If Dave Ritchie retires, who becomes Defensive Co-ordinator?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If Dave Ritchie retires, who becomes Defensive Co-ordinator?

IMHO, there is no other choice Wally would consider seriously, except to promote Mike Benevides.

I would like that to happen.

IMHO Dave Ritchie is finally showing his age. As much as I love the old, growly papa bear, as his players do, and all of us Lionbackers do, his D lost some of its snarl this year. I think the D might regain some of that snarl with a younger, more energetic, more edgy coach. I think Mike B is that guy.

Scheme-wise, I would like to see more rotation of the D Line personnel. Get more reps for Ricky Foley and Matt Kirk. Maybe even give Brent Johnson (Canadian) some games off by inserting Brandon Ala (American) for the occasional game. With the Canadian strength of the team, they could work the numbers to accommodate that concept.

I would also like to see more blitz packages. Take a more attacking approach to the D. Defenders love to attack, rather than respond, just as the O Line loves to attack with the running game, rather than respond in the passing game.

I also think we need more depth at LB, and perhaps a little less at DB. We were hurt this year by our lack of depth at LB when the injury bug hit. The CFL game is probably going to swing back to more of an emphasis on running, getting away from the old-style Hufnagel passing game.

All of this, IMHO.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I know Wally and Benevides are tight but Benevides has shown nothing as a position coach. The weakest area of the B.C. defence has been the linebackers, and that was his area of responsibility. It seemed like Wally, an ex-linebacker himself, made a lot of the key game decisions anyway.
Shaggy
Starter

Yeah, whoever is Defensive Coordinator next year needs to bring more heat!! Look at the Bombers D yesterday vs KJ and the Riders. They put pressure on him and made him force plays that weren't there.

In the WF, it looked like the Lions were content to sit back and try and "contain" him, instead of bringing it. I don't think Benevides can be faulted with the LBs this year. They had a series of injuries that really impacted that group. Jamal Johnson, Javy Glatt and Otis Floyd all had significant time lost due to injury. Pottinger had a "baptism by fire" as a result.

Additionally, if Wally is making game decisions w/personnel, then the blame needs to be put at his feet, and not hung on the position coaches and Def. Coord.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Dave Ritchie is on record, earlier this year I think, as saying that he is still interested in being a Head Coach in the CFL again. So I don't think he is ready to retire.

As far as his D not being as effective or edgy as in the past. I don't really buy it as the D carried the team and set up the O for most of the games this year.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I know Wally and Benevides are tight but Benevides has shown nothing as a position coach. The weakest area of the B.C. defence has been the linebackers, and that was his area of responsibility. It seemed like Wally, an ex-linebacker himself, made a lot of the key game decisions anyway.
Yes, we underperformed at linebacker, but I'm not so sure it was Benevides' fault. Our middle linbacker suffered an ankle/achilles injury before Game 8 (Calgary) from which I don't think he ever fully recovered. Ditto both our (starting) outside linebackers with nagging groin injuries, not to mention all the growing pains that came with starting a 2nd year linebacker in Pottinger who, on the whole, acquitted himself rather nicely but is still a step behind the pace of the pro game.

Where Benevides did excel this season in my estimation was his work with Special Teams.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Shaggy
Starter

If Ritchie gets a Head Coaching spot, we'll need a new Def. Coord.
If Ritchie doesn't get a HC spot, then perhaps he retires? ( Still speculation, but he's not getting any younger, and I recall reading something last week about him building a new house in Pittsburgh area (?) to be closer to his family.

As far as the D being edgy, down the stretch and in the WF, they weren't quite as intense as earlier in the year. They were a little too passive.
I just don't think they left it all on the field. The same goes for the O.
I'm not hanging it all on Dave Ritchie, I just think they were very vanilla and prone to getting chewed up with that 8 man zone on passing downs.
A few more blitzes on 2nd down could've done wonders. Either that, or if you're going to drop 8 when they've got 2nd and very long, you can't let them make the completion for a first down. Too many times in that WF they had Sask pinned deep in their own end and let them escape.
KJ had too much time too often in the WF. The last regular season game vs Calgary was very sloppy too.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I know Wally and Benevides are tight but Benevides has shown nothing as a position coach. The weakest area of the B.C. defence has been the linebackers, and that was his area of responsibility. It seemed like Wally, an ex-linebacker himself, made a lot of the key game decisions anyway.
Um, yeah. All three starting linebackers were playing injured at some point in the season. I don't think you can hang that on Benevides.

And even if you could, I'll trade that for having one of, if not the, best Special Teams units in the league. And a guy that does the bulk of our non-import talent evaluation to boot.

That's your eventual successor to Wally as well, I think. If Ritchie leaves, move him up.

As for the rest of the criticism of the defensive scheme, it's certainly warranted. We talked about the need for a solid D Line rotation all year. The scheming of the linebackers. The eight man zone look that, when coupled with a tired pass rush, gave opposing QBs too much time to hit players on underneath patterns. It most certainly needs an off season tweaking. I'm not averse to an upgrade of personnel at one of the linebacking positions either (I'm looking at you with a contract offer and a chance to play on the same team as your brother, Reggie Hunt).
Tighthead
Legend

I think our D had the Riders on the ropes in the first half. Eventually, we had to pay for all the short fields and lame time of possession. Joseph looked rattled and ineffective for most of the second quarter.

I thought the D was great, but the O let everyone down.