Riderfan emails George Black about canned noise

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Soundy wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Also...you're a little dee dee dee for sending an email complaining about canned noise, when you have zero proof that BC uses it to begin with.
Yeah, that's the kicker... as "Vern" notes himself, these rumours have been around for years - does he really think they haven't been investigated by the league any number of times? Does he really believe they aren't regularly on the lookout for it happening?

Well, apparently he believes that his voice will encourage ol' George to finally take a SERIOUS look at the accusations. "Well, I never really paid much attention to everyone saying the Lions pipe in canned noise, but heck, Vern Halen is now saying it must be so... guess we better really check into this!"
Exactly my point. Just because some fan reports that there are rumours doesn't mean that the league officials are all of a sudden going to change the way they do their duties. They know better than any of us fans what goes on in each building. But I guess because we kicked the crap out of the riders last year we must have cheated...right? right? :bang:
Roar you Lions roar!
Vern Halen
Champion

OK - I know I said I was done but this will be my final post on this thread as there are a couple things that have been asked of me.

To Soundy: Fair enough. I have no reply to that. George Black does not answer to me.

To Stui: If the Riders lose, and the league says there was no artificial noise - then so be it. I will go to my grave saying that the Lions do NOT use artificial noise and will defend BC Place, the Lions Football Club and their fans when that topic is raised. I am a fan of the league in general and of the Riders in particular. As far as I'm concerned, the CFL is above lying to fans and teams - they are here for the good of the league and it's member clubs and no-one else will ever convince me otherwise.

To The_Pauser: It's unfortunate that you got banned from our site. I am not a mod on our site and therefore such decisions are not up to me. If your mods deem that I have breached a code of conduct and I get banned as a result, then so be it. I am willing to respect the rules in your house. Just please remember that I have no say in what goes on on our site so please don't don't flame me for something I have absolutely no control over. As far as me being dee dee dee about my email to Mr. Black, what I said was "It's been a long standing rumour that the B.C. Lions Football Club allows the use of artificial or "canned" crowd noise in their home stadium, B.C. Place. I realize that being a domed stadium, the noise levels created by B.C. Lions fans can be quite high without any enhancement". Rumour being the key word. I apologize if it was interpreted as "I have proof".

Wow - you Lions fans sure know how to beat the p*** out of someone. :yes:

And I repeat: We will know who's representing the West in less than 72 hours. Either way, the West is best and we'll kick some Bomber/Argo ass.

May the best team win. :beer:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

"Yeah, George, I know you've probably heard this before, but this time I REALLY KNOW it's happening! No, I can't prove it, since I won't even be there, but I KNOW they're gonna do it! If I WAS there, I'd be able to prove it! Hmmm, maybe the league would like to fly me out for this game..."

Ah-HA! With some clever detective work, we have discovered Vern's true motives! He really doesn't give a crap about the noise, he just wants to be there. Well, at least he's being more creative about his fellow RFs when it comes to finding a travel agent... :rotf:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Stui

Vern Halen wrote:To Stui: If the Riders lose, and the league says there was no artificial noise - then so be it. I will go to my grave saying that the Lions do NOT use artificial noise and will defend BC Place, the Lions Football Club and their fans when that topic is raised. I am a fan of the league in general and of the Riders in particular. As far as I'm concerned, the CFL is above lying to fans and teams - they are here for the good of the league and it's member clubs and no-one else will ever convince me otherwise.
Thanks for your honesty, Vern. Good enough for me! And I apologize, as my interpretation of your e-mail was/is incorrect.
I know who's representing the West in less than 72 hours. Either way, the West is best and we'll kick some Bomber/Argo ass.
Oh hell yes!!
May the best team win. :beer:
:beer: Cheers to that!
Last edited by Stui on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Go easy on him, guys. You may not agree with the methods that Vern used, but it wasn't like he went and blatantly said "this is what the Lions are doing," but merely trying to garner a better understanding of the league's policies regarding the matter and to see if it's being looked into. It wasn't a rambling letter pointing the finger and swearing like a lunatic trying to get his point across, it was a simple, decent letter from a concerned fan. Just because it's an issue that none of us like to have brought up every time at this year doesn't mean it was malicious. People from this very site have emailed George Black about other league matters in the past so it's not like this is a precedent setting email either. I'm sure that the league has looked into this issue many times in the past but, as I said previously, if sending this email and the league confirming what we already know, then having one less
'Rider fan buying in to the whole "canned noise" BS it's a positive for us and something we should be happy about. Just my .02
Soundy
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:Go easy on him, guys. You may not agree with the methods that Vern used, but it wasn't like he went and blatantly said "this is what the Lions are doing," but merely trying to garner a better understanding of the league's policies regarding the matter and to see if it's being looked into. It wasn't a rambling letter pointing the finger and swearing like a lunatic trying to get his point across, it was a simple, decent letter from a concerned fan. Just because it's an issue that none of us like to have brought up every time at this year doesn't mean it was malicious. People from this very site have emailed George Black about other league matters in the past so it's not like this is a precedent setting email either. I'm sure that the league has looked into this issue many times in the past but, as I said previously, if sending this email and the league confirming what we already know, then having one less
'Rider fan buying in to the whole "canned noise" BS it's a positive for us and something we should be happy about. Just my .02
Yeah, it wouldn't be such a deal if the issue hadn't been fully beat to death a long time ago...
(\__/)
Stui

No Ordinary Joe wrote:Go easy on him, guys.
So, are you saying we should go <whispers> troll hunting?? </whispers>

Muwahahahhahaaha!! heheheh. I need another beer!
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Stui wrote:
No Ordinary Joe wrote:Go easy on him, guys.
So, are you saying we should go <whispers> troll hunting?? </whispers>

Muwahahahhahaaha!! heheheh. I need another beer!
Yeah, I think I saw Migs walking around here earlier. :lol:
Noodles
Rookie

No Ordinary Joe wrote:Go easy on him, guys. You may not agree with the methods that Vern used, but it wasn't like he went and blatantly said "this is what the Lions are doing," but merely trying to garner a better understanding of the league's policies regarding the matter and to see if it's being looked into. It wasn't a rambling letter pointing the finger and swearing like a lunatic trying to get his point across, it was a simple, decent letter from a concerned fan. Just because it's an issue that none of us like to have brought up every time at this year doesn't mean it was malicious. People from this very site have emailed George Black about other league matters in the past so it's not like this is a precedent setting email either. I'm sure that the league has looked into this issue many times in the past but, as I said previously, if sending this email and the league confirming what we already know, then having one less
posts like these make lionbackers.com seem like such a better place to be than riderfans.com

you will be absolute assaulted if you post an opposing opinion over there. i've even seen other riderfans being chastised for going against the grain. good to see people here respect opinions of others.

Vern, may the best team win.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hey Vern, don't you know that David Braley bribes the CFL to let the Lions pipe in canned sound, go beyond the salary cap, fire commissioner Tom whatshisname and bring in his son-in-law Mark Cohon to do his bidding.
How many "I read it on the internet so it must be true" people are there in Regina?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

is there any talk of this "canned noise" acusation anywhere other than RF.com and lionbackers.com? Is the local media in Vancouver talking about it? This should be a great rallying opportunity for the Lions, something they could use to encourage the home crowd to be even louder. I think one of the reasons the fans at Quest Field are so loud is the fact that there has been so much attention paid to how loud they can be. Now the Seattle fans feel an expectation to be loud as hell.

The Lions should be not only marketing this as "The Loudest Game of the Year" but reminding people of how many time count violations the Riders took last year due to crowd noise. The team could even do a sort of reverse promotion like "free earplugs for the first 2000 people wearing green".
Rammer
Team Captain

^^^Excellent point for the Lions to use.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Vern. Good on you for coming back on and defending your actions. An honest discourse is what these forums are supposed to be all about (That and some good natured ribbing). There is one thing about this that is bothersome however and that is the timing. As has been mentioned numerous times, this has been alleged for years. Why now is it that you choose to write a letter to the league about something that has according to some been a long time practise? Could it be that your team is on the eve on a huge playoff game? Would you have written this letter if Calgary had defeated the Riders in the Western Semi-Final? I suspect not. It is this timing that suggests that you were perhaps more interested in the fate of your team than in the actual principles of honesty and fair play. Otherwise you would have written your letter a long time ago regardless of who was playing. It would do well for all fans to remember that fair play is a 365 day of the year pursuit, not just for a one game shot. In pursuing this line at this time, your motives are called into question. Perhaps the next time someone wants to take this course of action, they should maybe consider doing it at the beginning of the season rather than waiting to the last game to say "I think there may be something up."
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Vern. Good on you for coming back on and defending your actions. An honest discourse is what these forums are supposed to be all about (That and some good natured ribbing). There is one thing about this that is bothersome however and that is the timing. As has been mentioned numerous times, this has been alleged for years. Why now is it that you choose to write a letter to the league about something that has according to some been a long time practise? Could it be that your team is on the eve on a huge playoff game? Would you have written this letter if Calgary had defeated the Riders in the Western Semi-Final? I suspect not. It is this timing that suggests that you were perhaps more interested in the fate of your team than in the actual principles of honesty and fair play. Otherwise you would have written your letter a long time ago regardless of who was playing. It would do well for all fans to remember that fair play is a 365 day of the year pursuit, not just for a one game shot. In pursuing this line at this time, your motives are called into question. Perhaps the next time someone wants to take this course of action, they should maybe consider doing it at the beginning of the season rather than waiting to last game to say "I think there may be something up."
Shoots and scores!
(\__/)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Maybe I should have said it in latin? :lol:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.