Marc Lalonde Fought for the CFL, Introduced a Bill in 1974

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Cohon sees NFL in Toronto as a threat

Canadian Press November 23, 2007 at 2:58 PM EST

TORONTO — Mark Cohon believes the NFL coming to Toronto is a very real threat to his league and the CFL commissioner is prepared to tackle it head on.

Cohon made the frank admission at the commissioner's annual Grey Cup news conference Friday, marking the first time the league has publicly taken such a definitive stance on the issue.

Should the NFL head north of the border on a permanent basis, Cohon would look to establish a partnership between the two leagues to preserve the CFL's future.

"All of the tea leaves are indicating that it's shifting," Cohon said. "You have guys like Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum and Phil Lind, very powerful Canadians who are interested, you have an owner in Ralph Wilson in Buffalo who has said, 'When I die, my estate will sell the franchise,' you have the Bills interested in marking Toronto as part of their territory, which I believe is indication that, 'Hey this our territory, we don't want another NFL team coming here.'

"So I think there's all these things lining up as an indication that it could happen. So, I'm not sticking my head in the sand, that would be the worst thing for the CFL commissioner to do. So I think there's a real potential."

Last month, Wilson unveiled a plan at an NFL owners meeting for the Bills to play eight games (three exhibition, five regular season) over five years at the Rogers Centre, starting next season. Earlier in the summer, the 89-year-old Wilson announced he wouldn't sell the Buffalo franchise in his lifetime but that it would be sold the highest bidder upon his death.

Talk of the NFL coming to Toronto has existed since the 1970s. But the combination of Wilson's statement, the Bills' playing regular-season games at Rogers Centre, the strength of the Canadian dollar and deep pockets of the Toronto NFL group headed up by Rogers and Tanenbaum has many believing the NFL's arrival here is inevitable.

Toronto Argonauts owners David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski obviously think so, too. They've spoken to Cohon and the other league owners about buying an NFL franchise for Toronto to ensure the Argos' long-term survival in the city.

The overwhelming belief is that if the NFL does come to Toronto, it will not only spell the end of the Argos and Hamilton Tiger-Cats, but ultimately the CFL. But Cohon said he's speaking with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and his top priority is protecting the CFL's eight member franchises.

"Clearly, if our franchises in southern Ontario are hurt in any way, it has a profound impact on our league," he said. "Our television deal gets re-arranged, our corporate interests get hurt.

"I'm not going to preside over a league that has a Grey Cup just out west. That's not what I was hired to do. Any type of relationship that we have has to make sure that the eight existing franchises are strong, growing and healthy. I think southern Ontario is critical to this league and I'll make sure I protect it and grow it."

In the 1970s when the Toronto Northmen of the now-defunct World Football League was formed, the federal government threatened to pass legislation banning the league from operating in Canada to protect the CFL. The WFL team never played a down in Canada, instead moving to Memphis.

However, Cohon says the CFL doesn't need the government's assistance just yet.

"At some point, the question is when do I want to have that discussion?" he said. "For (the NFL) to work here, they know they want to help us.

"My first approach is let's figure out what we can do and if that doesn't work we'll have a different discussion."

The NFL talk overshadowed what was otherwise a decent season for the CFL. For example:

— The Grey Cup is a sellout in its first return to Toronto since 1992, with 53,000 tickets sold.

— Attendance league-wide is up. The league's average attendance this year was 29,167, its highest number since 1983, and this is the sixth straight year CFL attendance exceeded two million spectators.

— There were 12 per cent more touchdowns scored this year compared to last. As well, there were nine special-teams TDs scored, compared to just three in 2006.

— CFL games averaged 49 total points scored, an increase of four per cent from last year.

— Bombers slotback Milt Stegall broke the CFL's career touchdowns record while Montreal quarterback Anthony Calvillo became just the fourth player in league history to surpass 50,000 career passing yards.

But there were problems.

The league continued to have issues with officiating and was left red-faced when two players it suspended were both allowed to play due to drawn-out appeals.

Cohon said the CFL will increase its budget for the recruitment and training of officials as well as the equipment they use while also meeting with the CFL Players' Association to discuss possibly amending the appeals process.

Cohon didn't announce an agreement in principle for the CFL to return to Ottawa. The league remains in talks with a local group headed up by Ottawa 67's owner Jeff Hunt but a team might not be able to begin play there until 2010 due to a re-development plan for Lansdowne Park, where Frank Clair Stadium is located.

Ideally, Cohon would like the CFL to expand to 10 teams, with either Quebec City or Halifax being prime candidates if they can get a stadium.

"The plan for Ottawa is complicated," Cohon said. "But because the league is strong now we don't need to rush into a situation and fall down.

"I think it would be better to go from eight (teams) to 10, if we could do it but that would be predicated on building stadiums. I don't anticipate that's going to happen in a short period of time but I think it's logical and a step forward is by building stadiums in those locations."
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"You have guys like Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum and Phil Lind, very powerful Canadians who are interested, you have an owner in Ralph Wilson in Buffalo who has said, 'When I die, my estate will sell the franchise,' you have the Bills interested in marking Toronto as part of their territory, which I believe is indication that, 'Hey this our territory, we don't want another NFL team coming here.'

Last month, Wilson unveiled a plan at an NFL owners meeting for the Bills to play eight games (three exhibition, five regular season) over five years at the Rogers Centre, starting next season. Earlier in the summer, the 89-year-old Wilson announced he wouldn't sell the Buffalo franchise in his lifetime but that it would be sold the highest bidder upon his death.
* Cohon acknowledges the threat, the first time the CFL has done so.

* The rich Torontonians are ready to spend their money on an NFL franchise.

* Toronto is obviously big enough to support such a team. Witness the viability of the Blue Jays and the Raptors.

* The Bills are laying claim to Toronto as part of their catchment area. Ralph Wilson's estate will sell the team after his death.
The overwhelming belief is that if the NFL does come to Toronto, it will not only spell the end of the Argos and Hamilton Tiger-Cats, but ultimately the CFL. But Cohon said he's speaking with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and his top priority is protecting the CFL's eight member franchises.
"Clearly, if our franchises in southern Ontario are hurt in any way, it has a profound impact on our league," he said. "Our television deal gets re-arranged, our corporate interests get hurt.
* An NFL team in Toronto would adversely affect the television interests and corporate sponsorship of the CFL.
In the 1970s when the Toronto Northmen of the now-defunct World Football League was formed, the federal government threatened to pass legislation banning the league from operating in Canada to protect the CFL. The WFL team never played a down in Canada, instead moving to Memphis.

"At some point, the question is when do I want to have that discussion?" he said.
* The most powerful card the CFL has to play is the support of the Canadian government.

* Cohon would like to expand to 10 teams rather than 9. New stadiums would be required for the new franchises. Halifax, Quebec City and Ottawa are the cities that are under consideration for expansion.

* It is my hope that the Canadian government would prevent the invasion of the NFL into Canada. I think such an invasion would be the death knell of the CFL.

* I also think the NFL might be touching on American monopoly legislation if they destroy the CFL.

* The NFL in Toronto is no "done deal" and might never be. Cohon is doing the right thing recognizing the threat.
joesports
All Star

Honestly, would Americans NFL fans be open to the potential of a Super Bowl being won by a team based in Canada? :shock:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Buffalo Shuffle.

"You are being transferred to Buffalo."

"No, I'm not. I quit."

Buffalo is a lousy market. People don't even want to live there. But they can tap into the Canadian market right where they are.

You're right, Tighthead. I don't think the NFL wants to expand. They had been aiming for 32 franchises for a long time, and now they have them. The Buffalo Bills situation would be a re-location, rather than an expansion.

Wilson and his family will stay in Buffalo for his lifetime (the clock is ticking). New owners, even from the US, would of course look at TO, along with any other possibilities, as an alternative to Buffalo.

Would American owners want a franchise in Canada, as absentee owners? Dunno. Would American owners want a franchise in Mexico City or London, England? Dunno. It seems to me a franchise in Toronto would be more likely if it involved Canadian owners.
Sports Illustrated writer Peter King reported that a Canadian group had made a billion-dollar offer to buy the New Orleans Saints last fall (2005) and move them north.
The situation has gotten our attention. It does threaten the CFL. We will see what happens.

To all NFL wannabes: Don't mess with the CFL, gawddammit. :x
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It's funny cuz the Green Bay Packers are an example of CFL style football. No, not the game. We're talking about a 'small market' that thrives in the gobigorgohome USof A. Couldn't have lasted without the TV deals but look what the Packers bring to the table. Rabid fans, tradition etc... I'm glad Cohon just admitted these are issues to look at. I also liked his take on expansion (from 8 to 10). I hope this is the last Bomber/Rider Grey Cup not because I don't respect the Teams but because I feel the Bombers belong in the West Division.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

joesports wrote:Honestly, would Americans NFL fans be open to the potential of a Super Bowl being won by a team based in Canada? :shock:
Remember the Toronto Blue Jays ?
Tighthead
Legend

notahomer wrote:It's funny cuz the Green Bay Packers are an example of CFL style football. No, not the game. We're talking about a 'small market' that thrives in the gobigorgohome USof A. Couldn't have lasted without the TV deals but look what the Packers bring to the table. Rabid fans, tradition etc... I'm glad Cohon just admitted these are issues to look at. I also liked his take on expansion (from 8 to 10). I hope this is the last Bomber/Rider Grey Cup not because I don't respect the Teams but because I feel the Bombers belong in the West Division.
The Pack probably wouldn't last in Green Bay if they were privately owned. Not enough ancillary revenue.

The new stadium in Dallas will set the bar for the other franchises. Jerry's non-TV revenue will be crazy.
hwgill
Legend

I don't think gov't legislation could be defeated in court. All the gov't has to do is make the CFL a heritage league, and anything can be done to protect it. Considering the age of the league, it could be, IMO, successfully argued that the CFL is a major part of Canada's heritage.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

hwgill wrote:I don't think gov't legislation could be defeated in court. All the gov't has to do is make the CFL a heritage league, and anything can be done to protect it. Considering the age of the league, it could be, IMO, successfully argued that the CFL is a major part of Canada's heritage.
Governments can do most anything they like. They could make it illegal to take Wayne Gretzky's name in vain if they wanted.

For sure, the CFL is a major part of Canada's heritage, especially the drinking and partying. Yee Haw :beer:

Rogers, Tannenbaum, et al, you rich Toronto NFL-wannabes, don't be messin' with our national heritage. :x
Soundy
Hall of Famer

One caller to the Team yesterday noted that he didn't think the NFL would be particularly interested in moving an existing team (ie. the Bills) into Toronto anyway, simply because there are much bigger markets available to them: specifically, Los Angeles (around 12 million people, vs. 3-4 million in Toronto).

I would tend to agree with that... not only is LA a FAR larger market that HAS had the NFL and surely wants it back, but putting a team in Canada brings on additional logistics: specifically, 20-or-so border crossings to be dealt with every year. Granted, the other big leagues manage it apparently without significant issue, but it is one more thing that can sway the decision toward keeping the team within the lower-48.

Besides, next thing you know, you'd have all the players wanting to be paid in Canadian dollars!
:lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Tighthead
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
hwgill wrote:I don't think gov't legislation could be defeated in court. All the gov't has to do is make the CFL a heritage league, and anything can be done to protect it. Considering the age of the league, it could be, IMO, successfully argued that the CFL is a major part of Canada's heritage.
Governments can do most anything they like. They could make it illegal to take Wayne Gretzky's name in vain if they wanted.

:x
Governments can do most anything they like, and have it overturned in court. It happens all the time. I think a law restricting the NFL would be a restraint of trade. HBC is a major part of Canada's heritage, but nobody kept Sears, Wal Mart and the Gap out.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

In sports, you often hear: "That's why they play the games" in reference to an uncertain outcome.

In the uncertain outcome of a legal dispute between a business and the ruling government, I would bet my money on the government. But then again, that's why we have lawyers.

If the Canadian government was opposed to the NFL invading Canada, I would expect the NFL league office would honour that. Of course, not all NFL teams obey their own league office (qv Al Davis' moving the Raiders to Los Angeles and back to Oakland, et cetera). Big mess, but great for the lawyers.
Tighthead
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:

In sports, you often hear: "That's why they play the games" in reference to an uncertain outcome.

In the uncertain outcome of a legal dispute between a business and the ruling government, I would bet my money on the government. But then again, that's why we have lawyers.
It would be hard for the government, in this non-protectionist era, to ban the NFL when most of its players and coaches are American, and the NHL, NBA and MLB are all international. Furthermore, it wasn't that long ago that the CFL was in the U.S. The SCC is a body which is devoid of sentiment, and devoid of sympathy for the intentions of any government.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I'm going to have to place a bet with the brokers.

Whatever the factors involved (NFL, CFL, Toronto Argonauts, anti-trust legislation, lawyers, Canadian government, protectionism, NAFTA, Buffalo Bills, Godfrey, Rogers and Tanenbaum, etc.), I'm going to bet that the NFL does not get a franchise in Toronto in the next 10 years. I might even bet for longer than that, 20 years, 30 years, etc. but that would come later.

By that time, Canada might have absorbed the US as a formerly wealthy, formerly powerful, colony.

Once again, Tighthead, you can have the last word on this one, if you wish.
raspybrat

Okay okay, it is now 9:11 pm Toronto time --fittingly 9:11 nonetheless but I can't help but be disgusted by Rogers (company) and his old-age ignorance that is about getting the NFL in Canada. I now am in Toronto partying for the Grey Cup. If any one of us; even those who perhaps loathe the CFL can let the legacy of this league and Canadian culture go...then we, our politicians and all around us are pathetic.

We let American's jump to protectionist interest to save themselves -- a la softwood lumber deal; hey if it doesn't work in the US eyes then well, it's no longer an 'agreement' so we'll change it!!! -- and in turn cower and let everything american invade Canada...for example Molson's once a 'family brewery' now is a joint deal with american Coors and listed as such on Stock exchanges. Hudson bay / Zellers, again once a Canadian institution is now held by US interests. When will Canadians appreciate that they have Canadian products. If people here in Toronto want American products ... cross the @#$#$ border. CFL must stay. The parties I have attended across Toronto tonight for Grey Cup 2007 provide full-Canadian content. Even the CRTC would approve. Please Canadians' keep this Canadian institution alive!
:yes:

NFL and Ted Rogers ...blah!