Who's Next????

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

LionPacker

I'm really pulling for Printers to be successful in Kansas City and Dickenson to be really successful for our Leos this year. Should Printers ever want to return to the CFL I will more than share my thoughts but right now, other than owning his rights this year, it's something I try hard to put away and pull for the 2006 edition of the Leos.
You and me both Blitz. I'm done now.
Blitz
Team Captain

Wilson - Lions need more from this spot than what Wilson is giving and it is also more glaring given our DT's being among the best in the business and Johnson on the otherside. If you look at the amount of big plays that McKay has done in less time, I begin to wonder if that isn't a slow transition in process.

Kidd - I recall when Kidd was the play maker, hard to continue on that level, but the dropoff is not acceptable for a position that is/should be easy to find a replacement, especially when that replacement is already on the Lions in Jamal Johnson.
I think your're very right Rammer. McKay is getting more game reps in passing situations and he's been playing with a bad back for the past three games if you include today's game against the Argos. McKay looked great out there against Toronto. Wilson's sacks were garbage sacks. McKay had great pressure when he was out there and strong penetration. I really like him and I can see the day when we have two starting Canadian defensive ends. I think that would be fantastic. Canadians can play more than offensive line, defensive tackle, safety, and reciever when given the opportunity.

Kidd looked mediocre again against the Argos..can't get there on the blitz and Johnson ( I think it's Johnson..the Canadian Argos running back) put a move on Kidd in the open field that made Kidd's feet look cemented to the turf out there today. I sure hope we don't let Johnson (our linebacker) get away and lose him because we stuck with Kidd too long. Do you know Johnson's contract status Rammer??
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Wilson - Lions need more from this spot than what Wilson is giving and it is also more glaring given our DT's being among the best in the business and Johnson on the otherside. If you look at the amount of big plays that McKay has done in less time, I begin to wonder if that isn't a slow transition in process.

Kidd - I recall when Kidd was the play maker, hard to continue on that level, but the dropoff is not acceptable for a position that is/should be easy to find a replacement, especially when that replacement is already on the Lions in Jamal Johnson.
I think your're very right Rammer. McKay is getting more game reps in passing situations and he's been playing with a bad back for the past three games if you include today's game against the Argos. McKay looked great out there against Toronto. Wilson's sacks were garbage sacks. McKay had great pressure when he was out there and strong penetration. I really like him and I can see the day when we have two starting Canadian defensive ends. I think that would be fantastic. Canadians can play more than offensive line, defensive tackle, safety, and reciever when given the opportunity.

Kidd looked mediocre again against the Argos..can't get there on the blitz and Johnson ( I think it's Johnson..the Canadian Argos running back) put a move on Kidd in the open field that made Kidd's feet look cemented to the turf out there today. I sure hope we don't let Johnson (our linebacker) get away and lose him because we stuck with Kidd too long. Do you know Johnson's contract status Rammer??
It is Johnson the Argos RB, he along with DA give the Argos their best backfield IMHO, so it was nice to dominate them in the game today. Johnson also made Korey Banks look like he was stuck in cement with a move down the sideline. That is two games in a row, KB has been in position to make the play only to let the receiver go untouched.

JJ, was likely signed to a 2 + 1 contract, making next season as his option window.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

LionPacker wrote:
Balraj wrote:Forget about the int. in the endzone. It's over now, done with, we lost that game. If we didn't have dickenson we wouldn't be where we are right now.
THE interception? It was the 2nd one that killed us!

With Printers, we would be 6-0 right now.
Maybe even 7-0!
CXT

Blitz wrote: Jason Jiminez: Jiminez has been a big upgrade over Mantyka from last season with Mantyka severely restricted by his brace. However he has been outshined by Murphy and has made a couple of errors even though his overall play has been very good. He occupies an import spot on the offensive line and the pressure will be constantly on him.
Isn't it a bit too soon for Jimenez to be on the chopping block? Do yo u want to take a chance on messing up the O-line while searching for that "purrfect" lineman.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Wilson's sacks were garbage sacks.
Please explain.........
Lloyd
Blitz
Team Captain

Please explain.........
I'll try Shi Zi Mi! I really shouldn't have called the first sack a 'garbage' sack. Wilson had taken much too deep a pass rush and Allan waited in the pocket way too long and Wilson was able to come back from behind Allan to sack him. It was much more of a coverage sack but Wilson didn't get to Allan until the play had gone on for more than five seconds.

On the second sack Wilson was effectively blocked at the line of scrimmage. Johnson and others flushed Allan right up to Wilson, who made the sack just behind the line of scrimmage.

What I probably should have said was that Wilson's sacks were not the result of a great individual pass rush or an outstanding move to get to the quarterback.

Hope this is a better clarification Shi Zi Mi!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I don't know about Wally's chopping block. I get the impression based on his comments that if a guy becomes available (NFL and/or CFL) that is better fit for the Lions, he's gonna go get him. I think it's a delicate balance because you want some chemistry and experience but at the same time if you can improve, why don't you. I definately think there will be come tweaking of various CFL teams when the NFL cuts start. I don't even want to consider who but I won't be surprised if there is some changes.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Please explain.........
I'll try Shi Zi Mi! I really shouldn't have called the first sack a 'garbage' sack. Wilson had taken much too deep a pass rush and Allan waited in the pocket way too long and Wilson was able to come back from behind Allan to sack him. It was much more of a coverage sack but Wilson didn't get to Allan until the play had gone on for more than five seconds.

On the second sack Wilson was effectively blocked at the line of scrimmage. Johnson and others flushed Allan right up to Wilson, who made the sack just behind the line of scrimmage.

What I probably should have said was that Wilson's sacks were not the result of a great individual pass rush or an outstanding move to get to the quarterback.

Hope this is a better clarification Shi Zi Mi!!
Well......I guess I still call a sack, a sack.....

IMHO, while Wilson struggles to finish his rush with a sack(coaching issue) he does cause a lot of pressures on opposition QB's and does a pretty decent job of contain. From what I saw on saturday, he had a helluva game, probably his best of the year.

What the guy lacks is a mentor to school him on technique as the coaches don't seem to be providing it.

Adam Braidwood recently said that he has learned more tips on technique from Joe Montford in the last 2 weeks then he did his entire time in college.

What you can't teach is athletic ability, something that Wilson has in spades.....what's lacking is someone to teach him how to use those God given abilities.......and if that someone would ever come forward, IMHO, Wilson could develop into one of the best DE's in the CFL.

Even Eric Tillman picked him to have a breakout year back in June.
Lloyd
Blitz
Team Captain

What the guy lacks is a mentor to school him on technique as the coaches don't seem to be providing it.
What you can't teach is athletic ability, something that Wilson has in spades.....what's lacking is someone to teach him how to use those God given abilities.......and if that someone would ever come forward, IMHO, Wilson could develop into one of the best DE's in the CFL.
We so often see things the same Shi Zi Mi but on this one we think a lot differently. First of all Wilson has been mentored a lot by James "Quick' Parker who has spent a lot of time workin with him. The Leos staff have really tried to get Wilson to become better on his pass rush angles.

Wilson is fast and athletic...no doubt about it. However, he is tall and lean and runs upright and is therefore easy to block if contact. Therefore he is mainly a speed rusher who gets pressure if he can get outside his man but he is also easy to get pushed out of his lane to the quarterback. It's why he gets few sacks. He is good at slanting down to get into the backfield on a running play but he is also often fooled by play action. His speed helps him contain and sometimes recover.

Brent Johnson is so good because first of all he runs low, uses his hands extremely well, and has all the tools. He can speed rush, bull rush, and technique rush. When you look at McKay he is like a Johnson at his early stage of development. He is a much better pass rusher already than Wilson because he can also speed rush, bull rush, and isn't leveraged out of there easily.

Sometimes I think Wilson would be better at linebacker than rush end. Speed rushers like Quick Parker or Ron Estay, Grover Covington, Bobby Jurason, David Benefield to mention a few were built lower to the ground and therefore were hard to leverage out of there.

I felt, when you asked the question, you were prepared to defend Wilson and that's great. I hope I'm proven wrong. Wilson was a project last season and it's his athletic ability and speed that the Leos were and are still high on. However, I'm not convinced he'll become a top tier defensive end. But then again, if we always saw things the same way all the time..things would get kinda dull. I respect your opinion but at this point I look at it differently.
CXT

Hey Blitz is Jimenez still on the chopping block? LOL
Im glad he has had a chance to prove himself. All those NFL teams cut him too soon.
Rammer
Team Captain

CXT wrote:Hey Blitz is Jimenez still on the chopping block? LOL
Im glad he has had a chance to prove himself. All those NFL teams cut him too soon.
That depends if you ask Jim Popp or not? :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low