Hypocrisy at it's best

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:49 am
Location: Osler, SK

Hypocrisy at it's best

You know, I called into a opinion poll this morning --- Who are you cheering for - Stamps/Riders. Of course, being a Lions fan, I said Stamps. The announcers gave me a hard time for being a Lions fan as everyone does here. They are always telling me that I live in Saskatchewa now, my loyalties should be with the Riders. It just struck me that Rider fans are constantly bragging of all their fans across the country (due to the mass exodus of Saskatchewanians). How come Saskatchewan people are supposed to stay loyal to the Riders when they move, but I am supposed to switch my allegiances when I moved from BC to here?

Just thought I would let you guys ponder on that for awhile. :sigh:


QB#9
Starter
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:58 pm
Location: Section 46

You have all the right to cheer for the lions. It's what makes the league that much more entertaining. I have friends here who are Edmonton fans and we've developed quite the friendly rivalry. Good on you to stay loyal to the pride. Stay strong.


User avatar
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3568
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:57 pm
Location: Port Moody

keep reminding of 1989. lol
ask em what the score of last years final was?


2012 Season Ticket Holder
User avatar
B.C.FAN
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11107
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Re: Hypocrisy at it's best

#1 Lions Fan in SK wrote: You know, I called into a opinion poll this morning --- Who are you cheering for - Stamps/Riders. Of course, being a Lions fan, I said Stamps. The announcers gave me a hard time for being a Lions fan as everyone does here. They are always telling me that I live in Saskatchewa now, my loyalties should be with the Riders. It just struck me that Rider fans are constantly bragging of all their fans across the country (due to the mass exodus of Saskatchewanians). How come Saskatchewan people are supposed to stay loyal to the Riders when they move, but I am supposed to switch my allegiances when I moved from BC to here?

Just thought I would let you guys ponder on that for awhile. :sigh:
I'm trying to ponder why a Saskatchewan radio station would have poll in the first place asking listeners whether they were cheering for the Stamps or Riders. You probably made their day by expressing a different point of view.


User avatar
Don Miller
Legend
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:52 pm
Location: Chilliwack

Other than mosquitoes and wheat what else have they got to talk about? Not everyone contrary to people in Saskatchewan are Rider fans. I used to go to the games there and cheer for everyone else except Edmonton. They don't have anything else to cheer for except maybe the Pats and heck the Giants and the Bruins can beat them. There is no doubt that the Lions biggest nemisis is the Riders especially at Mosaic Taylor Field. Good for you to cheer for Calgary. We need to take of business tomorrow nite and then set the stage for the biggest game of the year next week in Regina. That big S on the their helmets doesn't just mean Sask!


Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
User avatar
mws
Starter
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

I've been living in Toronto since '84 and I have never stopped cheering for my Leos. Besides, it'd be pretty boring without some opposition in the stands. Remember, there are only two types of fans...Lions fans and those who wish they were.
Keep up the Lion Pride.


TheLionKing
Hall of Famer
Posts: 24047
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:13 pm
Location: Vancouver

I was in Regina on some business earlier this year. You should see the reaction when I was walking around with my #82 Jason Clermont jersey. Overhead a couple of people talking about getting Clermont for next season. Guess the proverbial saying about not counting your chickens apply here. :lol:


User avatar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3795
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I love to point out to my GF, who is originally from Regina and still a Riders fan, that all those Riders fans that show up at BC Place when the Riders play the Lions, are financially supporting the Lions. If they where real Rider supporters, they would fly to Regina for Riders games and show their support with their wallets in Regina.


bbking
Starter
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:37 pm

DanoT wrote:I love to point out to my GF, who is originally from Regina and still a Riders fan, that all those Riders fans that show up at BC Place when the Riders play the Lions, are financially supporting the Lions. If they where real Rider supporters, they would fly to Regina for Riders games and show their support with their wallets in Regina.

Thats beautiful Dano. I will definitly have to try that next time an annoying saskatechewan fan is hooting and hollering louder that the entire section they are sittting in (which seems to be always). When I casually say:" Thanks for financially suporting our lions team by buying a ticket ,come again." The look on their face will be worth the price of addmission for me. :lol:


User avatar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3795
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Yeah, tell those Rider fans that they are helping to pay for Clermont's new large salary with the Lions.


bbking
Starter
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:37 pm

DanoT wrote:Yeah, tell those Rider fans that they are helping to pay for Clermont's new large salary with the Lions.


Oh man thats too mean !......... . :shock: :lol:


#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:49 am
Location: Osler, SK

That's funny! I've had a blast the last couple of days. It's amazing how some people that I talk to are already giving up on them and saying the Riders aren't even worth watching anymore. That's quite the switch from two weeks ago! :lol:


wildthing
All Star
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: EDMONTON

bbking wrote:
DanoT wrote:I love to point out to my GF, who is originally from Regina and still a Riders fan, that all those Riders fans that show up at BC Place when the Riders play the Lions, are financially supporting the Lions. If they where real Rider supporters, they would fly to Regina for Riders games and show their support with their wallets in Regina.

Thats beautiful Dano. I will definitly have to try that next time an annoying saskatechewan fan is hooting and hollering louder that the entire section they are sittting in (which seems to be always). When I casually say:" Thanks for financially suporting our lions team by buying a ticket ,come again." The look on their face will be worth the price of addmission for me. :lol:
Naw what you seem to forget is that if these fans of the Riders didn't come to the tomb in BC your stadium would be half empty :twisted: , we are the best fans because we support the Riders and the CFL accross the country thus allowing other teams to actually exist, rather than fold because of no ticket sales.

In all seriousness though, support your team no matter where you are I refuse to change alliegences just because I live away from Saskatchewan so why should any one else. I refuse to buy season tickets in Edmonton as that is full support to the Esks, but I will buy to watch the Riders even though the esks get the money, my measly couple hundred bucks for 2 games isn't going to make or break them.


bbking
Starter
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:37 pm

wildthing wrote
[/ quote] Naw what you seem to forget is that if these fans of the Riders didn't come to the tomb in BC your stadium would be half empty :twisted: , we are the best fans because we support the Riders and the CFL accross the country thus allowing other teams to actually exist, rather than fold because of no ticket sales.[/quote]

Yes there is no denying rider pride is alive and well across the nation .Too bad Rider pride doesnt extend to the old Rough Riders (renegades) :bang: .See If you guys can help fill the stadium in Ottawa next time they try to reestablish thier franchise. :rockin: OH ,and yes BC place stadium can be tomb like, because the lions tend to bury the other team. :lol:


User avatar
LFITQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 10263
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:36 pm
Location: Prince George, BC
Contact:

I refuse to buy season tickets in Edmonton as that is full support to the Esks
I guess I just look at it differently. If I were living in any other CFL city I would be buying season tickets to those teams no problem. I see it not necessarily as supporting the hated rival, but as supporting the League as a whole. Without my butt in the seat, that team may fold and thus I wouldn't get the privilege of watching my Leos when they came to town. Now it doesn't mean I would buy Eskies (or other teams) paraphernalia - as I look up from my monitor and see my Eskies jersey, but that is a different story - but I would still buy the tickets and I would still go to the games. Part of the reason I guess for me though, is that I enjoy CFL football in general and could watch any team any time - and in fact have.

So yeah, I would buy those season tickets regardless if I lived in my team's town or not (I would, like wildthing says, also keep my allegiance to the Lions), but that's me, I live 8 hours away from Vancouver and still own season tickets to the Lions. To each their own.


Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Post Reply