Top Ten from one hundred games

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The Lions' next home game against the Eskimos represents a personal milestone for me. It will be the 100th football game (reg season/playoff/Grey Cup -- I don't count preseasons) I will have seen at BC Place. That roster includes the 1994 Grey Cup, two reg season games from 1995, and then everything since the start of 1996 (except that year's home opener vs Edmonton -- just before I moved to Vancouver -- and one game in August 1997 vs Calgary for which I was out of town on vacation), including all the postseason games (3 WFs & 2 GCs).

Anyway, to mark this milestone I thought I'd post a list of my Top Ten BC Place memories, with "memories" being the operative word. That means in compiling this list, I made no use of any archival material to assist in the details. Since this is a list of memories, I felt that doing so would be pointless -- if I have to look it up, then it can't be very memorable, and if I'm just regurgitating something I read on some website, then I may as well not have been at the game in the first place.

So, at the risk of getting some of the facts wrong or incomplete, or being boring, everything on this list is my best recollection from witnessing it in person at one of these 100 games. I encourage anyone to correct and/or expand upon my recollections where appropriate, and to even post some of your favourite moments of BC Place. Also, with my use of the word "memories", that means that each item on this list is not necessarily a "classic game", but is simply in and of itself a memorable happening. This list is presented in no particular order, except for the last three which for me are no-brainers at #3, #2 and #1 respectively.

So, without further ado, here are SJ-Roc's Top Ten Memories from 100 Games at BC Place:

10. Mike Pringle succeeds George Reed as the CFL's rushing king in September 2004. There was a bit of drama leading up to this game because in the previous week, Pringle came very close to breaking the record in the Labour Day rematch against Calgary at Commonwealth. The game was lopsided in its outcome (Calgary won in a blowout IIRC) but Edmonton had the ball for the last possession and handed off to Pringle three times. Of course everyone in the building, including the Stamps defence, knew what was going on and the Stamps were able to hold Pringle two yards short of the record. He promptly got the needed yardage on the first offensive series here against us the following week, and the game was interrupted briefly for a presentation.

9. Damon Allen becomes the CFL's alltime passing yardage leader in October 2000. The record was announced on the PA as being officially broken on a long TD pass to Alfred Jackson, but it in fact had been done earlier in that offensive series (no doubt they didn't want to kill the offence's momentum as the scoring drive mounted). In a strange twist of fate, the man who Allen surpassed, former Ottawa & Sask QB Ron Lancaster, was on the opposite sideline as head coach of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats that night. I clearly remember that this happened late in the 2000 season, because Lui Passaglia had only recently announced his upcoming retirement. In conversation at that time with friends, we noted that, as special as Allen's looming record breaking night would be, it would be somewhat of a shame if Allen "upstaged" Lui in his milestone final game at BC Place. Fortunately, that didn't happen, and both had their own milestone nights (see #3 below).

8. The phantom victory against the Stamps in late 2004 when they were denied a legitimate game-winning TD on an onside punt on the last play of the game. I was in Section 9 that night near the Calgary bench and got a great view of Dunigan tossing his cap in disgust and arguing with the officials. This was almost certainly one of the plays which triggered the recent adoption of video replay.

7. September 14, 1996. In just one of a series of horrendous scheduling moves in the 1996 Skalbanian reign of error, the Lions were slotted in BC Place on the same day as the deciding game of the best of three final in the World Cup of Hockey between Canada and the US. The hockey game was scheduled to start about two hours before the Lions kicked off, so, accepting that most potential ticket buyers would choose hockey, the Lions staff arranged to have the gates opened in time for the opening faceoff and broadcasted the hockey game in its entirety on the concourse TVs. As we all well know, the US won that game, by a 5-2 score -- but back to football. The 1996 Lions were one of the sorrier squads in franchise history, and it must surely have been at least a little demoralising for them to have most of the few fans who came to the stadium that day preoccupied with hockey. All the worse, they were up against the Doug Flutie-led Argos, who were en route to the CFL's first back-to-back Grey Cups since 1982. No one gave the Lions much chance on this day, but damned if they didn't show up to play. The Lions scored a TD before the hockey game was over and on top of that, didn't let the Argos score any of their own in a convincing win. One of the few bright spots on a 5-13 season.

6. Summer 2003: the Calgary Stampeders' first post-Buono trip to BC Place. The Lions thumped the hapless visitors to the tune of 48-4, a pasting which included a late TD drive led by then-3rd string QB and future league MVP Casey Printers. This night will be remembered by many of the faithful on here, myself included, for what happened immediately afterward: one of the most ill-informed, idiotic ramblings in the history of sports talk radio.

5. Summer 2002: the Montreal Alouettes come to town. As was their custom at the time, they came in sporting an undefeated record, one that looked to remain intact as QB Anthony Calvillo led his charges inside the Lions' 5 late in the 4th quarter. Up by six points with about 1:30 to go, another TD would have all but insured victory. But DB Tony Walker picks off an errant pass just outside our goal line, setting our offence up at our own 1-yd line and needing a TD to win. On the first play, Damon Allen throws an incompletion, but then comes the next play. He throws a strike to Alfred "Action" Jackson who is at the 25yd line, a good five yards behind the coverage. Everyone in the building, knowing that it's now only a foot race to the end zone, springs to their feet, cheering madly. Jackson starts to run out of gas near the Mtl 20, but stutter steps near the sideline around the one defender who was able to catch up to him, and scampers the rest of the way for the go-ahead major. The TD was scored so quickly that the Als had plenty of time to mount a comeback drive, but Calvillo threw another pick to Eric Carter who ran it back for another TD. The 109yd TD pass from Allen to Jackson, however, is the highlight on this night.

4. 1999: during the Greg Mohns era, it didn't matter if the Lions were good, bad or indifferent -- there was seldom a dull moment, on or off the field. One of the more bizarre on-field incidents: Wally Buono, still coaching the Stampeders at the time, is ejected for contacting/arguing with an official. I was seated in the lower deck section 7 that night, which Wally had to venture past on his walk of shame. He got quite a razzing in the process. And when I got home to see the highlights, the forlorn look of Buono watching the end of the game from just outside the dressing rooms was unforgettable.

3. 2000 regular season closer, "Luv Ya Lui" night. Lui Passaglia's last game at BC Place had a number of memorable moments. The stadium lights were extinguished during a TV timeout in the 2nd half to beam a "Luv Ya Lui, thanks for the memories" message on the ceiling. Unfortunately, they weren't able to get the lights back on in time to resume play, and the game was delayed 20 minutes, during which a small number of streakers ran onto the field. Late in the game, Lui was put in at QB with the offence lined up on the one yard line, goal to go. He scored the only rushing TD of his career on this play, against howls of protest from the opposition Saskatchewan Roughriders, who claimed he was tandem blocked into the end zone by his teammates. Even though the Lions won that night, centre Jamie Taras was ejected in the late stages of the game for some ungentlemanly conduct, and was among several of the folks who gave tribute speeches in a postgame ceremony. He apologised to Lui, the rest of his teammates and to the fans for the ejection which "could have cost us the game", and then pleaded with Lui to bring his "tired old bones" out for another Grey Cup run. We had just finished the regular season with a losing 8-10 record, so I thought JT was crazy. But wouldn't you know it, just like 1994, they pulled out another postseason trifecta en route to what must be regarded one of the most improbable championships in league history. About the only thing that prevents me from ranking this item higher is that the attendance was not as high as the next two, and that it was a regular season game.

2. 2004 Western final. The last few minutes of this game, including the shootout OT, were pure nailbiting drama. Jason Clermont converts a 3rd & twentysomething. Then Duncan O'Mahony kicks his longest FG of the year to force OT. Paul McCallum turns around and misses a 17yd chip shot on Saskatchewan's first OT series. Coach Wally Buono then shows complete confidence in O'Mahony, as he had done in OT of a regular season game against Toronto earlier that year, by sending him out on the Lions' second play of our following series, and he promptly kicks the game-winning FG.

1. 1994 Grey Cup. Easily the biggest moment in the Lions' history at BC Place. It may never be surpassed. I think I could write twice as much about this one game as I already have so far in this post, so let me just point out some of the bigger moments I remember, aside from the ending, which practically everybody here knows. Kent Austin's 1st qtr int that gets returned for a TD. Charles Gordon's pickoff of a Tracy Ham pass, and the TD return. Austin's injury on the Lions' last offensive series of the first half, and Danny MacManus playing the entire 2nd half. Tom Europe's recovery of a Tracy Ham fumble near the BC goal line. The 3rd quarter fake FG, which Darren Flutie runs out of bounds at the Baltimore 9yd line, almost right in front of my second row seat. Danny Mac's 1yd "rushing" TD on the ensuing 3rd & goal (you have to put rushing in quotes when it applies to Danny Mac). The controversial Ray Alexander catch on the Lions' penultimate offensive series, one of only three completions thrown by Danny Mac on the day. Lui missing the 37yd FG attempt later on the same drive, and the stunned reaction from the crowd. And then the last play. It's already been reminisced to death, so I'll waste no further words on it.

So that's it -- my top ten moments from 100 games I've attended at BC Place. I hope in another ten years or so I'll be able to do a best of 200. Until then, I'd be happy to hear from others if I've made any mistakes in this post, and also about some of the other moments I may have forgotten about or not been present for.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

This night will be remembered by many of the faithful on here, myself included, for what happened immediately afterward: one of the most ill-informed, idiotic ramblings in the history of sports talk radio

What was it???
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:The Lions' next home game against the Eskimos represents a personal milestone for me.
Great post, I am way behind you in games attended. Makes me realize how many great moments have occurred over the years at BC Place. My biggest regret is that I was too young to ever get a crack at seeing a Lions game at Empire. Have a great 100th on Friday Night!!!
orphan cub
Champion

that is an amazing post, thanks very much for sharing. to many more! :beer:
2006 Grey Cup Champions
nelson95
Legend

Great post

How about the worst moments? :lol:

That finale vs Edmonton where the kids were allowed on the field post-game and with the Lions winning were all ready to go, then Gizmo ran back that punt to tie it. OT was delayed as the kids ran on the field anyway and choas ensued.
The loss against a weak Hamilton team that dropped the Flutie-MVP led LIONS from 1st to 3rd in another ill-fated finale.
Simmons knee injury last year

Truly many great times though: #5,2 and 1 rank up there along with the beating of the Rocket Argos before 40,000+ and the magic of Mervyn in the early 80s.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Lyin' Guy wrote:
This night will be remembered by many of the faithful on here, myself included, for what happened immediately afterward: one of the most ill-informed, idiotic ramblings in the history of sports talk radio

What was it???
Some nitwit gave a "sports" talk radio slot on CKNW to another nitwit - Dan "Gopher Boy I" (Danny Maciocia being Gopher Boy II) Russell who abused the opportunity that night top go on an anti- BC Lions "running up the score" tirade. :roll: :thdn:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Good post. I realize your frame of reference is limited to your 99 visits to BC Place since '94 but for me I was at opening night which was memorable for that event if not for the soccer game itself. Most of us will think back to the monster battles with the Blue Bombers in the early to mid '80s which were some of the great football games of all time. The wild '91 season is memorable for those 6 OT games and in particular the Argo game which BC won 51-37 (IIRC).
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
Lyin' Guy wrote:
What was it???
Some nitwit gave a "sports" talk radio slot on CKNW to another nitwit - Dan "Gopher Boy I" (Danny Maciocia being Gopher Boy II) Russell who abused the opportunity that night top go on an anti- BC Lions "running up the score" tirade. :roll: :thdn:
It's worth noting that he got very little, if any, support for his viewpoint, either from callers that night, or any members of the media reacting to it in the days following. And of course, the fact that his outburst occurred on a Friday night, on the eve of a two (three?) week vacation -- after which time it had all blown over and Canucks' training camp was underway to fill his airtime -- made it look all the more calculated.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:The wild '91 season is memorable for those 6 OT games and in particular the Argo game which BC won 51-37 (IIRC).
The Lions won that game by a score of 52-41. 53,527 was on hand to see the Lions come from behind 21-3. The win was highlighted by a kickoff return for a TD by WR Raymond Ethridge in OT. But despite that, Ethridge was released a few games later.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:That finale vs Edmonton where the kids were allowed on the field post-game and with the Lions winning were all ready to go, then Gizmo ran back that punt to tie it. OT was delayed as the kids ran on the field anyway and choas ensued.
Yeah, the finale of the 1992 season in which the Lions were a horrible 3-15.
The loss against a weak Hamilton team that dropped the Flutie-MVP led LIONS from 1st to 3rd in another ill-fated finale.
The finale in the 1991 season in which the Lions suffered a 26-18 setback to the last place Tiger-Cats. A win would have clinched first in the west, but instead they had to settle for third and no home playoff game.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc:

You described the 1994 Grey Cup very accurately. I've asked this question on previous posts before, but I'd like to ask you now. Since you attended the 1994 Grey Cup, what did you think of:

1. The fact that so many people stormed the field after the game that the Grey Cup presentation had to be moved into the locker room. Were you disappointed that there was no on-field presentation?

2. The fact that Karl Anthony of Baltimore was voted the game MVP and Lui Passaglia had to settle for Most Outstanding Canadian while Sean Millington was left with nothing.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I was at that game too and yes I was dissappointed that there was no onfield presentation but IMO the whole thing was ridiculous. They trotted out the Grey Cup, and then it dissappeared. At the end of the game, most of us didn't know that the change had been made and I still don't understand it. I have seen plenty of Grey Cups awarded on the field with fans present so I chalk it up to a cowardly, worry wart who made some silly decision based on some needless fears.

As for the Karl Anthony thing that also was far from smooth. Initially, they announced Lui Passaglia as the game MVP and then they changed it to MOC. Karl Anthony who was among the more steamed about the controversial Ray Alexander catch was somewhat less than gracious at first go saying that he didn't want it, that the game was setup so an American team couldn't win etc.

Basically it looked like the league really didn't know what they were doing at the end of the game. They seem confused and disorganized which really detracted from an otherwise good event.

Speaking of monster Bomber Games in the 80's. I remember a 44-6 BC trouncing of the BB where Larry Crawford managed to knock the ball from Deiter Brock and catch it and run for the TD before Deiter even knew where the ball was. I believe it was the last BB game for Deiter Brock at BC place before the Brock- Clements trade.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Of course I was disappointed that there was no onfield trophy presentation, but since it was less than six months after the Stanley Cup riot, the officials couldn't take any chances of trapping the players in the midst of a similar incident, what with so many fans spilling onto the field.

As for the individual awards, I don't recall that they were announced at the game. Perhaps they were, but it would have been impossible to hear over all the cheering. And I didn't hear about how CBC fumbled the announcements until later that night when I got back to Victoria, where I lived at the time. BTW, wasn't it Millington that was MOC (initially errroneously announced as MOP), and Lui that left emptyhanded (initially erroneously announced as MOC)? I recall that a local auto dealer stepped in afterward and presented Lui with a truck as a consolation prize (not to mention it was a slick PR move on the dealer's part).
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:As for the individual awards, I don't recall that they were announced at the game. Perhaps they were, but it would have been impossible to hear over all the cheering. And I didn't hear about how CBC fumbled the announcements until later that night when I got back to Victoria, where I lived at the time. BTW, wasn't it Millington that was MOC (initially errroneously announced as MOP), and Lui that left emptyhanded (initially erroneously announced as MOC)? I recall that a local auto dealer stepped in afterward and presented Lui with a truck as a consolation prize (not to mention it was a slick PR move on the dealer's part).
Well, I'm not sure what was actually announced at the game.

But on CBC covering the game, this is how it was initially announced:

1. Lui Passaglia was the Grey Cup MVP.
2. Sean Millington was the Grey Cup MOC.

But afterwards, it was corrected to say that Karl Anthony was MVP, Lui Passaglia was demoted to MOC, while Sean Millington was left to nothing.

In the Grey Cup:

Karl Anothony got an interception early in the game in the end zone. Not long afterwards, he caught a lateral on an interception and scored a TD.

Lui Passaglia was 4-6 on field goals.

Sean Millington rushed for 85 yards.

I suppose it's difficult to choose an MVP since nobody really stood out. Kent Austin was 6-16 with three interceptions, while Danny McManus went 3-7, with the three completions being long ones.
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
sj-roc wrote:As for the individual awards, I don't recall that they were announced at the game. Perhaps they were, but it would have been impossible to hear over all the cheering. And I didn't hear about how CBC fumbled the announcements until later that night when I got back to Victoria, where I lived at the time. BTW, wasn't it Millington that was MOC (initially errroneously announced as MOP), and Lui that left emptyhanded (initially erroneously announced as MOC)? I recall that a local auto dealer stepped in afterward and presented Lui with a truck as a consolation prize (not to mention it was a slick PR move on the dealer's part).
Well, I'm not sure what was actually announced at the game.

But on CBC covering the game, this is how it was initially announced:

1. Lui Passaglia was the Grey Cup MVP.
2. Sean Millington was the Grey Cup MOC.

But afterwards, it was corrected to say that Karl Anthony was MVP, Lui Passaglia was demoted to MOC, while Sean Millington was left to nothing.

In the Grey Cup:

Karl Anothony got an interception early in the game in the end zone. Not long afterwards, he caught a lateral on an interception and scored a TD.

Lui Passaglia was 4-6 on field goals.

Sean Millington rushed for 85 yards.

I suppose it's difficult to choose an MVP since nobody really stood out. Kent Austin was 6-16 with three interceptions, while Danny McManus went 3-7, with the three completions being long ones.
Lions win! Very gratifying victory with the subplot being the American vs Canadian O and D lines. Had to love Scrivenors bandana that day, no give in the trenches, and we won the war. :rockin:
Entertainment value = an all time low