Who should be the Lions top priority to re-sign?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who should be the Lions top priority to re-sign?

Otis Floyd
20%
Tyrone Williams
68%
Ryan Thelwell
13%

Total votes: 40
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A good article by Lowell Ullrich in today's Province regarding some tough decisions ahead for Wally. The team currently has nine players headed for FA agency at the end of the season and Wally has already conceeded the team will be letting some of them go.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... 2d12767e28

The three biggest names are Otis Floyd, Tyrone Williams and Ryan Thelwell. All have been key contributors for at least the past couple of seasons.
Floyd, however, hinted he might want to play east next season, while Williams and Thelwell are both 33.

While Wally has made progress with McKay-Loescher and Lyle Green, there has been no talks with any of the three.

So if Wally signed just one .... who should it be?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally sure knows how to motivate his players.

That is reminescent of a 1960s management style when a very well known international company would kick off the annual manager's meeting by telling them this "Take a look around you to your left and right because XXXX of them won't be here this time next year".
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Last year I would have said Otis Floyd....hands down. But I think alot of his success came from playing beside B51.
This year, and even though I thought he was an allstar last year, I would say Ty Williams. He is constantly double teamed and really is a quite a load. His play really has helped others step their game up too. And I believe he should be rewarded with a fair contract.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Man that's a toughie, but I went with TW as well. This guy has been an understated monster this year (and last year). I'd hate to see any of them go, but I definitely think TW's the keeper if I had to choose.
Real women wear orange!!
crburrows
Champion

I voted for Williams, but I'd definitely like to see Mackay-Loescher back.

He's tough, gritty, and should be a starter soon.

Also, I've got his 2005 helmet!
jim604
All Star

tough, but ill take Tyrone Williams.

last year i would have took floyd too. if he goes east we have JJ waiting for his chance as a starter.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I would say if they could have just one, they should take the one hardest to replace. Who is behind each one on the depth chart now? What free agents are expected to be available at each position? Who might they draft? etc.

In short, right now, cant pick just one
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rick James
Legend

Otis Floyd should be a priority. So should Williams, but I don't see Big T leaving any time soon. I believe he lives in Washington State and has stated many times that he loves playing here. Otis on the other hand, would take some convincing and some $$$ to keep around. Wally should zero in on him.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Part of the signings should also depend on who the Lions have waiting in the wings.

With Otis Floyd you have to look at guys like Jamal Johnson who could take his spot. But at the same time you have to figure where Carl Kidd will be next year as well. Then we also have Pottinger and possibly Foley (to a smaller degree) to fill holes. not to mention what other diamonds in the rough we can scout out. John Grace might be wanting to make a comeback.

On DT there picking might be a bit slimmer. We seem to have some depth at DE but not necessarily so at DT. As such I would think trying to find a replacement for Williams would be much more difficult. So this is where my priority would go.

Thelwell, a good CDN receiver. But realistically - what other team woudl employ him. I know he's Quesdad's fave and rightly so. I don't want to take anything away from what Thelwell brings but I just don't see him having much interest from other teams. He fits well with the Lions. The question now just becomes if he deserves a pay raise, a pay cut or stay the course. Depending on how the numbers crunch, I think Thelwell might be fine with staying the course and re-sign with the Lions. Also at receiver, the Lions have been trying out new players this year (mainly due to injury necessity) so there may be some young blood wanting to push for the position. So once again, is that a position of urgent need? I don't think so.

So of the 3 options, IMO Williams would be the priority to sign because it leaves us with the biggest hole to fill should he leave.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:Part of the signings should also depend on who the Lions have waiting in the wings.

With Otis Floyd you have to look at guys like Jamal Johnson who could take his spot. But at the same time you have to figure where Carl Kidd will be next year as well. Then we also have Pottinger and possibly Foley (to a smaller degree) to fill holes. not to mention what other diamonds in the rough we can scout out. John Grace might be wanting to make a comeback.

On DT there picking might be a bit slimmer. We seem to have some depth at DE but not necessarily so at DT. As such I would think trying to find a replacement for Williams would be much more difficult. So this is where my priority would go.

Thelwell, a good CDN receiver. But realistically - what other team woudl employ him. I know he's Quesdad's fave and rightly so. I don't want to take anything away from what Thelwell brings but I just don't see him having much interest from other teams. He fits well with the Lions. The question now just becomes if he deserves a pay raise, a pay cut or stay the course. Depending on how the numbers crunch, I think Thelwell might be fine with staying the course and re-sign with the Lions. Also at receiver, the Lions have been trying out new players this year (mainly due to injury necessity) so there may be some young blood wanting to push for the position. So once again, is that a position of urgent need? I don't think so.

So of the 3 options, IMO Williams would be the priority to sign because it leaves us with the biggest hole to fill should he leave.
I knew someone else would say it better than I did :yes: :thup:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:Part of the signings should also depend on who the Lions have waiting in the wings.

Agreed on all accounts and on the Thelwell version will offer this in addition.....he is going to be pushed to earn that starting position with the Paris Jackson now ready to step up and the forgotten one Boden in the wings still. It is going to be a tough decision on Thelwell
Last edited by Rammer on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:But realistically - what other team woudl employ him. I know he's Quesdad's fave and rightly so. I don't want to take anything away from what Thelwell brings but I just don't see him having much interest from other teams.
I agree with most of what you said Ken, but I can't accept that some teams won't find Ryan Thelwell an attractive FA.

I know he seems firmly entrenched here on the Coast and it's hard to imagine him in another uniform, but I'd have a hard time believing a team like Hamilton wouldn't find Ryan and his YAC ability an extremely attractive free agent - especially given that he's Canadian and hails from nearby London Ontario (I would imagine Morreale is going to hang 'em up soon and Thelwell is head and shoulders above Ralph).

Given their on-field troubles this season one would suspect they'd be going hard at landing quality free agents, especially given their extreme weakness at receiver. Aside from David Azzi, Toronto isn't exactly oozing non-import Canadian depth at receiver either.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote: Aside from David Azzi, Toronto isn't exactly oozing non-import Canadian depth at receiver either.DH 8)
Neither are the Bombers or even the Eskimos for that matter. I actually think because of the ratio and his reliability in recent years, Thelwell would attract the most interest.

The Eskimos or Argos could sign him and it would give both a chance to shore up their offensive lines by starting another import.
CB123
Legend

All three!
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Rammer
Team Captain

Going to say that Ottawa is a distinct possibility also....
Entertainment value = an all time low