Stubler's Seven Up Defense - Photobucket video

Serious Discussion of Football Terminology and Tactics.
This Room is named after the late Annis Stukus.

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

McManus and Black showed some of the ideas in the Argonauts "Seven Up" defense.

Here is a clip they showed before the Argonauts demolition of the Eskimos today.

I captured this video with SnagIt and then uploaded it to photobucket.

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 ... efense.flv

The defense is very aggressive. It gives the QB almost no time to make a read or make a decision. I like it a lot. I would like to see something aggressive instead of the very passive 3-man-rush / 9-man-coverage package.
MacNews
Team Captain

Thanks WCJ that is a great clip.

I remember one play where the Lions blitzed with Banks but he got blocked and Winnipeg completed the pass. I wish we used the 4-man front more.
Blitz
Team Captain

Thanks WCJ that is a great clip.

I remember one play where the Lions blitzed with Banks but he got blocked and Winnipeg completed the pass. I wish we used the 4-man front more.
Thanks West Coast Joe! It's a defense that plays with fire if the defense doesn't get to the quarterback or he can escape. That defense will work better against certain teams but if we keep Joe Smith in to block and have our five offensive lineman do a good job we have man coverage.

That means it's Geroy time!! I like the way that Ritchie mixes his coverages and defenses better. He goes with multiple packages! There is also nothing wrong with the three man or even two man line in certain situations. We rush two, three, four, five, and six players at various times and we can send the blitz from everywhere on the football field when we want to!

I'd love Kruck/Dorazio to face the "7 Up defense" of Toronto's in the Grey Cup!! It's a CFL version of the Chicago Bears 60 defense! They have the defensive backs to play it but I'd rather take my chances with seven guys coming with Jarious's ability to throw deep against man coverage!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I had mentioned Stubler's "7 Up" defence in another blog. This is my original thread on it.

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 ... efense.flv

There are "horses for courses," and there are many coaching styles and preferences.

As discussed in a number of places, my preference is for attacking football. Put pressure on all over the field, both on O and D.

That is one reason why I was very happy when the Lions brought Rich Stubler in.

(I would say Dan Dorazio is taking a more attack-oriented, physical approach to O Line play as well.)

The "7 Up" was a D run by Stubler with the Argonauts. 4 D Linemen and 3 LBs at the LOS overloading against the pass blockers. It is very hard for the O to determine which men to block, and it is easy for them to make a mistake. It puts maximum pressure on the QB, no time to make more than 1 quick read.

Not everyone's preference, obviously, but it certainly is mine. I'd rather go down battling and challenging and shooting all of our bullets, and using all of our weapons, than to be passively trying to protect or prevent.

And as I have posted before, Rod Laver, tennis great, had a similar philosophy. He said that when his back was up against the wall, he went for the lines. He shot to kill. He went all out. And, he said, more often than not, he would find that he did not die at all. His opponent did.

Coaches (and fans) have their preferences. Personally, I had seen enough of the ultra conservative approach of our Lions. Prevent, vanilla defence. Predictable O and D.

I like our new approach. No guarantees of ultimate success. But another bonus is the entertainment value. It is fun to watch, once again.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Thats what I want....entertainment value. Of course I prefer to watch the BC Lions WIN games but entertaining losses are okay too. It is tough to watch games where you know what an oppossing offence is going to do and then they run a successful play against BC's defence. Usually converting another second and long.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's early but teams seem to be blitzing more this year, and sack totals are up. Teams are averaging 2.4 sacks a game. For the past two seasons, the league average has been 2.1 sacks per team per game.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From the Rider game ...

Does anyone recall that passing play where Durant had the ball, was in the pocket, and our ends had him contained ... Brent Johnson and probably Pittman, but they just faced him, and did not go to him. Johnson basically did jumping jacks in front of him to harass his pass.

If they were coached to "contain" him like that, without running to him to tackle him, I think I might throw something around the room. A fan I was talking to today thought they faced him like that intentionally, as if the concern was that he would fake them out if they went right after him. To me that would be like not trying to tackle a running back because he might fake you out. You have to go for the tackle. If he beats you, that is another problem, but you have to go for the tackle.

I cannot believe that a defensive system would have that approach, but with Wally's conservatism, I have to think that it is possible. I will try to find the play on TSN, snag the video and paste it to youtube or photobucket.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Can't remember the time of the play but there was one where I was supposed Brent Johnson didn't keep a run right to the QB while containing him to the inside but he stopped. I wondered if he was told to do not make a move that Durant would beat them and just contain and get the hands up or if he felt he had no time to get there but the ball didn't get released and it looked not so smart.

The Riders got the Lions number these days and it will take time for the new D talent to gel.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy