Rob Murphy likely going to NFL ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

swervin wrote:Weak, he bums around the nfl for 6 years and still cant take the hint that he's not really wanted down there. Some people will never learn.
How is this weak? Bummed around? He did enough time down there to command a certain NFL salary, and an NFL pension? Who are you to decide whether he's wanted down there or not?

This is his living, his family, his life. Because you say so he shouldn't try and do what's in his best interest? He made no bones about his stint here. He was looking to get noticed down south. He did so and apparently did it quite well.

All the best to Rob, and if it doesn't work out he's certainly welcome back here.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Yeah - kudos to Rob for his play in the CFL and good luck to him if he tries the NFL again; however, while the "welcome back here" thing is probably pretty certain, if I'm a CFL GM or HC, I'd make it quite clear to guys who are going to leave that we aren't just going to hold your job for you and that there are other good football players out there, we will be trying our damndest to find them and if you get cut from the NFL, don't just expect to show back up and be handed your starting job back cause we much prefer players who are dedicated to this TEAM and have been around from day one of TC; good football teams can find quality players thru free agency the draft or trades, and Murphy leaving opens the door for some other guys at the position - they might find somebody as good or better and IMO it's a weak CFL team that counts on NFL cuts to upgrade their roster in September or later, and handing a player his job back after he bailed on the team - for whatever reason - would be something that a wise GM might stress is very unlikely to happen; sort of a matter of principle thing that a CFL team might adopt - might have little bearing on a player's decision and of course guys will want to go for the big bucks and prestige of the NFL, but OTOH it might make the player think twice and it might also send a positive message to other players who have been working hard for the team from day one of TC and also demonstate some integrity on the team's and CFL's part.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm sure Buono has given Bob O'Billovich his wish list for next season. Right at the very top is a left tackle.
Rammer
Team Captain

I find this interesting from Ullrich today on Murphy....
Ullrich wrote:He said he'd come back this year, but only after renegotiating the option year upward with coach Wally Buono, who returns to work next week.

"Wally knows that," said Murphy, who even threw out the hint of a trade option. "And I'm sure that if he didn't want to do something he'd find I would have a lot of value with other [CFL] teams. There's a lot to figure out right now, and we're just getting started."
To me, also given Murphy's approach to the NFL option window, it sounds as if he is drawing his line in the sand for Wally. This may sound optimistic, but I think that if Wally can afford his demands or if they are realistic, Murphy could end back up in the Lions den for 07.

His price tag of $720K in the NFL may make it difficult for him to land employment, although according to the article, only $450K are associated with the NFL Cap rules. Add to that he expects a signing bonus, and will only sign if his chances are better than 50/50, and he ahs painted a very limited window of opportunity for himself via the NFL.

So going back to the quote, he seems to be making it clear that he expects to be paid well for his services and is using the interest he would garner from other CFL teams as his leverage. Now I hope that the Lions can meet somewhere on salary that both sides can agree upon, although the SMS may factor into the equation now.

At least I am a little more optimistic about his return than I was when it was initially noted of his intent to return to the NFL.
Entertainment value = an all time low
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

The encouraging thing here is he still wants to play football, and that is clear. Having other options as well it was noted he may just concentrate on his real estate business and start a family.

The good thing is the Lions still hold hid CFL rights, so we have a say if he wants to come back to the CFL.

He was a valuable piece and he knows it. I just hope he understands what "well paid" in the CFL means. :thup:
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I thought I read he would come back to B.C. for $150,000 which is right where Flory re-signed for in Montreal.

The Lions do already have their share of players in this price range and two OL starters that are at or right around six figures.
But Wally would be saving some money should he decide not to re-sign Kidd or Thelwell and goes with cheaper starters (Johnson & Colon).

We will find out what are his priorities.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Maybe there is still hope that Murphy will remain a Lion. :cr: :cr:
Blitz
Team Captain

Maybe there is still hope that Murphy will remain a Lion.
I would be in heaven if the Leos could get Murphy back here for next year!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
maddeep73
Champion

Is it me or was the offensive line the best positional upgrade from '05 to '06? They need to make Murphy a priority and keep that unit intact.

Generally familiarity is a huge key for offensive lines. The good ones have 6 or 7 guys who know each other from years of service side to side.
Keepin' it real
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There is no doubt that the offensive line was the most improved unit from 2005 with the addition of Murphy and Jimenez
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:There is no doubt that the offensive line was the most improved unit from 2005 with the addition of Murphy and Jimenez
OL
DL
DB
RB

improved in that order with the QB and R sets remaining at a nice level. Perhaps even the LB group also made an overall improvement as Glatt figured out the position beyond expectations as the season wore on.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Has anyone heard any word on whether Rob Murphy has worked out with any NFL teams? I tried an internet search to see what I could find out. While I couldn't find anything, I did come across this interesting OSU thread on Rob; mostly cut-and-pasted articles from CFL beat writers but it shows how revered he is out there!

link here

I'd really like Wally to lock him up long term. We need some stability at left tackle and I loved his grit, tenacity, and mean streak - something that's been sorely lacking.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Has anyone heard any word on whether Rob Murphy has worked out with any NFL teams?
According to a Lowell Ullrich article early this month, Murphy worked out for Tampa Bay. I haven't heard of anything since then.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

How do you work out an offensive lineman in the off-season? I guess you can measure bench press, squat, etc., and get a physical, but for the big boys up front it's pretty tough to get a feel for how they will perform until you see them in live contact drills. Other than that, you are really relying on film and gut instinct.

Once again, it's the age old story when it comes to the NFL -- if they are truly serious about you, they'll offer you a significant signing bonus. If the signing bonus is minimal to non-existent, then you are destined to be a training camp mullet, getting cut in late August when it's time to get the first team guys some reps.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Blitz
Team Captain

Rob Murphy is the best offensive lineman to play for the Leos in their entire history. That is not a statement I make lightly and I recognize it was only for one season. The guy never gave up a single sack and created an entirely different 'attitude' towards offensive line play on the Leos.

Murphy, as Lionut says, will wait and see if he gets a significant signing bonus from an NFL club. He's sure to draw lots of interest with his CFL Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman Award.

Murphy won't be replaced if he heads south but Farrow did play well in his one start for the Leos and they are likely looking for other import offensive tackles to bring in. It's such a critical position, especially if we want to keep our quarterbacks healthy!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)