Lowry Signs

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

His rights were picked up by the Bombers and he has signed a contract for the 07 season. I will never figure why he was let go and wasn't signed right away last season, but Foley and Pottinger were solid in their roles, it just shows how deep we were last season talent wise.
Entertainment value = an all time low
OV - 54:40
Champion

What i can't figure is why the 2 Alberta teams, with probably the biggest question marks / least depth at interior linebacker in the whole league, and with Lowry playing right in their backyard, would not sign him for a shot? A lot of bizzarre moves in the CFL, seems to me at times, with regards to the NI talent pool;
the Bombers have Simpson at MLB and McKinlay as a very good back-up - i guess it's always good to have capable special teams aces + position depth and linebackers are often good ST gunners - Pottinger and Foley were factors there for the Lions, but how long will they hang around the roster with little prospect to start on D (and earn a much better CFL paycheque)? No room on the Lions roster for Lowry with Glatt, Pottinger and Johnson at MLB; i guess Lowry will have to make his mark as a Bomber special teamer; kinda odd maybe though that top young Canadian propsects (especially defensive guys it seems - like McKinlay, Pottinger, Foley, Robede, Troy Cunningham and maybe Lowry too) often get drafted / end up on CFL teams that already have established starters and good depth at their positions while other CFL teams seem to have glaring holes at those spots.
Good for the teams that acquire young talent for STs and depth, but dumb on the part of teams that passed on these players - but i guess if the players are good enough, they will eventually emerge with playing time somewhere in the CFL? :?
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

I think Edmonton feel like they got burned on taking a flier on Neil Ternovatsky, the other veteran linebacker from the U of A.

Lowry came into camp last year nursing shin splints which reduced his effectiveness. Noticed it especially on his drops into pass coverage when he was playingh MLB in exhibition last year.

Lowry also didn't have as dominant of a season as you might expect out of a 5th year guy in Alberta last year. Dan Bass Jr. stepped up as more of a playmaker at LB.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
David
Team Captain

Have to profess that I haven't watched enough of Lowry but I always thought foot speed and coverage abilities were problems for him at the pro level. Wally Buono is a pretty good judge of talent - especially for linebackers. If he cut him and no one picked him up there must be a good reason.

As for Foley, he still has his heart on making an NFL roster - even if it's just for special teams, so unless he has a change of heart I wouldn't expect to see him here long term.

DH 8)
Last edited by David on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

Jim Mullin wrote:I think Edmonton feel like they got burned on taking a flier on Neil Ternovatsky, the other veteran linebacker from the U of A.

Lowry came into camp last year nursing shin splints which reduced his effectiveness. Noticed it especially on his drops into pass coverage when he was playingh MLB in exhibition last year.

Lowry also didn't have as dominant of a season as you might expect out of a 5th year guy in Alberta last year. Dan Bass Jr. stepped up as more of a playmaker at LB.
Didn'
t they move Lowry out of his LB position, to another?

Also if Lowry wasn't as good in his second TC as his first which is what I understand, he doesn't get much of a chance with Wally who expects noticeable improvement in your second TC.

I hope that he catches on and does well with the Bombers.
Champion

David wrote:Have to profess that I haven't watched enough of Lowry but I always thought foot speed and coverage abilities were problems for him at the pro level. Wally Buono is a pretty good judge of talent - especially for linebackers. If he cut him and no one picked him up there must be a good reason.

As for Foley, he still has his heart on making an NFL roster - even if it's just for special teams, so unless he has a change of heart I wouldn't expect to see him here long term.

DH 8)
I seem to recall reading a post somewhere on one of these type forums from Jedrock (does he still post here?) - who coached Lowry at U of A - where he spoke quite highly of Lowry and seemed to suggest he might be able to play in the CFL at either MLB or even as a DE (sorry can't provide a link and don't want to mis-quote a guy, that's just how i recall it). Maybe he didn't do well in Lions' TC but i wouldn't take that as some be all / end all "good reason" indicator of his football ability as pro football history is full of examples of teams' missing out on players and them emerging as quality players somewhere else down the road - maybe Lowry can make the most of another shot in Winnipeg; and i wasn't intending to imply the guy is a can't miss CFL star defender, the topic just made me think of how often it seems top young Canadian defensive prospects (maybe mostly guys from a CIS background) end up on CFL teams where they are behind established vets and end up playing STs mostly, WHILE other CFL teams have big holes or weakness where some of these guys might be able to be starting on defence - the Argos starting Jeff Keeping - who was a tight end in CIS ball and supposedly drafted as an O-line prospect for them - at defensive tackle and their D getting continually exposed as weak against the run is a glaring example - and meanwhile dominant, repeat all-star DTs from CIS ball like Robede (drafted 1st overall) or Gottselig sit on the bench or don't even make a CFL roster. Plenty of CFL teams have had weakness or question marks at MLB but top prospects like McKinlay, Lowry or Pottinger end up on teams where they will have little shot to contribute there.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:His rights were picked up by the Bombers and he has signed a contract for the 07 season. I will never figure why he was let go and wasn't signed right away last season, but Foley and Pottinger were solid in their roles, it just shows how deep we were last season talent wise.
He was signed by the eskimos, and they cut him too. Obviously we were way too high on the guy. After his first camp where he looked good I found him to look slow and unimpressive.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Rammer
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:
David wrote:Have to profess that I haven't watched enough of Lowry but I always thought foot speed and coverage abilities were problems for him at the pro level. Wally Buono is a pretty good judge of talent - especially for linebackers. If he cut him and no one picked him up there must be a good reason.

DH 8)
I seem to recall reading a post somewhere on one of these type forums from Jedrock (does he still post here?) - who coached Lowry at U of A - where he spoke quite highly of Lowry and seemed to suggest he might be able to play in the CFL at either MLB or even as a DE (sorry can't provide a link and don't want to mis-quote a guy, that's just how i recall it). Maybe he didn't do well in Lions' TC but i wouldn't take that as some be all / end all "good reason" indicator of his football ability as pro football history is full of examples of teams' missing out on players and them emerging as quality players somewhere else down the road - maybe Lowry can make the most of another shot in Winnipeg; and i wasn't intending to imply the guy is a can't miss CFL star defender, the topic just made me think of how often it seems top young Canadian defensive prospects (maybe mostly guys from a CIS background) end up on CFL teams where they are behind established vets and end up playing STs mostly, WHILE other CFL teams have big holes or weakness where some of these guys might be able to be starting on defence - the Argos starting Jeff Keeping - who was a tight end in CIS ball and supposedly drafted as an O-line prospect for them - at defensive tackle and their D getting continually exposed as weak against the run is a glaring example - and meanwhile dominant, repeat all-star DTs from CIS ball like Robede (drafted 1st overall) or Gottselig sit on the bench or don't even make a CFL roster. Plenty of CFL teams have had weakness or question marks at MLB but top prospects like McKinlay, Lowry or Pottinger end up on teams where they will have little shot to contribute there.
Jedrock is still around, but has much more involvement with CIS and the Eskimos now, so has less time to give input on the sites. I don't recall him suggesting that Lowry was a DE potential, but that he played OLB after having played MLB at the U of A.
Champion

You can read Jedrock's comments on Lowry by going to the memberlist archive here - sorry, don't know how to import it to this thread; he spoke pretty highly of Lowry but not surprising for a coach to be positive about a player who he's tutored and watched. I don't recall the Esks signing and cutting Lowry - OS99 - when was that? - was he at Lions' 06 TC?
Rammer
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:
Rammer wrote:His rights were picked up by the Bombers and he has signed a contract for the 07 season. I will never figure why he was let go and wasn't signed right away last season, but Foley and Pottinger were solid in their roles, it just shows how deep we were last season talent wise.
He was signed by the eskimos, and they cut him too. Obviously we were way too high on the guy. After his first camp where he looked good I found him to look slow and unimpressive.
He wasn't signed by the Esks, might be someone else you have in mind.
Rammer
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:You can read Jedrock's comments on Lowry by going to the memberlist archive here - sorry, don't know how to import it to this thread; he spoke pretty highly of Lowry but not surprising for a coach to be positive about a player who he's tutored and watched. I don't recall the Esks signing and cutting Lowry - OS99 - when was that? - was he at Lions' 06 TC?
zJust cut and paste....
JedRock wrote: I coached lowry at the U of A last season. We moved him from weakside outside to Mac this year and he did not miss a beat.. I also taught him everything I know about technical pass rush and he soaked it all up like a sponge. Dave is quick enough to play outside linebacker and he is physical enough to play inside. Dave has a mean streak and he is not afraid to get dirty if he has to.. Dave has great feet and he plays with good leverage. He has a very good grasp of the game and I believe he will have no trouble stepping right in and playing whether it is as a starter inside or just running down and creating problems on specials. I believe Dave has more upside than Javy Glatt does because Dave is very good at rushing the passer in addition to being adept at coverage.

Dave is 6'3" and goes about 245 and runs a legit 4.6-4.7...

Dave's frame is such that if he absolutely had to he could bulk up and play d-end in a pinch..

I have absolutely no clue why the Eskimos let him slip away to you guys.. I have a feeling they will live to regret it for many years down the road... I hate to lose Dave this year to you guys... But I have another guy coming in who just might be alright.. His name? Dan Bass, Jr. Wink
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

If he wasn't signed he was brought in for a look. I remember discussing it with Eskinator.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Jedrock43

Dave has battled through severe shin splints/stress fractures for the past three years. Last year he hardly practiced for us (U of A) at all towards the end of the year- he just suited up for games.

If he can ever get over that he will be a sure fire pro..

We used him as the sam linebacker in our 3-4 this past year and he did really well. The sam backer in our scheme rushes the passer about 60 % of the time. Dave was probably our second best pass rusher.

If Dave can get healthy he will play. I don't know if he can pull it off. His body keeps betraying him.

I still stand by my original post- we were sure happy to see Dave come back. Dave at 60% was still better than most backers in the Canada West.