Who's Next????

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The Leos were struggling and suddenly Young was gone, followed by Warren. It would appear that football strategy was not producing winning efforts and the creation a winning atmosphere was not being accomplished.. without a strong message to the players in terms of releasing players. The way the players were dispatched also sent a strong message. How it is being interpreted over the long run will be interesting.

The Leos may not need to release any more players this season. However, should the Leos falter again it would appear that this method of motivation may become a pattern.

So, if the Leos falter who could be next?

Some thoughts are:

Otis Floyd: The new leader of the Leos linebacking corps.. Floyd is in his option year...could he be singled out? The Leos know they have a lot of linebacking depth. However, it will likely be the off-season and Floyd's contract demands that determine his future.

Chris Wilson: His sack production has been dismal, he is easy to run against, and he get's caught slanting down on play action. He could be a candidate. The Leos have always loved his potential...how long they will wait is the big question. Whitney Bell awaits his opportunity.

Kory Banks: He's still the best cover halfback in the league but he has had his struggles in playing some of the zone defences the Leos like to run. He makes a lot of money and he hasn't created the turnovers the Leos were hoping for. They saw Banks as a shut down halfback who would add a new ball hawking spirit to the pass defence. He could feel more intense heat if things go awry.

Carl Kidd: Kidd seems to be a favorite of Ritchie even though his play doesn't deserve it. His special teams ability is a major reason he is still out there and if that slips he could feel some heat. The Leos can't keep a talent like Johnson off the playing field forever.

Jason Jiminez: Jiminez has been a big upgrade over Mantyka from last season with Mantyka severely restricted by his brace. However he has been outshined by Murphy and has made a couple of errors even though his overall play has been very good. He occupies an import spot on the offensive line and the pressure will be constantly on him.

Ryan Thelwell: The smooth Ryan Thelwell has been injured a lot this season. As a Canadian receiver with experience the Leos need him...for this year at least. He's a favorite of mine and will play this season and perhaps even next but he will be under heavier pressure next year.

Ryan Phillips: Phillips was so good as a rookie, taking on some of the best receivers in the league.. but he hasn't been as impressive as the Leos nickel back. He will come under more scrutiny.

Mark Washington: Washington's improved play over the last two games has been dramatic. He's a very good tackler. However he is getting older and has struggled with coverage up until the past two games. However he always says the right things. Wally and Ritchie see him as their kinda guy and is not someone who will ever get into Wally's doghouse. He'll likely play all season and will be reassessed next year.

T.J.Acree: Acree's days are numbered and will be back on the practice roster once Clermont returns unless he really does something to impress in the next few weeks. The Leos need a speedster as their import reciever in this position once Clermont comes back.

Kelly Bates: Kelly was under pressure at training camp and won the battle over Rasouli. As a Canadian guard he would not be released and would remain on the active roster but he will need to continue to play well or still could lose his starting assignment to Rasouli.

Lyle Green: Lyle Green has been misused, underappreciated, and has always kept his mouth shut. He is in a good spot right now due to his experience, his knowledge of the offence (they've actually been using him sometimes in the bunch formation as a change up in the two back set due to his recieving skills) and no back up import tailback. Green can play tailback as can Norha until the Leos look at other imports. Green should be fine this season but the Leos decision as to whether they want to go with a big blocking fullback for Smith rather than the versataille Green will likely be made next year.

Any thoughts? Additions? The Leos players must be asking the question...."Who could be next"???
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
LionPacker

If you really want to make an impact for the better, release Dickenson and do it now. I don't think I can survive one more INT in the endzone when all we need is a FG. :bang:
Balraj
All Star

Forget about the int. in the endzone. It's over now, done with, we lost that game. If we didn't have dickenson we wouldn't be where we are right now.
LionPacker

Balraj wrote:Forget about the int. in the endzone. It's over now, done with, we lost that game. If we didn't have dickenson we wouldn't be where we are right now.
THE interception? It was the 2nd one that killed us!

With Printers, we would be 6-0 right now.
LFITQ
Team Captain

LionPacker wrote: With Printers, we would be 6-0 right now.
Oh man these type of comments aren't even worth the bandwidth they are using up.

If you think you know football and the CFL you would know what a waste of time and effort those comments are.

If you can't figure out - use the search function on here as I'm not about to bring up the multitude of reasons why as they have been dissected to death on here. And if you have lurked as long as you say you have you know EXACTLY what I am talking about.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
David
Team Captain

I feel a little uneasy about 'predicting' who's next on the chopping block for the Leos. I'm not saying your post is distasteful Blitz; it is food for thought. Barring injury though, I'd be surprised if the players you mention aren't on the team come October.

The two players in question were released for essentially the same reasons: the coach/GM saw a diminution in production from their respective positions, heard the two option year players complain about their contracts (I want to emphasize allegedly as we don't know for sure. However, it was reported that Sam Young was disgruntled about Kory Banks's $190,000 salary compared to his, and Antonio Warren felt he deserved to be paid as the best all-round back in the league) and, in both cases, the coach/GM felt he had a capable replacement.

If the club really struggles then sure, no one's job is really safe. But to imply that the coach is doing it strictly for motivational purposes may be a tad unfair to Wally Buono.

DH 8)
Last edited by David on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

THE interception? It was the 2nd one that killed us!

With Printers, we would be 6-0 right now
Printers is gone.. LionPacker so it's academic whether we would be 6-0 with him or not. The quarterback controversy took up a lot of bandwidth here last season and most don't want to go there again. I was a big Printers fan and have the scars from this website to prove it!! :wink:

Dickenson has thrown more interceptions this season than he did all last season. However, in one way I'm happy about it. Last season he went underneath too much and didn't challenge defences vertically. It hurt in the Western Final. Our offence involves going downfield more this year. That will mean that Dickenson can get rid of the ball quicker than waiting for long crossing patterns all the time. It means a more complex passing attack. It's also going to mean a few more interceptions but we are much more difficult to defend. CFL defences are also catching on the five pack and six pack receiver sets and using a lot of strategies to do a better job of containing them.

Quarterbacks with experience and who are excellent at reading defences like Dickenson and Cavillo are finding it more challenging. The variety of defences, often disguised well, being thrown at quarterbacks this season and last is often mind boggling.

Dickenson is our quarterback and will be our starter this year unless he is injured. He brings a lot of attributes to the position including smarts, courage, and dedication. I compared him to Printers last season but I won't this year because it's like Terrell Owens saying the Eagles would have won with Favre as their quarterback. Wasn't going to happen so there is no point to it.

I'm really pulling for Printers to be successful in Kansas City and Dickenson to be really successful for our Leos this year. Should Printers ever want to return to the CFL I will more than share my thoughts but right now, other than owning his rights this year, it's something I try hard to put away and pull for the 2006 edition of the Leos.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised you put Thelwell on that list. A Canadian to boot... don't think he's an option. *poop* he would really have to stink it up.

JohnHenry - Paris?

Why not just trade the team for the Ti-cats?

My guess *if* it happens is Kidd. Wally is giving vets a chance (Warren over Smith) and now Kidd over Johnson... I believe Johnson would be the next to get a starting job.

So it shall be written, so it shall be done.
The_Pauser
Legend

Perhaps the recent string of releases will also send a message to the underperforming players to get their butts in gear. Or perhaps the players will become more like a team and be closer to eachother because of Wally's tirade?
Roar you Lions roar!
Rammer
Team Captain

OUt of that list I see a couple of familiar names that continue to come up here after losses.

Washington - I am beginning to think that we see way less of him in comparison to other weak side HB's around the league, or otherwise Wally would of found a replacement for him.

Wilson - Lions need more from this spot than what Wilson is giving and it is also more glaring given our DT's being among the best in the business and Johnson on the otherside. If you look at the amount of big plays that McKay has done in less time, I begin to wonder if that isn't a slow transition in process.

Kidd - I recall when Kidd was the play maker, hard to continue on that level, but the dropoff is not acceptable for a position that is/should be easy to find a replacement, especially when that replacement is already on the Lions in Jamal Johnson.

Acree- He gets an honourable mention, as his time with the Lions is significant enough now that he should be producing when given the shot.
Entertainment value = an all time low
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

I really wonder about Floyd, Banks, and Aaron Lockett.

Otis is a stud, but just hasn't looked the same since his injury and since B51 went east.....and the dreaded "option" word here.

Banks has been very un-noticeable this season....so far. For 170K, you have got to be All CFL. Maybe the best is yet to come......I'm hoping.

Lockett has been....well Lockett, with the exception of 0 TD returns. The Simmons experiment bit Pasquale hard in the keyster, and maybe gace Lockett a few more chances. If you just want someone to catch the ball and drop....you could put anyone back there. And as a receiver....even with all the injuries, i still don't see him lining up.

All speculation of course.....but makes for good barroom or tailgate discussion. :beer:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

Banks has been very un-noticeable this season....so far. For 170K, you have got to be All CFL. Maybe the best is yet to come......I'm hoping.
He got his 1st INT of the season in the 1st half of tonight's game.
LionPacker

Edit
Last edited by LionPacker on Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.