. "While I normally avoid establishing time frames, I'm very comfortable saying we will be introducing our new head coach mid to late next week.''

The internal candidates Riders offensive co-ordinator Ken Miller, defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall and assistant head coach/offensive line coach Mike Gibson.

St. Louis Rams quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier and Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive line coach Richard Harris are believed to be the leading external candidates, with B.C. Lions defensive co-ordinator Dave Ritchie remaining as a longshot. The Rams are undergoing staff changes, which may delay Tillman's efforts to meet with Nussmeier. Nussmeier's situation is more complicated because his wife is pregnant.

Tillman has spoken with two other candidates whose names he won't publicly disclose.
Maybe George Cortez is just more comfortable being an assistant coach, rather than have the pressure of being Head Coach. And if he is not Tillman's choice, perhaps Tillman is letting his old friend remove his own name from the list, before he chooses someone else.

Interesting that Tillman has spoken to a couple of candidates whose names he is keeping private.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ritchie career at end?

Published: Friday, February 01, 2008

Dave Ritchie's coaching career has officially ended, unless he surprisingly gets a call within the next few days from Saskatchewan Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman.

"He's got certain people he's interested in,'' Ritchie said Thursday from Pittsburgh. "It's not in my hands. I've done all I can.''

Tillman is seeking a head coach for his CFL team. He spoke during the weekend with Ritchie, a long-time CFL coach whose retirement became official Thursday when the B.C. Lions presented a new coaching staff that included Mike Benevides replacing him as the team's defensive co-ordinator.

This was going to be my final season, but I was hoping to get a head coaching job,'' said Ritchie, 69. "I still feel good being around young people and would look forward to being a head coach again.

"Check who's seventh on the league's won-lost record.''

Through 11 seasons as the head coach of three CFL teams, including the 1994 Grey Cup-winning Lions, whose general manager was Tillman, Ritchie has posted 108 regular-season victories. That is, indeed, seventh all-time. Don Matthews leads with 231 victories.

Tillman is looking to replace Kent Austin, who left the Roughriders after one Grey Cup-winning season to become the offensive co-ordinator at the University of Mississippi. Tillman has insisted he will hire someone he knows well. Tillman wants the new head coach to retain the offensive system deployed successfully last season by Austin, plus he hopes to retain most of the experienced coaching staff he helped assemble.

"I would definitely be able to do that,'' said Ritchie. "Because I've been coaching defence for most of my time in the CFL and I have worked with some of the (Riders assistants, specifically offensive line coach Mike Gibson and receivers coach Paul LaPolice), I could work with the current staff and help them with their offence.''

Tillman began his search with a dozen prospects. Three have since been eliminated: George Cortez decided to stay as associate head coach/offensive co-ordinator with the Calgary Stampeders; Tom Rossley accepted a coaching job at Texas A&M; and Toronto Argonauts offensive co-ordinator Steve Buratto has been told by Tillman he won't be hired.

Tillman told the Leader-Post he expects to present Sasktchewan's new head coach by the middle of next week.

The leading candidate appears to be offensive co-ordinator Ken Miller. Tillman has also spoken with Gibson and Riders defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall, Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive line coach Richard Harris and two candidates whose identities are being kept secret.

Miller, 65, has an extensive career coaching U.S. college and high school teams. He has been in the CFL for six seasons, the first five with the Argonauts.
If your career is at an end, Coach Ritchie, then I wish you all the good in your retirement. :yes:

Thanks for the Grey Cup of 1994 with the B.C. Lions, the sweetest Cup of all. :rockin: As it happens, Tillman had hired you for that Head Coaching position with the Lions.

And thanks for your great contributions to the Grey Cup of 2006.

Fare thee well.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Decision nearing

Roughrider general manager Eric Tillman meets with assistant coaches

Published: Monday, February 04, 2008

Saskatchewan Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman met Monday with assistant coaches Ken Miller, Richie Hall and Mike Gibson to discuss the CFL team's vacant head coaching job, a position that should be filled by Wednesday.

"I felt it was very important to meet face-to-face with all three of the internal candidates,'' Tillman said Monday night from the team's offices at Mosaic Stadium.

"I had lengthy meetings with all three. No offer was extended, but you can expect a head coach to be presented within the next 48 hours. That way, if it's someone external, I can get somebody on a plane tomorrow.''

Miller, Saskatchewan's offensive co-ordinator last season, is the leading candidate to replace Kent Austin, who left the Roughriders after one Grey Cup-winning campaign to become the University of Mississippi's offensive co-ordinator.

Hall, a Roughriders assistant for 14 seasons and the team's defensive co-ordinator, was the first of 10-12 candidates to discuss the job with Tillman. Gibson spent last season as Saskatchewan's assistant head coach/offensive line coach.

The two external candidates remaining in consideration are believed to be long-time CFL coach Dave Ritchie, who just retired as the B.C. Lions' defensive co-ordinator, and Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive line coach Richard Harris.

"As the interview process unfolded, it became very clear that there was not going to be a singular right or wrong choice,'' Tillman said.

"There are multiple good choices. It's a matter of deciding what's the best fit at multiple levels, from communicaton to shared philosophy to maintaining the continuity that we have. That can be achieved internally or externally.''

Since Austin resigned 20 days ago, Tillman has said he will hire someone he knows or has worked with. Tillman also wants the new head coach to provide continuity for the team, specifically with its offensive philosophy and its coaching staff.

Among the candidates who have for various reasons fallen by the wayside are Calgary Stampeders offensive co-ordinator/associate head coach George Cortez, Toronto Argonauts offensive co-ordinator Steve Buratto, Argonauts defensive co-ordinator Kavis Reed, St. Louis Rams quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier and Tom Rossley, formerly a head coach at Southern Methodist University and an offensive co-ordinator with the NFL's Green Bay Packers.

If Tillman gives the job to Miller, the team would have to hire an offensive co-ordinator. Gibson and receivers coach Paul LaPolice have each served as offensive co-ordinators in the CFL. Promoting Hall would force the Roughriders to hire a defensive co-ordinator.

"At the end of the process,'' said Tillman. " We're going to start just like we finished: With a strong staff from top to bottom.''

NOTES: Receiver Michael Palmer and linebacker Dustin Cherniawski, both non-imports, have signed one-year (plus an option year) contracts with the Roughriders. Financial details were not released. Cherniawski, a fourth-round draft choice in 2005, has recorded 40 special-teams tackles in 41 regular-season game. Palmer, a five-year CFL season, joined the Roughriders last season after being waived by the Toronto Argonauts. In nine games he caught 10 passes for 191 yards.

ddavis@leaderpost.canwest.com
Tillman has a pretty good track record at picking Head Coaches. I am very interested to hear who his choice is this time. It sounds like Dave Ritchie is not out of the running yet, but his hiring would be a surprise to me.

Tillman wants continuity. He wants someone he knows and has worked with. He wants to keep the assistants he already has. For these reasons, my hunch is that the choice might be Ken Miller, his Offensive Coordinator.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Miller takes the job as Roughriders' head coach

Published: Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Ken Miller, the Saskatchewan Roughriders' low-key offensive co-ordinator who was last a head coach 20 years ago, is going to be presented as the CFL team's new head coach at a media conference Wednesday.

According to a source familiar with the situation, Miller was offered the job Tuesday by Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman. Tillman, who interviewed 12 candidates to replace departed head coach Kent Austin, has evidently decided against promoting assistant head coach/offensive line coach Mike Gibson or long-time defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall.

Among the other candidates being considered were veteran CFL coach Dave Ritchie and Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive line coach Richard Harris.

Tillman confirmed Tuesday night only that it was "an internal hiring.'' Repeated attempts to reach Miller through the Roughriders have been unsuccessful. Miller met with Tillman on Tuesday morning.

"An offer has been extended, accepted and there will be an announcement (this) morning,'' Tillman said. "I have visited with the other candidates to tell them I've hired somebody.''

Miller, 66, spent five seasons with the Toronto Argonauts -- in his first professional job -- before Austin lured him to Saskatchewan. Miller and Austin worked together with the Argonauts, winning a Grey Cup in 2004 behind the MVP showing of veteran quarterback Damon Allen.

Miller has been a football coach for 40 years, primarily in U.S. high school and college ranks.

His biography states he has only been a head coach once before, with the University of Redlands (Calif.) from 1984-88.

Miller is from Oregon, but he attended Dickinson State (N.D.), where he majored in physical education and biology. He later earned a masters degree in education at Azusa Pacific, a Christian university near Los Angeles. Miller is an articulate, intelligent man who seemed highly regarded last year by his players and his head coach, but his contributions were overshadowed by Austin's influence on the team.

Miller's understanding of Saskatchewan's offence -- and his expected ability to help quarterback Kerry Joseph repeat last year's most-outstanding-player performance -- was a deciding factor in his hiring.

Tillman has insisted he would hire someone he knew well or had worked with before. Tillman also hoped to maintain some continuity with his team's offence and its coaching staff.

Hall, who has been with the Roughriders for 14 seasons, is under contract for 2008 and will likely be invited to remain on the staff, along with linebackers/special teams coach Alex Smith and defensive line coach Ron Estay, who has spent the past few days in a Regina hospital.

Gibson and receivers coach Paul LaPolice are also expected to return. Both are former CFL offensive co-ordinators, so one could be promoted to assume Miller's former job. The Roughriders would then hire another offensive assistant.

Former SMU head coach Tom Rossley, who recently worked as offensive co-ordinator with the NFL's Green Bay Packers, and Calgary Stampeders associate head coach/offensive co-ordinator George Cortez were prime candidates when Tillman began seeking a replacement for Austin, who resigned Jan. 16 to become the offensive co-ordinator at his alma mater, the University of Mississippi. Rossley and Cortez spoke to Tillman before, respectively, accepting a coaching job at Texas A&M and deciding to remain in Calgary.

Also included in Tillman's initial search were Argonauts offensive co-ordinator Steve Buratto, St. Louis Rams quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier, Argonauts defensive co-ordinator Kavis Reed and at least two other candidates who didn't want their names made public.
Daring move by Tillman. Miller was last a Head Coach 20 years ago.

Miller is 66. He was HC at University of Redlands from 1984 to 1988.

I expect Austin was very happy with Miller's work this past year, and Tillman obviously felt the same way.

I like the choice by Tillman, very nervy, not just re-cycling an ordinary, but experienced CFL Head Coach.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This has to be seen as a failure by Eric Tillman. He tried to find a high-profile external candidate with an offensive background and couldn't, so he settled for a holdover from last year's staff who has been nothing but an assistant through most of his career.

Miller was probably the best of the internal candidates because of his knowledge of the offence and success in working with Kerry Joseph, but he'll probably be seen as Tillman's second choice. It remains to be seen whether he'll duplicate the success of Dave Ritchie, who won a Grey Cup with the Lions in 1994 after being Tillman's second choice as head coach.