How to find a winning CFL QB

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I guess you can add Ben Sankey to the list. He played great on Monday, especially considering he has only been in Calgary for a week and has not played real football for several years. Not only did Sankey go 19 of 25 for 264 yds and 2 td's in the second half, he showed tremendous ability to escape the pass rush.

It is surprising that a QB with that much ability was banished from the CFL and was playing Arena3 football, until Wally/Bob O'Billovich called him up and ressurrected his career. It may be unfortunate that we let him get away. Considering the dearth of competant QB's in pro-football today, I will guarantee Sankey will be signed to a nice contract in the CFL next season.
Hard to hold the entire basket of eggs at QB for the league, but remember Sankey was our fifth QB in the order of progression, so he wasn't likely to stick around for next season either.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Charisma matters. Gut instincts matter. Completion percentage in a similar or matching offensive system at a different level of play is important also.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A player's coach

CanWest News Service

Published: Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Injured Lions pivot Dave Dickenson says no one knows quarterbacks like coach Wally Buono.

"I think Wally's got a purrfect plan for bringing quarterbacks along," said Dickenson. "He hasn't rushed a guy. Everyone says Casey (Printers) just came on the scene. Well, he was there the entire year before he played. He had a chance to see how the other guys worked and went from there."
Dickenson would know. He has seen it all with Wally Buono. Dave D did not always get everything his way with Buono, but Dave recognizes Wally's special talent in bringing along QBs.

It has been a topic much discussed in CFL circles this week, as the league recognizes that, wow, Wally has "found" another one, Jarious Jackson. Yep, he has. More than a few people think JJ is the best QB in the CFL at this particular time, myself included.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: It has been a topic much discussed in CFL circles this week, as the league recognizes that, wow, Wally has "found" another one, Jarious Jackson. Yep, he has. More than a few people think JJ is the best QB in the CFL at this particular time, myself included.
You know, I'll still take Glenn, because he's working within the confines of a more fully developed system that suits his skill set a little more fully.

And now, it's going to seem like I'm contradicting myself, but I'll say that from a coaching and teammate intangibles position, JJ's in a better place.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

What I find amazing is how DURABILITY has become front and center when evaluating QB's in the CFL.........it doesn't matter how talented a QB is (any position for that matter), if he spends an inordinate amount of time on the IR, his value is greatly diminished.

IMHO, Durability will be the deciding factor for how the Lions go into the 2008 season.
Lloyd
Blitz
Team Captain

Durability will be the deciding factor for how the Lions go into the 2008 season.
It's going to be an important consideration, for sure Shi Zi Mi!!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:What I find amazing is how DURABILITY has become front and center when evaluating QB's in the CFL........
It sure has. The QBs in the CFL have been dropping like flies this year.

I noticed how the Lions have been moving towards larger, more durable type QBs lately.

Jarious is a rock. Gino is huge. Even Sankey was large and sturdy.

As usual, Buono leads the new trend in the CFL: quarterback durability, along with their other QB attributes.

Durability has always been an essential ingredient for a top CFL running back. Part of it is knowing how to protect themselves, how to fall, etc. Joe Smith and Ian Smart have demonstrated this very well. Even Antonio Warren had it. Now it has become a valued component of QBs as well.